Andy Russell Gunwale paint

Featured Posts

Our gunwales were painted with Andy Russell Gunwale Black paint.  We need to do a few touch-ups.  Andy Russell's website says that it is no longer available from there.  Is it available anywhere else? If not, can anyone suggest a suitable alternative?

Many thanks.

You could try a chandlers.  I bought mine from Nantwich Canal Centre - not branded 'Any Russell' but near as dammit identical.  You try giving them a ring and find out what the brand is.

2 hours ago, Gareth E said:

Just done a Google it may be 3p Paint in Hallam Mill.

Well done, I’ve been struggling to recall that name!  Needless to say, they sell it a bit cheaper than Andy did as there’s no relabelling cost or an extra mark up for Andy.

Has anyone phoned them to ask if they still do it? I'm wondering because it seems strange that Andy has stopped selling it. I can't remember exactly how much 3p charge but a fellow boater bought some, said it was much cheaper than Andy charged, around half price from memory?

5 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Has anyone phoned them to ask if they still do it? I'm wondering because it seems strange that Andy has stopped selling it. I can't remember exactly how much 3p charge but a fellow boater bought some, said it was much cheaper than Andy charged, around half price from memory?

That is very possible, when I had Helvetia painted by John Sandrson at Dadfords Wharf, he got a few extra tins of paint from the manufacturer for me. It was cheaper than Beer!!

49 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

I imagine Andy has stopped selling it because it was too much hassle for the return. He’s still got all the painting and sign writing work he can handle, so probably doesn’t have time for selling the stuff.

I used it last August when I also blacked the boat.  I thought it was bloomin' awful!  I rollered it and laid it off with a soft long bristle brush for the first cost, but it just looked patchy and horrible.  I finished the job with a second coat thinking it was going to be a base for something else later (not even sure I bothered to lay it off) but was most disappointed, cos it wasn't cheap. Some time later, however, I noticed that it had eventually cured to an almost perfect finish!  Good stuff!  if someone could post a definitive link to the proprietary stuff it would be a good thing.

58 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

It's still on their website under others

Marine finishes 
Hard wearing enamels for your boats or barges colour matched to suit your needs and including black satin gunwale paint. 

Under "Paint Sales" it says

Sorry, service no longer available

After talking to 3P Paints...

They do supply it, but delivery to where we live (Cambridgeshire) would cost £38 for a £10 1L tin.  Apparently it may be available from some chandleries in the Northwich area.

1 hour ago, NBDensie said:

They do supply it, but delivery to where we live (Cambridgeshire) would cost £38 for a £10 1L tin.  Apparently it may be available from some chandleries in the Northwich area.

I bought a supply from the chandlers at Nantwich Marina which we were assured was virtually identical to A.R. paint apart from no branding. It did the job very well and  was much cheaper than the branded A.R. Paint available at Aqueduct Marina where we were based at the time.

Howard 

2 hours ago, NBDensie said:

Not sure about 3P but £38 for delivery of a 1 ltr. tin of paint is definitely taking the P. 

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

What would you charge to collect a tin of solvents from Stockport and deliver it to Cambridge?

I don't do courier work but Midland Chandlers who you may have heard of would charge £4-75 to deliver a tin of paint costing £10. Bargain !!!!

5 hours ago, Troyboy said:

I don't do courier work but Midland Chandlers who you may have heard of would charge £4-75 to deliver a tin of paint costing £10. Bargain !!!!

Well, as you point out, 38 quid is a bargain in terms of a one off journey.  However, what if a company already had vans doing the rounds to pick up and drop off, and lorries running between a network of distribution hubs, plus a management system to run such a network at peak efficiency? As long as you avoid Parcel Farce or UK Fail, a cheaper, reliable service might not to be out of the question.