Poor maintenance loses water?

Mike Todd

Featured Posts

No.That 'leak' is only cascading from the top few inches of the gate-its not bad maintenance-its a gap- there isnt anything there to stop it leaking!

And I only know that because I was sat there watching it as I was waiting for the lock to fill a week or so ago ?

Edited by PaulJ

Something is trapped in the vee of the gates. Just open and flush when the lock is full.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

This is the 'leakage' we had to cope with on the Nene in 2007.

PICT0288.JPG.eeba5b5209460cfd7020cd3a8cb43db6.JPG

My sort of lock, less work no need to open the paddles.

Exactly what I remember from a 1997 Fox's hireboat holiday, when we'd had a wet spring. We discovered the "self-filling lock", and there were quite a few of them.

Edited by Athy

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Exactly what I remember from a 1997 Fox's hireboat holiday, when we'd had a wet spring. We discovered the "self-filling lock", and there were quite a few of them.

Been there done that we had 4 happy years on the Nene

Edited by Athy

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

This is the 'leakage' we had to cope with on the Nene in 2007.

PICT0288.JPG.eeba5b5209460cfd7020cd3a8cb43db6.JPG

is that not the Rochdale 9 since it got water which in the 70s it never had enough of

Perhaps I should come clean: I posted the picture because it reminded me of several I have seen on various sites from CaRT  Bashers, usually without any explanation. Correct, it is from the Nene and several locks are built this way to allow a modest amount of water to flow through the lock (all guillotine bottom gates have to be left raised anyway) and the small gap is intentional and goes no further down than the normal water level. Below this the gates are watertight.

My intention was to show that pix can be used to give 'fake news' especially when the background reasoning is not known. Even in cases where such 'leaks' are down to mis-fitting gates, the calculation about what is the best option can often be complicated.

Edited by Mike Todd
  • Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1