Paint Roller for Tunnel Bands - Which Type?

Featured Posts

I'm repainting my tunnel bands in gloss and wondering which type of mini roller to use.  As it's only the tunnel bands I do not wish to lash out on expensive stuff as they will be thrown away on completion.  Ive got foam and "lambs wool" .  Advice appreciated

Lambs wool are likely to disintegrate with oil based gloss. Foam is normally OK and you can now also get suitable fluffy rollers made from synthetic fibres but then it depends upon the glue used.

1 minute ago, NB Esk said:

I've used foam for gloss but prefer the ones with short nap. TBH, if it's just the tunnel bands I'd probably brush 'em.

So would I, I only roller when the whole part above the guard needs doing.

1 hour ago, plainsman said:

OK, thanks for that.  A brush it is then.  To be honest, I've little experience with rollers so I'm reassured by the advice given.

Cheers.

My local B&Q sell mini fluffy rollers, maybe lambswool or substitute, for peanuts so I use them for a specic job and then dispose them. However, there's not much to chose between mini roller and brush so go with what you are more comfortable using.

Howard

Edited by howardang

Brush for me. I got a 4 inch brush from Wilko with a red and black handle for a couple of quid. I had intended slinging it when the bands were painted, but it was so good that I cleaned it. Not a Purdy, but great for the meagre cost.

I would support those that recommend using a brush. I used to repaint the tunnel bands on Helvtia each time it went into dry dock for blacking, and it really does not take that long, also you can get nice crescent shaped ends wirth a brush, something that would not be pssible with a roller.

285850305_DryDock003a.JPG.ff650b4a0f5644c7e70cc31c72b8335e.JPG

21 minutes ago, philjw said:

Maybe not for this job but the good thing about rollers is that they are so cheap you can just bin them leaving just the handle to clean.  Not so for decent brushes.

But decent brushes last a lifetime. Following Phil Speight's advice, I bought  five expensive top of the range Purdy brushes, that was more than five years ago. Three of them are still in the box, and the two I have used are still in perfect usable condition. They clean beautifully, and as guaranteed they never shed bristles. I doubt that I shall ever need to buy another brush.

Edited by David Schweizer

These days, there is little need to wash out brushes, a tedious and soul destroying job, in my opinion. For many years  I’ve used the Brush Mate storage system for mine, mostly Purdys.....they are an air tight container with fluid in a bottle connected to a wick attached to a felt pad. This diffuses the liquid from th bottle in to a vapour which prevents the paint in the brush from drying.  You can use a brush, pop it into the container, take it out next day, week, month, year.... and paint on. Just as long as you maintain fluid level in the container. Widely used by most of the coach painters I work with. 2 sizes brush. Widely available from decent decorators’ merchants.