Yarwoods Cabin Porthole

Liam

Featured Posts

Hi, hoping somebody is able to share what a Yarwoods built boat was supplied with size wise for the cabin port hole.

Did they use a stock size etc or were different sizes used for the various styles of boats.

If somebody could point me towards a supplier of a suitable porthole including, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Liam

Thanks David, just what I was looking for.

Now to try and find a supplier, as 8" seems to be an odd size and not that widely available. The usual Chandlers and a search on eBay either throws up smaller ports for Pigeon boxes or the larger 10" typical brass portholes.

21 minutes ago, Liam said:

Thanks David, just what I was looking for.

Now to try and find a supplier, as 8" seems to be an odd size and not that widely available. The usual Chandlers and a search on eBay either throws up smaller ports for Pigeon boxes or the larger 10" typical brass portholes.

These https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=afn-73101&gclid=CjwKCAjwtIXbBRBhEiwAWV-5ntt-oRE_VvQodN-N9LBWO8lV1mjToCGuyfD9BcuZmI7biRkZQT6w0hoCm6IQAvD_BwE seem to have different sizes including 8" diameter.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Cheaper at Midland Chandlers.

Edited by David Mack

Thanks Rob, I did have a quick check via Google earlier and noticed that the 8" quoted has an external size of 11".

David would you know if the 8" porthole is the ID or OD?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323363182090

Shame you're not looking for a Woolwich back cabin porthole, these appear to be an exact match, both in size and pattern. I believe that the Northwich type used bolts to attach them, rather than the screws on the Woolwich ones.  

Yarwoods portholes had a more rounded rather than the sharp edged bezel of the Wollwiches and were much preferred by the boatmen as they were easier to polish.  Have a chat to the Brinklow boys - they may have replicas in stock or be able to point you in the right direction!

Paul

14 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Yarwoods portholes had a more rounded rather than the sharp edged bezel of the Wollwiches and were much preferred by the boatmen as they were easier to polish.  Have a chat to the Brinklow boys - they may have replicas in stock or be able to point you in the right direction!

Paul

Surely it's the other way round? The picture I attached shows ones as fitted that are bolted on with sharper edged surrounds.

FB_IMG_1510666940502.jpg

But not a Northwich porthole. The thing is Yarwoods seemed to use stuff that was unique to them or made by them while H&W got stuff off the shelf. The Northwich porthole is flat with an inner locking ring. This is from the Radiant. The small notch at about 11 & 5 o'clock are in the locking ring.

IMG_0241.jpg.0a44619a3da2c6a0d33ab59d4e63196b.jpg

Hmm. I cannot vouch for these being original Yarwoods portholes, as I wasn't around when they were fitted, and I have never measured them but 8" id seems about right.

Thos ebay ports look suspiciously like contemporary items.

Two types fitted. The cabin has round headed screws as did the deck light (which was bronze with a deep raised section for the bulls-eye glass - a swine to polish!), and the engine 'ole ports had countersunk screws with nuts inside. The glass was removeable (in theory) by unscrewing the external ring. Someone must have had a go at doing that judging from the gouges in the flush ring as fittie has just described and shown.

1992115189_165CabinJune2010006ports1.jpg.ff3eaae52f19716d662e844298d307f2.jpg          1873606287_047PICT0726ports2.jpg.a59048ab7fe8b5d3bc0c6c0bd82c0e91.jpg

Edited by Derek R.
added text

Looking at some old, period, photos of Yarwood's built GU boats all the portholes have the same round head fittings as does Radiant to this day. I was told that all the porthole were fitted with nuts  but to change the glass in the cabin porthole you would have to rip out part of the cabin lining. It doesn't make sense for the yard to use different fittings for different portholes on the same build.

Just had a look at Sculptor and Cyprus (which is lying alongside) and both from the same yard (Yarwoods).  8" inside diameter and 11" outside diameter with round headed bolts going on to square nuts in the cabin in the case of Sculptor - Cyprus is locked! Sculptor is the same on all three portholes as far as I can see.

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

Edited by Leo No2

I don't know how authentic Flamingo now is, but it certainly still has the flat design of porthole.

It also has the domed bolts on both the back cabin and the engine hole ones.

As suggested this makes polishing a total nightmare, and sadly I usually give up before any good finish is achieved.  The ones pictured for Sculptor give an idea of the problem, though ours have so much residual discolouration on and around the bolts that even getting to that standard is hard.

I dont think I have any close ups.....

P1000992.JPG

Perhaps to dedicate more time to polishing I need to learn this trick from Ron Green, one of those that operated Flamingo in the 1960s....

Epilogue_006.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

5 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Thos ebay ports look suspiciously like contemporary items.

Yes I didn't buy the description of "Original Vintage ... unused new old stock", particularly as the glass is marked with a British Standard reference..

The ebay ones (upper photo) look remarkably like the Midland Chandlers version (lower photo). And MC ones including glass will cost you £107.60, rather than £125 for the Ebay ones.

s-l1600.jpg

15488_450_450.jpg

Edited by David Mack

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Yes I didn't buy the description of "Original Vintage ... unused new old stock", particularly as the glass is marked with a British Standard reference..

The ebay ones (upper photo) look remarkably like the Midland Chandlers version (lower photo). And MC ones including glass will cost you £107.60, rather than £125 for the Ebay ones.

s-l1600.jpg

15488_450_450.jpg

It's always difficult to establish the origin of goods offered on eBay, what I can say is that the seller generally has an amazing range of reclaimed marine fittings. No connection but a happy customer of them. It may be the picture, but the quality of the brass looks to be very low on the Midlands offering.

Well, thanks to Philjw for the Porthole. As he says it was reclaimed from a wooden boat 30 years or so ago it will be nice to give it a new lease of life on Ariel.

Thanks all for your posts, much appreciated.

Liam