Boat Transport Company.

Featured Posts

I'm going to look at a 25ft GRP cruiser shell on Thursday. As no outboard engine, needs to be taken out of the water and delivered 1 hours drive away to a new Marina and then I can get a BSC and license it and insure. 

Can anyone recommend someone or a company with a trailer or the means of taking the boat out the water and putting on a trailer and delivering it 40 miles away and either putting it in the water or on the bankside? Trying to get an idea of cost before buying and now going to find a mooring, hopefully Streethay Wharf.

Many thanks. James.

1 hour ago, canals are us? said:

I'm going to look at a 25ft GRP cruiser shell on Thursday. As no outboard engine, needs to be taken out of the water and delivered 1 hours drive away to a new Marina and then I can get a BSC and license it and insure. 

Can anyone recommend someone or a company with a trailer or the means of taking the boat out the water and putting on a trailer and delivering it 40 miles away and either putting it in the water or on the bankside? Trying to get an idea of cost before buying and now going to find a mooring, hopefully Streethay Wharf.

Many thanks. James.

In view of the short distance (1 hour) I would guess that they will still charge for a full day as the opportunity of doing a full-day job has been lost. The cost of transport is not simply the amount of fuel used.

I would suggest that for the price of hiring a trailer, tow-car and person would not be much less than buying (borrowing, or renting) an outboard, and you'd have the fun of doing it.

You do not need a licence or BSS to move it to a yard for 'repairs' as per the 1995 Act (extract of relevant section below)

11)(a)The refusal or withdrawal by the Board of a relevant consent in respect of any vessel on the grounds that the vessel does not comply with the standards applicable to that vessel shall not preclude the movement or use of the vessel with the consent of the Board (which shall not be unreasonably withheld) and subject to such reasonable conditions (if any) as they may determine.

(b)Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (a) above, the Board shall not withhold their consent under this subsection to the movement or use of a vessel for the purpose of taking it to a place where it may be repaired or modified so as to comply with the standards applicable to it, or for the purpose of taking the vessel to be destroyed, unless such movement or use would give rise to the risk of obstruction or danger to navigation or to persons or property.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

I’m sure Nick at Streethay will know how if you end up there - great spot

46 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In view of the short distance (1 hour) I would guess that they will still charge for a full day as the opportunity of doing a full-day job has been lost. The cost of transport is not simply the amount of fuel used.

I would suggest that for the price of hiring a trailer, tow-car and person would not be much less than buying (borrowing, or renting) an outboard, and you'd have the fun of doing it.

You do not need a licence or BSS to move it to a yard for 'repairs' as per the 1995 Act (extract of relevant section below)

11)(a)The refusal or withdrawal by the Board of a relevant consent in respect of any vessel on the grounds that the vessel does not comply with the standards applicable to that vessel shall not preclude the movement or use of the vessel with the consent of the Board (which shall not be unreasonably withheld) and subject to such reasonable conditions (if any) as they may determine.

(b)Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (a) above, the Board shall not withhold their consent under this subsection to the movement or use of a vessel for the purpose of taking it to a place where it may be repaired or modified so as to comply with the standards applicable to it, or for the purpose of taking the vessel to be destroyed, unless such movement or use would give rise to the risk of obstruction or danger to navigation or to persons or property.

I have asked about a mooring at Streethay and am awaiting a call back to see if they have availability. It would be a good base for my Sister and to work on the boat.  I'll ask about boat transport. Unfortunately the condition of sale is it's a seized boat (Presume section 8) but will ask and has to be transported by road as a condition. It is cheap and floating so a good start! I have emailed tony the tug boat to see transport costs and take it from there. We'll see what happens between now and Thursday!

Thanks. James :cheers:   

3 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

Unfortunately the condition of sale is it's a seized boat (Presume section ? but will ask and has to be transported by road as a condition.

If you don't get what you want via Tony-The-Tug then consider phoning C&RT as they cannot refuse you permission to move it by water, unless it is a danger to navigation. (read para B again), their T&Cs of sale cannot over-ride the law.

Maybe say, "having read the 1995 British Waterway Act section 17 sub-section 11, I understand I require permission to take a boat without a valid BSS by water from XXX for repair at ZZZZ, would you please confirm your consent ?"

• Happy 1

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you don't get what you want via Tony-The-Tug then consider phoning C&RT as they cannot refuse you permission to move it by water, unless it is a danger to navigation. (read para B again), their T&Cs of sale cannot over-ride the law.

Maybe say, "having read the 1995 British Waterway Act section 17 sub-section 11, I understand I require permission to take a boat without a valid BSS by water from XXX for repair at ZZZZ, would you please confirm your consent ?"

Of course they could just refuse to sell it to him ...

There is also a (towing) guy works around Hillmorton just DIY painted his boat at streethay I just cant remember his name Dave at Granthams bridge will know Might be Pete? bad I can’t remember but boats and faces are Ok just names away from boats no good

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If I do buy it I'll phone CRT anyway in order to see if they know of the boat and I an get legal transfer of ownership 

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Of course they could just refuse to sell it to him ...

Indeed. It is a condition of sale. They want it disposed of.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They cannot 'un-sell' it once he's bought it.

I'll find out the full facts of the circumstances of sale and why it can't be cruised away.

James:cheers:

6 minutes ago, Halsey said:

There is also a (towing) guy works around Hillmorton just DIY painted his boat at streethay I just cant remember his name Dave at Granthams bridge will know Might be Pete? bad I can’t remember but boats and faces are Ok just names away from boats no good

Thanks. I'll ask Streethay when they phone me.

James.:cheers:

26 minutes ago, Halsey said:

SWMBO has confirmed it is Pete app 30ft blue tug with old engine 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Can you get a BSC at the current location? Then you can licence it before you take it away.

I don't know. Think yard just want it gone. See what it's like Thursday. Suspect total shell and strip out needed. Insulate, pine T&G lining. Just need 240v landline with garage consumer Unit, small calorifier with 1.1kw immersion for hot water. Later add gas hob, small oven. Possibly a electric mini oven with hot plates to simplify things . Find outboard eventually as main use a weekend escape for my Sister to stay over the weekend when her neighbours are driving her mad. Small multifuel stove like a pipsqueak for heating. 

James:cheers:

Depending on the services you have on the boat you may be able to pull the BBC exempt card. As you have no engine and you think it appears to be a complete refit it sounds like you're half way there.

Here's the PDF file...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/733-boat-safety-scheme-certificate-application-for-exemption.pdf

25 minutes ago, Liam said:

Depending on the services you have on the boat you may be able to pull the BBC exempt card. As you have no engine and you think it appears to be a complete refit it sounds like you're half way there.

Here's the PDF file...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/733-boat-safety-scheme-certificate-application-for-exemption.pdf

I think that only works if you only watch ITV or Sky.

• Haha 1

Decided to give the above boat a miss and buy one more finished and preferably Midlands based. The one thing that was good, is we all agreed a fully GRP cabin of 25ft is an ample length if no rear canopy. (30-32ft with rear canopy)

Looking for a boat now for up to 5K with working engine, either inboard or outboard, reasonable interior with a few interior jobs like multifuel stove adding or repaint or update galley. 

Anyone know of anything?

Thanks for all of your advise.  James:cheers: