What is the best torch to have on a boat

canalboat

Featured Posts

Having bought various torches that didn't last long or started flickering five minutes after guarantee ran out, or just were not powerful enough or needed charging at the vital moment, mid tunnel etc, can you all please suggest what type would be best.

I've got a fairly big rechargeable torch with LED that will also run off a 12V feed.  This is good for added lighting for tunnels.  However inside the boat I have about half a dozen small LED torches hanging up in various places. For 2 or £3 a time, it is easy to have several so there is always one to hand.  Batteries, even just two AAAs last for ages.  I also have a couple of small PIR controlled LED lights, which will come on if they sense movement when it is dark.  Great for instance to have one in the bathroom so it comes on automatically when you are stumbling around in the dark looking for the loo.

I have a COB light, one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EXPKBGG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rechargeable, lasts a long time, excellent both in tunnels and when working on the engine. Magnets on back and end, so almost always possible to stick it somewhere handy.

2 hours ago, canalboat said:

Having bought various torches that didn't last long or started flickering five minutes after guarantee ran out, or just were not powerful enough or needed charging at the vital moment, mid tunnel etc, can you all please suggest what type would be best.

I use these types...

One on ma phone as you will know where it is when you want it (ie your pocket) and it more likely be charged when needed.

Head torch as you will always need a hands free one.

Rechargable work light, good for lighting a large area.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Maglite, tough as old boots, various sizes available,  led conversion cheap and simple. That said, there's lots of other good torches - you're either very unlucky or making false economies!  :D

I've an LED Maglite that takes 2x 'D' size batteries. It's brilliant ............... ?

Edited by Aguila

I've been a huge fan of Maglites for many years, from the little Mini Maglites up to the 'nightwatchman's friend' which is more like a heavy truncheon which happens to have a torch in it, handy for keeping near the bed in case of intruders.  These are good, dependable torches and the LED versions have a bright beam with good battery life.  However. . . 

Over the past few years I've changed my allegiance to the LED Lenser torches.  They are seriously expensive but if you can afford it you get what you pay for.  Lighter weight than the Maglites but built to an impressive standard with a good focusable beam and a dual brightness selection from the button switch that can be used with gloves on, it will last for ages before needing a battery change.  The P14.2 is what is hanging up in my boat, and is what I reach for when walking along the towpath after dark.  You can drop them on a concrete floor and they will still work.  They have a wrist strap in case you stumble.  http://amzn.eu/bAkJjZT

• Greenie 1

One which works. Many of us have reached in the cupboard for a torch in the darkness, pulled it out, clicked it and nothing has happened. So check it regularly to ensure that the batteries are sound - if they aren't, the make or model don't matter.

I have bought expensive ones in the past, which tend to fail or fall in the cut just like cheap ones. I buy cheapo ones from Asda etc these days and don't lose any sleep when they fail, get borrowed and not returned, or fall in the cut. One of the best I have had for longevity and performance was 2 quid from Home and Bargains. 

7 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

I have one that is charged by winding (60seconds winding gives 20 minuites light) brought in Wilko. Never have to worry about flat or dead batteres again.

So, the same principle as Trevor Bayliss' wind-up radio. In fact, I see on eBay that you can get a wind-up radio which incorporates a torch.

9 hours ago, LankyStreak said:

I've been a huge fan of Maglites for many years, from the little Mini Maglites up to the'nightwatchman's friend' which is more like a heavy truncheon which happens to have a torch in it, handy for keeping near the bed in case of intruders.  These are good, dependable torches and the LED versions have a bright beam with good battery life.  However. . . 

Over the past few years I've changed my allegiance to the LED Lenser torches.  They are seriously expensive but if you can afford it you get what you pay for.  Lighter weight than the Maglites but built to an impressive standard with a good focusable beam and a dual brightness selection from the button switch that can be used with gloves on, it will last for ages before needing a battery change.  The P14.2 is what is hanging up in my boat, and is what I reach for when walking along the towpath after dark.  You can drop them on a concrete floor and they will still work.  They have a wrist strap in case you stumble.  http://amzn.eu/bAkJjZT

I have a Korean police night stick, which also houses an led torch so can be carried without being classed as an offensive weapon, but is essentially a heavy truncheon with a leather wrist strap. along with various maglites and more recently an LED Lenser torch which as you say are excellent.

Rick

4 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

LED head torch from Poundland, at that price you can buy several. 

you can but i have had a couple of them and the LED's have failed in a very short time, i bought one in the maplins closing down sale reduced from 12.95 to to 5 quid and so far it has been excellent :) 

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

50 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

I have a Korean police night stick, which also houses an led torch so can be carried without being classed as an offensive weapon, but is essentially a heavy truncheon with a leather wrist strap. along with various maglites and more recently an LED Lenser torch which as you say are excellent.

Rick

It is legal providing you are not carrying it in a public place for self defense. 

2 hours ago, dccruiser said:

you can but i have had a couple of them and the LED's have failed in a very short time, i bought one in the maplins closing down sale reduced from 12.95 to to 5 quid and so far it has been excellent :) 

Rick

I have had two for a couple of years or so, one is ok but the other has two failed leds, hardly notice the difference though. Almost as cheap to buy another than replace batteries! 

16 hours ago, canalboat said:

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I didn't follow your link but I presume that's the "million candlepower" riff??

Seriously though, I'm with Athy - the answer is "one that works". 

Yep, and I notice Dyertribe has posted it also.