Paloma water heater not heating up

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Can anyone she'd some light on a problem with my Paloma Ph 3 water heater, I took over a boat that had been left moored in a marina for 18 months, the rain / weather had got down the vented chimney and partly rusted up the important bits of the burner. Upon trying the heater out I could still get the pilot light to come on and remain lit . But when I turn the hot tap on I could not get the main burner to ignite.

I have checked the following,

Full bottle of gas, I purchased a new one,

Water pressure rubber valve taken out for inspection no problems hear.

Gave it a good clean up removed as much dust, cobwebs and rust as possible.

But still only the pilot works and the main burner won't ignite.

So this weekend I purchased a refurbed model from a well known trader, it looks almost new, new inners, new burner, bright shiny and clean.

All looks superb, fitted it today, 

There are no leaks from the water pipes in and out and the gas has been double checked with a bit of fairy liquid and bubble tested for leaks.

All looks fine and dandy, except I have exactly the same problem,  Pilot light ignites but the main burner will not ignite, 

There appears to be plenty of water coming out of the tap, a really good flow in fact.

The water pump is an Aqua 8 with pre filter, is that the next thing to check?, I have heard previously that if your water pressure isn't high enough then the burner will not ignite. 

Does anyone have experience of this or am I looking in the wrong area. Regards keith

1) As gas bottles run low you can get an 'oily sludge' in the gas pipe, this can build up and restrict gas flow,

Maybe there is enough gas for the pilot light but not enough for the main burner.

2) Gas regulators 'age' and start messing about with pressures, they should be replaced every few years.

Gas pipe should be replaced every 5 years (it is date marked to help you) and regulators replaced every 10 years (manufacturing date is stamped / moulded into the bottom of the regulator.

Can you get someone to check your pressures ?

Check the pipe & regulator dates

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Gas pipe should be replaced every 5 years (it is date marked to help you)

I guess you mean the high pressure flexi?

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Gas pipe should be replaced every 5 years

Obviously not true!!

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1) As gas bottles run low you can get an 'oily sludge' in the gas pipe, this can build up and restrict gas flow,

Maybe there is enough gas for the pilot light but not enough for the main burner.

2) Gas regulators 'age' and start messing about with pressures, they should be replaced every few years.

I think we can discount both of these. If the gas supply pressure was falling so low no gas was coming from the main burners, the pilot light would extinguish.

43 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Most curious.

My advice is to ask the well known trader why it does this. He will have an immediate and accurate answer, unlike the stream of guesswork you'll get on here.

Irony, irony

(doesn't work as well as infamy, infamy - they've got it in for me..)  but it seems to be lost on the following posters, dunnit?

I'm convinced that folks - all of whom are on some form of mobile tablet, just don't read  following posts. ah well!

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Irony, irony

(doesn't work as well as infamy, infamy - they've got it in for me..)  but it seems to be lost on the following posters, dunnit?

I'm convinced that folks - all of whom are on some form of mobile tablet, just don't read  following posts. ah well!

Not sure why you're quoting my advice then responding with this. Could you explain please? Did you mean to Alan d E's rather pointless advice?

Much obliged. 

Is there a pilot only setting on the control knob? 

The venturi has to create a negative pressure by water flow for the diaphragm to open the valve.

Is this the model where the gas control valve can be recalibrated to adjust the flow rate? If so read the instructions, they are online.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

This is a good point. I'm reasonably sure there is, and the control knob needs rotating further to main burner position once the pilot light is alight. 

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Obviously not true!!

Calor seem to think it is advisable 

From their website :

» Service life

BS3212 or BSEN1763 hoses should bear the year and name of manufacturer.
We have no specific recommendation for the exchange interval for vapour hoses, but it is considered that the normal useful service life of such hoses is 5 years.
Aggressive operating conditions or simple misuse may render the hose unfit for service in a shorter time than 5 years. The User of the hose carries responsibility for routinely checking visually the hose(s) for signs of abrasion, cuts, cracks, fading, brittleness, hot spots or other damage. If the User has doubts about hose integrity then arrangements should be made for a competent person to check and if necessary, fit a replacement(s).
Dealers and Calor Centre delivery persons, caravan park operators, fitters and others who regularly come into contact with flexible hose applications may also participate in this regular visual inspection, and make appropriate recommendations to the customer/owner of the hose concerned.

Sorry for not making the type clear , its the PH -5 3F water heater, almost rounded in shape with the red band around the middle. Thanks

You turn the knob once for ignition , then release it and turn further to the flame picture which makes the burner work when you turn the tap on .

Edited by Karen Lea Rainey

7 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The venturi has to create a negative pressure by water flow for the diaphragm to open the valve.

Is this the model where the gas control valve can be recalibrated to adjust the flow rate? If so read the instructions, they are online.

Yes but is the knob removable to calibrate the burner    see my last post      see the instructions.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Calor seem to think it is advisable 

From their website :

» Service life

BS3212 or BSEN1763 hoses should bear the year and name of manufacturer.
We have no specific recommendation for the exchange interval for vapour hoses, but it is considered that the normal useful service life of such hoses is 5 years.
Aggressive operating conditions or simple misuse may render the hose unfit for service in a shorter time than 5 years. The User of the hose carries responsibility for routinely checking visually the hose(s) for signs of abrasion, cuts, cracks, fading, brittleness, hot spots or other damage. If the User has doubts about hose integrity then arrangements should be made for a competent person to check and if necessary, fit a replacement(s).
Dealers and Calor Centre delivery persons, caravan park operators, fitters and others who regularly come into contact with flexible hose applications may also participate in this regular visual inspection, and make appropriate recommendations to the customer/owner of the hose concerned.

You wrote 'pipe' not 'hoses'.

Pipe is the solid copper stuff and lasts more or less indefinitely.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Gas pipe should be replaced every 5 years

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not sure why you're quoting my advice then responding with this. Could you explain please? Did you mean to Alan d E's rather pointless advice?

Much obliged. 

I thought your post -

"My advice is to ask the well known trader why it does this. He will have an immediate and accurate answer, unlike the stream of guesswork you'll get on here"

was a reference to your goodself  - 'cos you're good at fixing things?  -  (i.e. "ask me direct")  but perhaps you mean some other organisation

5 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I thought your post -

"My advice is to ask the well known trader why it does this. He will have an immediate and accurate answer, unlike the stream of guesswork you'll get on here"

was a reference to your goodself  - 'cos you're good at fixing things?  -  (i.e. "ask me direct")  but perhaps you mean some other organisation

Ah no it wasn't me. I took it to be Paloma Pete who sells re-con Palomas for a living. 

I don't work on boats, owners are generally too cheapskate to pay my prices. ;)

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Paloma Bob I think the name is, a forum member.

Oh yeah. Still can't find why his website though. I'm sure he used to have one. 

He sells exchange Palomas on ebay too IIRC. 

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont think I would be trying to use a water heater with a rusted up burner. 

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

If the burner was rusted up, there is a good chance the injectors are fouled up, especially if you have been brushing round them to clean them. Best case to send to an expert for recon/ part ex.

Yet another case of not reading the thread. Or even the OP!

Or are you two suggesting Paloma Bob sells reconditioned Palomas with rusted up burners?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yet another case of not reading the thread. Or even the OP!

Or are you two suggesting Paloma Bob sells reconditioned Palomas with rusted up burners?

Far from it. I must admit I didn't pick up on that second bit.