Flue replacement for Morso Squirrel

Featured Posts

Hi folks, 

Can anyone recommend somebody to replace the flue on our Morso Squirrel please? Ideally someone able to travel to Hartford Marina. 

Need to get flue replaced before recommisioning the stove after buying the boat. 

All pointers welcome. 

Cheers for now, 

John 

What shape is the flue- straight, cranked, double cranked, etc?

Non-straight ones have to be fabricated. Straight ones are just a length of 113 mm steel pipe cut  to  size- available from Midland Swinders and other chandlers.

Seal top and bottom with high temperature silicone sealant.

N

Thanks for the thoughts guys,

It's a straight one, think it's double walled. Corroded to buggery - so going to get new one fitted and get the Squirrel checked out by a pro as we'll be living on board.

Cheers for now,

John

1 hour ago, John Wetton said:

Thanks for the thoughts guys,

It's a straight one, think it's double walled. Corroded to buggery - so going to get new one fitted and get the Squirrel checked out by a pro as we'll be living on board.

Cheers for now,

John

If it's a double wall flue, then you are supposed to replace it with another one -- and they are expensive.  If it's a single wall flue in an existing installation, you are allowed to replace like for like.

4 hours ago, adam1uk said:

If it's a double wall flue, then you are supposed to replace it with another one -- and they are expensive.  If it's a single wall flue in an existing installation, you are allowed to replace like for like.

Not true AFAIK.

Can you cite a reference if you are sure about this please?

Many thanks. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not true AFAIK.

Can you cite a reference if you are sure about this please?

Many thanks. 

BSS guidelines here and Soliftec guidelines here both say the flue should be insulated.  They are only guidelines, though, which is why I said ‘supposed to’.  Certainly when I needed a new flue on my stove, the boat yard would only let it be a single wall one because they were replacing like with like.  I’m not sure anyone is ever likely to check (or even know, probably), but if you want to abide by the latest guidelines, then it’s pretty clear what flue you should use (note, should, not must, because they are only guidelines)