Microbially induced corrosion

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Clodi said:

They has samples of the product applied to steel, it seemed very hard and knock resistant. The boat is coming out for some topside alterations and although she's not due a 'blacking' yet I'll get her pressure washed and stick a coat of something on whilst she's out. Then the year after she'll go in for a full paint job & I'll decide what to do either 2-pack or whatever?. The boat is only 3 years old by the way (a sail-away)

I'm sure it must be 5 years since I first saw Keelblack at Crick show, and was suitably impressed.  However, even if the manufacturer had made the rather schoolboy error of not blacking a boat with it to show punters photos and evidence of its effectiveness before trying to flog it to us, they've had 5 years since - and still haven't provided that most basic proof.   For the cost of a few tins,  they could have had a book full of testimonials and photographic evidence by now, but instead were still waiting for a couple of guys here (who took a risk with their own money and boats) to report back.  Suspicious?  I am.

As for bio corrosive attack, this was discussed here a while back.  I think there's possibly a lot of boats out there with hull side pitting that their owners have put down to galvanic action which might well be bio issues.  Hard to nail down though, eh?

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As for bio corrosive attack, this was discussed here a while back.  I think there's possibly a lot of boats out there with hull side pitting that their owners have put down to galvanic action which might well be bio issues.  Hard to nail down though, eh?

Wasn’t it Alan who had to have the whole side of his hull replated last year? While the other boats on the same mooring were fine. I wondered then if it might be MIC. 

13 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I live in an area that has these 'rust bugs', in fact there is one place locally called Reelig Glen, Moniack where it is so prolific that the ground has an eerie red tinge to it. But it doesn't blanket cover the whole area - it is very patchy because it needs very specific living conditions. So while it's prolific in Reelig Glen it's not in the canal which is only a stones throw away. It can quite literally be in one field and not in the next.

I'm no expert on the munchy rust bugs but I wouldn't have thought that they would infect all of a canal system and all of the marinas in a specific area - one marina possibly. I can understand your concern and I'm not saying that you shouldn't be vigilant for it but I don't think it is something to actively worry about.  

Hope this help with your sleep :)

13 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I live in an area that has these 'rust bugs', in fact there is one place locally called Reelig Glen, Moniack where it is so prolific that the ground has an eerie red tinge to it. But it doesn't blanket cover the whole area - it is very patchy because it needs very specific living conditions. So while it's prolific in Reelig Glen it's not in the canal which is only a stones throw away. It can quite literally be in one field and not in the next.

I'm no expert on the munchy rust bugs but I wouldn't have thought that they would infect all of a canal system and all of the marinas in a specific area - one marina possibly. I can understand your concern and I'm not saying that you shouldn't be vigilant for it but I don't think it is something to actively worry about.  

Hope this help with your sleep :)

As this bug is in the water entering the canal and the canal is moving, can an area infested become clear and vice versa?  Or if it has to be the right environment for it to breed would it just die out?

36 minutes ago, LoneCruiser said:

As this bug is in the water entering the canal and the canal is moving, can an area infested become clear and vice versa?  Or if it has to be the right environment for it to breed would it just die out?

To be honest I'm not really sure, It may be that it just becomes dormant rather than die. But like you say the water in the canal moves al bit it in some parts quite slowly. There was a thread about this rust bug before but not many people are talking about it so I really don't think you should be too worried about it. 

23 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

To be honest I'm not really sure, It may be that it just becomes dormant rather than die. But like you say the water in the canal moves al bit it in some parts quite slowly. There was a thread about this rust bug before but not many people are talking about it so I really don't think you should be too worried about it. 

I think it's a bit like Galvanic Isolators which I mentioned in the thread. Some swear by them others say there is little need to worry. Ultimately you need to make your own decision, which is right' 

many thanks for your information my friend, much appreciated!

23 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Foss-Ditch is one of my 'locals', but its got a bit shallow and from the Trent I cannot get past Saxilby (but there is a great Pizza shop there)

Lat time down I counted 11 dead deer between the Trent & Saxilby, they don't seem to know how to use the deer ramps.

I have heard of this amazing pizza palace! You need to see how shallow the Lanky is!! I have been sat on mud for 3 weeks!!! Not able to move!! Lots of boats have ended up with damaged props. They even had to shut the Glasson flight of locks and the Ribble Link was all but shut down as well to conserve water!!  I would be happy on the Foss Ditch ad you call it but this bug has put me right off the idea!

Best regards

David

5 minutes ago, LoneCruiser said:

I have heard of this amazing pizza palace! You need to see how shallow the Lanky is!! I have been sat on mud for 3 weeks!!! Not able to move!! Lots of boats have ended up with damaged props. They even had to shut the Glasson flight of locks and the Ribble Link was all but shut down as well to conserve water!!  I would be happy on the Foss Ditch ad you call it but this bug has put me right off the idea!

Best regards

David

PS oh Deer!!! That does not sound good!

On 01/08/2018 at 22:04, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looks to me like a load of techno-babble. Precious little proper science in the article and plenty of scare stuff.

As others have said, it is a thickly veiled advert for Keelblack, which has a 'mixed' reputation on here.

While you're correct that there is precious little science in the article, there are plenty of other peer-reviewed scientific papers detailing the corrosion of mild steel by sulphate reducing bacteria. 

26 minutes ago, blackrose said:

While you're correct that there is precious little science in the article, there are plenty of other peer-reviewed scientific papers detailing the corrosion of mild steel by sulphate reducing bacteria. 

