Lister SR2 Engine cradle

neil

Featured Posts

What's a cradle?

If you mean should there be copper washers between the engine mounts and the bearers on which it sits, then I would say no.

I can't see any possible connection with oil leaks though?

Are you assuming that some of the engine mounting bolts holding the mounting brackets onto the engine block go through into the crankcase?

If so I would remove the leaking ones one at a time and degrease them and the holes and refit them with a thread sealing gel such as Hylomar on the threads. A washer under the bolt head will not seal onto the block, its the thread that needs to seal.

Maybe the OP thinks copper washers might damp down vibration which may have caused an oil leak? Mine just bolts onto wood levellers and the steel bearers like zenataom's. The thing just vibrates like hell anyway, which I suspect may have caused various bits of copper pipe to fracture in the past,usually the leak off. 

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Are you assuming that some of the engine mounting bolts holding the mounting brackets onto the engine block go through into the crankcase?

If so I would remove the leaking ones one at a time and degrease them and the holes and refit them with a thread sealing gel such as Hylomar on the threads. A washer under the bolt head will not seal onto the block, its the thread that needs to seal.

Just now, neil said:

Ahhh...Mounting bracket... That's the terminology I should have used...and yes oil is seeping from these and other bolts that afix the teleflex cable in position...

Thanks so much for your helpful reply?

20 minutes ago, neil said:

Ahhh...Mounting bracket... That's the terminology I should have used...and yes oil is seeping from these and other bolts that afix the teleflex cable in position...

Thanks so much for your helpful reply?

some pictures would really help

31 minutes ago, RLWP said:

some pictures would really help

Hi Richard, afraid I won't be able to travel tomy family members narrowboat til the weekend and hope to solve the problem when I get there.

Basically.. the SR2 was completely reconditioned (Primrose  supplied all the parts?)

The engine / gearbox is supported on the bearers by the gearbox on one side and by a cradle/brecket that is bolted to the engine on the over.., these horizontal bolts are weeping engine oil, as is (as I have now found out) the bolt that holds the bracket for the throttle cable near the ball joint. Which is also mounted onto an engine bolt.

It had been suggested that we use annealed washers, but as Boater Sam has pointed, some kind of thread seal would be more practical, 

What would you recommend?

Think about how many washers you would have to use, 2 on every bolt, one between the block and the bracket and another under the bolt head. And that would mean taking the brackets off completely after lifting the engine, complicated.

Better to seal the bolt in the threaded hole where the oil is originating from.

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Think about how many washers you would have to use, 2 on every bolt, one between the block and the bracket and another under the bolt head. And that would mean taking the brackets off completely after lifting the engine, complicated.

Better to seal the bolt in the threaded hole where the oil is originating from.

Thankyou, I'll be taking the train up this weekend with hylomar and more running in oil this weekend....your a lifesaver ???

Many of those bolts have copper washers, which helps. The ones that carry the speed control cable are a bit of a problem because oil can come through the middle of the washer, so some thread seal helps

As does tightening the bolts up a bit

Richard

7 hours ago, RLWP said:

Many of those bolts have copper washers, which helps. The ones that carry the speed control cable are a bit of a problem because oil can come through the middle of the washer, so some thread seal helps

As does tightening the bolts up a bit

Richard

Lifesaver...best regards

Neil