Age of boat

All Oaks

Featured Posts

Is there anyway I can tell the age of my boat from its registration number and possibly who built it as unfortunately I know very little about it!!!

I did read something recently that said the six figure numbers came about in 91/ 92

and the nearest I've seen to what I've got is a Hancock & Lane. Would anyone know one if they seen one?? Any help would be very appreciated. 

Edited by All Oaks
More info

1 minute ago, All Oaks said:

Is there anyway I can tell the age of my boat from its registration number and possibly who built it as unfortunately I know very little about it!!!

You could cut it in half and count the rings ;)

More seriously, you can find out (roughly) when it was registered from this thread:

5 minutes ago, All Oaks said:

My number is 504650 if anyone can help

Has had various names, so there may be some history if you search "Chelsea Emily" &/or "Claudia"

Claudia Built by Unknown - Length : 10.05 metres ( 33 feet ) - Beam : 2.083 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 15 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 504650 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Other boat names on this licence plate (Historical Data)

Chelsea Emily Built by Unknown - Length : 10.05 metres ( 33 feet ) - Beam : 2.1 metres ( 6 feet 11 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 504650 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Monday 30th May 2011 )

1 minute ago, All Oaks said:

Chelsea Emily Built by Unknown - Length : 10.05 metres ( 33 feet ) - Beam : 2.1 metres ( 6 feet 11 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 504650 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Monday 30th May 2011 )

Other boat names on this licence plate (Historical Data)

Claudia Built by Unknown - Length : 10.05 metres ( 33 feet ) - Beam : 2.083 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 15 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 504650 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Yeah I'd already seen this info. Ive seen a similar boat on ebay that was built by Holland & Lane but I'm not sure they were building boats in 1999/ 2000 and from my number that seems to be roughly the year it was built.

Also thanks for your help ?

35 minutes ago, All Oaks said:

1999/ 2000 and from my number that seems to be roughly the year it was built.

That is not necessarily the year it was built - that is the time period when it first came onto C&RT water and got a C&RT reg number.

It could be 100 years older.

My boat was almost 20 years old before it got its C&RT registration plate.

1 hour ago, All Oaks said:

The best I have is that the first number issued in the year 2000 was 504425.

Almost certainly then 504650 was issued in 2000, probably fairly early on.

However a boat can be registered or re-registered by BW/CRT at any time in some circumstances, (for example if it was originally used on waters other than BW/RT ones), so all that is guaranteed is that the boat carrying this number is no newer than 2000.  It can easily be older, though. (One of my 1936 built boats has a plate issued in 1996, for example).

1 hour ago, All Oaks said:

Yeah I'd already seen this info. Ive seen a similar boat on ebay that was built by Holland & Lane but I'm not sure they were building boats in 1999/ 2000 and from my number that seems to be roughly the year it was built.

Also thanks for your help ?

Do you mean Hancock and Lane?

If so they stopped building boats under that name by the mid 1980s.

I bought an ex-hire boat in 1987. But without any evidence of construction it was claimed "....not more than 5 years old because the hire company buys boats new and replaces them after 5 years....".

My reg no. was not much help because it was issued by BW after coming off the Warwick Avon (outside the BW area for an unknown number of years).

Anyway to get to the point, I found a more accurate estimate of the date when it was built from the engine number when obtaining spares. 

From the BMC 1.5 engine number it was built in 1979 - and assuming commercial logic that the builder would leave the purchase of a costly engines until the last minute - the boat must have been built during 1979 - making it 8 years old - and not 5 as claimed - thus commanding a higher price.  Which incidentally came at the same time as the introduction of VAT - that was added to the cash price.  

9 minutes ago, mark99 said:

That boat has a more than passing resemblance to a Hancock and Lane boat.

Google search images "Hancock and Lane"

No more than a passing resemblance though! 

In detail it looks nothing like the Hancock and Lane I had built for me in the late 80s. The steelwork on this boat looks quite crude to my eye in comparison.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If nothing else, the 'roof-grab rails' look very cheap and just 'wrong' for an H&L boat

That's what I thought in particular, yes. 

The leading edges of the cabin have the 'C' shape of a H&L boat, but not much else of the looks like H&L steelwork to my eye. The hull looks more Harborough-like than H&L, although I doubt it is theirs.

Given the rather clumsy cabin steelwork I'm wondering if this was originally a wooden top hull that has had a DIY cabin top added in steel.

I don't think it is related to the Harborough Marine (or the Fernie Fabrications or Black Prince derivivatives).

It doesen't say Hancock & Lane to me either.

I would place it as 1970s, but could be wrong.

I thought it looked a little like a Harborough Marine too at first but they have a more swept up bow IIRC.

The handrails do look wrong however for a H&L were they not tubular?

Perhaps as you guys suggest a home made jobbie inspired by the H&L <and other boats of that era> look.

Edited by mark99