In canals? Can you cite one please? I'd like to read it.

Much obliged if you know of one.

I think out last visit to Burton Waters by boat was two or three years ago. An overheat due to picking up something on the intake such as a bag or  possibly just vegetation at Saxilby  served as a final deterrent after many such experiences . We  have since given up on the ditch but it is no doubt perfectly fine in a narrowboat or similarly drafted cruiser.  We  may revisit  the Fossditch when I am very old and consider a river only boat.

I must say the Fossditch other than the bits at each end  is possibly the most boring stretch of water making the Witham below Bardney  by comparison  seem much more interesting.

The deer ramps on the ditch near Torksey  have long since been a source of amusement but it is nevertheless not nice see the deer have perished in this way . This s not a matter confined to the Foss ditch .

As far as steel eating bug is concerned I wonder if it is only an issue on the morning of April 1st .  if this was a problem al of the boats on the Fossdyke and in Brayford Pool and Burton Water  marina and the moorings at Torksey would have corrosion issues . Even GRP boats have metal bits submerged below the waterline.

13 minutes ago, MartynG said:

........must say the Fossditch other than the bits at each end  is possibly the most boring stretch of water making the Witham below Bardney  by comparison  seem much more interesting.

The most exciting thing about the Witham is trying to identify the different types of  the 'top-parts' of telegraph poles.

Due to the flood relieving high embankments you can only see the top 3 or 4 feet, but its amazing, and so entertaining seeing if you can spot one that has an extra 'insulator' on it - hours of amusement.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I was collecting some steel that I'd had chrome plated from a place in Leeds.

They have a number of other coating technologies available which I'm not at all familiar with including Xylan and cyanide copper.

Xylan looks very industrial (and none the worse for that) but cyanide copper is very pretty indeed.

Anybody know any more? (I didn't ask them at the time as they spent a long time looking for my job which should have been completed by Wednesday so I wasn't best pleased).

I have the dreaded Keelblack over the top of my Zinger out in July and the bottom of the boat was lovely apart from where I had damaged it!! even then the corrosion was light and confined to the damaged area only. I will use the keelblack next time, it has survived two years, is easy to spray on [four coats took under two hours] It took me longer to clean up and zinger the damaged areas than it did to black the boat. Pictures wouldnt help as all it would show after a steam pressure wash was a nice black surface the old keelblack did not come off so for me it was a total success. Now I applied the stuff on a nice warm day left it the required amount of time before refloating so I followed the instructions to the letter, maybe thats the reason my experience has been so positive? 

23 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have the dreaded Keelblack over the top of my Zinger out in July and the bottom of the boat was lovely apart from where I had damaged it!! even then the corrosion was light and confined to the damaged area only. I will use the keelblack next time, it has survived two years, is easy to spray on [four coats took under two hours] It took me longer to clean up and zinger the damaged areas than it did to black the boat. Pictures wouldnt help as all it would show after a steam pressure wash was a nice black surface the old keelblack did not come off so for me it was a total success. Now I applied the stuff on a nice warm day left it the required amount of time before refloating so I followed the instructions to the letter, maybe thats the reason my experience has been so positive? 

I applied mine to the letter as well but it didn't survive a diesel slick. Re Zinger, is that the standard paint type or the vaporized metal version like Debdale do?

1 hour ago, PMB said:

I applied mine to the letter as well but it didn't survive a diesel slick. Re Zinger, is that the standard paint type or the vaporized metal version like Debdale do?

Its the shotblasted and sprayed zinc type its not really paint more liquid zinc with something in it to make it hard

21 hours ago, peterboat said:

Its the shotblasted and sprayed zinc type its not really paint more liquid zinc with something in it to make it hard

we're having that on a new build, how have you found it? Been on for long? 

3 hours ago, PMB said:

we're having that on a new build, how have you found it? Been on for long? 

3 years it still looks like the day it was applied, I overcoated it with the zinger blacking which turned silver!! no detriment to protection but looked naff, so after a year it was docked and keelblacked for cosmetic purpose. After two years I docked it again to check it out, it was still perfik except where I had damaged it, so I cleaned up the damage applied zinger then keelblacked it again. Anyway I have decided that the protection is good enough to leave the boat 4 years between dockings in future, whilst it is expensive the protection is superb and in my view worth the money.

10 hours ago, peterboat said:

3 years it still looks like the day it was applied, I overcoated it with the zinger blacking which turned silver!! no detriment to protection but looked naff, so after a year it was docked and keelblacked for cosmetic purpose. After two years I docked it again to check it out, it was still perfik except where I had damaged it, so I cleaned up the damage applied zinger then keelblacked it again. Anyway I have decided that the protection is good enough to leave the boat 4 years between dockings in future, whilst it is expensive the protection is superb and in my view worth the money.

Peter, this and your earlier report is the first reasonably meaningful assessment I've seen of Keelblack, so thanks. Obviously you've got protection beneath it so it doesn't really tell us how well it adheres to and protects bare steel (or, more to the point, a pressure washed and hand prepared previously blacked hull).  I'm looking forward to seeing a report from someone with a more standard case, i.e. one without the shot blast and zinc spray level of prep.  Quite why the manufacturer/promoter hasn't already done that remains a mystery. 

I should add that the only boat I've seen with it was one where it had fallen off - it was on blocks near me and Mr Fertan was investigating, so not much of an advert!