Microbially induced corrosion

Featured Posts

Hi, I recently read an article in towpath talk on the above subject

https://app.towpathtalk.co.uk/2018/05/23/microbially-induced-corrosion-coming-to-a-canal-near-you/content.html

it mentions the east of England being more at risk because of high agriculture!

I might have to move my boat (home) across to Lincolnshire and wondered if anyone can tell me if its been encountered there?

Really quite concerned!

Please can you lovely people help!

Best wishes

David

3 minutes ago, LoneCruiser said:

Hi, I recently read an article in towpath talk on the above subject

Really quite concerned!

The article finishes "contact Keelblack on 0333 *** **** for more information and advice."

You have to create a need for your services somehow.  How many boats do you know that have sunk through this bacterial metal-eating plague?

Reminds me of all the who ha that sprang to life in the Broads centred around Osmosis and was all kicked of by a company who set up to treat Osmosis. 

Generating business through scare tactics. While I agree that Osmosis does occur it is not the instant boat killer that some would have us believe it is 

The fact is that a boat with Osmosis will probably outlive the owner.

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 3

29 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The article finishes "contact Keelblack on 0333 *** **** for more information and advice."

You have to create a need for your services somehow.  How many boats do you know that have sunk through this bacterial metal-eating plague?

Are you suggesting this may be an advert of some sort

• Haha 1

Looks to me like a load of techno-babble. Precious little proper science in the article and plenty of scare stuff.

As others have said, it is a thickly veiled advert for Keelblack, which has a 'mixed' reputation on here.

The Keelblack website is far more detailed and answers lots of questions that strangely enough have been raised on here....and answered on here,

....such as the drying times in winter and having to wash certain off etc.

It still only has the two case scenarios from day one, Pooh Sticks and the nameless commercial carrying company.

It has added a third "accelerated wear test" carried out by a university in Germany (Road Test Dept). This shows three metal sheets, the first fertanned and then keelblacked(2 coats),  the second fertanned and then coated with single coat of mm30 and the third shotblasted , fertanned and keelblacked(2 coats).

They prove that keelblack withstands a salt water spray test at high temp for longer than the MM30.

Hey Whoopidooo.

Finding out that MM30 is a Fertan metal primer that should be over painted with undercoat and topcoat,  contains zinc - which any boater visiting Liverpool docks knows just bubbles away in brackish water- and hasn't been used as per manufacturers guidelines in the test just shows that Keelblack operators are trying to blind boat owners with science when the science doesn't stand up.

It may well be a good product,  but why keep trying to kid people with false facts and science, or scare people into using it as this latest article does.

If it's that good, it would sell itself.

• Greenie 1

Oh my head!!! Slept badly thinking about this and I want to avoid this even if my boat will outlive me as has been said already!

Elderley parents is my need to move my home, otherwise I would stay put on the Lanky!  Don't know why but feel safer here! Not so much agriculture or chemical fertilisers I suppose!

First Galvanic Isolators " of which I have one"  and now this!!  I just feel protective over my home (boat) and feel basically that I am putting it in an eventually fatal situation!

thank you all for your input. I really value your comments!

best regards 

David

I live in an area that has these 'rust bugs', in fact there is one place locally called Reelig Glen, Moniack where it is so prolific that the ground has an eerie red tinge to it. But it doesn't blanket cover the whole area - it is very patchy because it needs very specific living conditions. So while it's prolific in Reelig Glen it's not in the canal which is only a stones throw away. It can quite literally be in one field and not in the next.

I'm no expert on the munchy rust bugs but I wouldn't have thought that they would infect all of a canal system and all of the marinas in a specific area - one marina possibly. I can understand your concern and I'm not saying that you shouldn't be vigilant for it but I don't think it is something to actively worry about.  

Hope this help with your sleep :)

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

The Keelblack website is far more detailed and answers lots of questions that strangely enough have been raised on here....and answered on here,

....such as the drying times in winter and having to wash certain off etc.

It still only has the two case scenarios from day one, Pooh Sticks and the nameless commercial carrying company.

It has added a third "accelerated wear test" carried out by a university in Germany (Road Test Dept). This shows three metal sheets, the first fertanned and then keelblacked(2 coats),  the second fertanned and then coated with single coat of mm30 and the third shotblasted , fertanned and keelblacked(2 coats).

They prove that keelblack withstands a salt water spray test at high temp for longer than the MM30.

Hey Whoopidooo.

Finding out that MM30 is a Fertan metal primer that should be over painted with undercoat and topcoat,  contains zinc - which any boater visiting Liverpool docks knows just bubbles away in brackish water- and hasn't been used as per manufacturers guidelines in the test just shows that Keelblack operators are trying to blind boat owners with science when the science doesn't stand up.

It may well be a good product,  but why keep trying to kid people with false facts and science, or scare people into using it as this latest article does.

If it's that good, it would sell itself.

It's seems clear that it can't be that good, hence the attempt to dazzle people with science.

If it was as good as claimed I think most boatyards would be using it by now, or at least offering it as an option.

The fact that this is not happening speaks volumes.

9 minutes ago, Rickent said:

It's seems clear that it can't be that good, hence the attempt to dazzle people with science.

If it was as good as claimed I think most boatyards would be using it by now, or at least offering it as an option.

The fact that this is not happening speaks volumes.

I did hear that after 12 months it makes a good mud weight though.....

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are you suggesting this may be an advert of some sort

It’s called “advertorial” and is a sign of an editor desperate for copy but not willing to pay for an independent expert to write it. One of the other comics has descended to it recently, just watch out for the plug for the author’s company at the end. All mags have the problem of not upsetting their advertisers, so it’s hard to get unbiased criticism of products.

That’s why Which? makes a big thing of not taking ads.

Edited by BruceinSanity
Typo

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

contains zinc - which any boater visiting Liverpool docks knows just bubbles away in brackish water-

I doubt it zinc is used for saltwater sacrificial anodes on ships, and has been for decades, Magnesium is used for freshwater anodes which do fizz in saltwater, and are common on canal boats.

Edited by Detling
fat fingers
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How do you tell by looking at it and the sales blurb?

They has samples of the product applied to steel, it seemed very hard and knock resistant. The boat is coming out for some topside alterations and although she's not due a 'blacking' yet I'll get her pressure washed and stick a coat of something on whilst she's out. Then the year after she'll go in for a full paint job & I'll decide what to do either 2-pack or whatever?. The boat is only 3 years old by the way (a sail-away)