Keeping Sanitary Stations Open

David Mack

Featured Posts

CRT's frustration with a minority of boaters (?) is apparent in this stoppage notice for the sanitary station at Saul:

Gloucester & Sharpness Canal
Starts At: Saul Sanitary Station
Ends At: Saul Sanitary Station

Friday 6 July 2018 13:00 until further notice

Type: Advice
Reason: Information

Update on 01/08/2018:

Please be advised that the Elsan unit at Saul Junction is now open.

When using the Elsan, please follow the guidance we have provided on-site and below. We reserve the right to remove this unit from service if further inappropriate use occurs.

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.

Please follow the below guidance when using the Elsan:

· Before use, rinse and flush

· Empty cassette

· Rinse and flush again

Please do not flush:

· Sanitary products

· Baby wipes

· Kitchen roll

· Nappies

· Engine oils and grease

· Mop heads

· Keys

· Bricks and rubble

· T-shirts

· Cotton wool

· Sleeping bags

· Tools

Only human waste, toilet tissue and a small amount of your chemicals should be flushed down the Elsan or into your boat’s on-board waste tanks. Everything else can go into a nappy or sanitary bag and then into a bin.

If you require any further information of experience any difficulties using this facility, please contact the Gloucester Dock Office on 01452 318012 or at enquiries.southwalessevern@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

43 minutes ago, Rickent said:

The elsan at Barrow boating keeps getting blocked. The reason is always people putting baby wipes down.

DON'T DO IT!!!!! 

Also cause a big problem in main drainage sewage, despite people being told by their utilities companys not to do it.  On a program recently it was suggested that sewers from "posh areas" were some of the worst.

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

"Everything else can go into a nappy or sanitary bag and then into a bin."

It's a rhetorical question. (some) folks use my quote as an excuse to do nothing. If any one has been watching the huge Civil Engineering project to clear London's wet waste will have seen the vast amount of wipes that folks put down the loo.

Out of site, out of mind...

Not my job (sic) innit..  

I believe that it is at its worst where there is a pump or macerator attached to the disposal unit, rather than it going straight into a large sewage company pipe. Certainly heard tell of how the wet wipes wrap themselves around an impeller - bit like, on a slightly different scale, plastic bags and fishing lines wrap around a boat prop. Nit only inhibits the function of the pump etc but is demon to remove.

I remember being told "Don't put anything apart from bog roll in the toilet unless you've eaten it first"

I can't say I blame C&RT - the number of closures of elsan points / self pump outs due to the, and I being blunt here, the total stupidity of a small number of boaters. 

Sometimes you see the same place getting closed repeatedly for the same problem - which suggests the idiot is a local moorer.

C&RT are just flushing their money down the toilet when it comes to this sort of thing.