Tiller too low

Noggin

Featured Posts

I would like to raise my tiller - a couple of years ago, I saw a boat that had overcome the problem with a brass "z" shape attachment - any ideas where I might pick one of these up?

Thanks

(sorry) - Do you mean lift it up for access, or make it higher? If the latter that rare occupation - a blacksmith - could help. ((We're lucky to have on in our local village and he's great...)

I tried the former on a boat and the damn thing kept folding up when I wanted to turn

26 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Poor initial design by the builder, most yards would sort that for you. 

^^^ What Dave said - either by lengthening the swan's neck, easing both bends slightly or perhaps simply opening the angle of the top bend to raise the handle end.  Anything would be more elegant than some sort of Z bodge arrangement. 

2 hours ago, Noggin said:

I would like to raise my tiller - a couple of years ago, I saw a boat that had overcome the problem with a brass "z" shape attachment - any ideas where I might pick one of these up?

Thanks

If the swans neck is fitted to a square taper, some thin spacers would lift it. With a spline, a new or modified one is your only option. 

As old goat says, the hinged types can be a liability. 

The length of the tiller bar was reckoned to be correct if it ended were it cleared the top of the cabin height by 2 "& ends again 2" or so short of the cabin back bulkhead so you could stand on the foot board ,lean against the closed cabin doors & pass the tiller bar close behind your back