Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
BEngo

Forum Finances Update June 2018

Featured Posts

Last time I reported on the forum’s finances was at the end of December 2017.  We then had £1017.83 in the bank.

At the end of June 2018 there was £531.16 in the bank.

In the six months you gave us a total £568.98 in Donations.  The lowest monthly income was £44.82 and the best was £158.21.

Thank you all for supporting the forum.   For those who are thinking of donating regularly, an aggregated annual or 6 monthly sum is most effective- PayPal charge us a fee for collecting each donation and this is a greater percentage of a small sum than a larger one.  As an example from 12 x  £1.00  donations we get £10.80.  From an annual donation of £12.00 we would get £11.35- an extra 5%.

Our main items of expenditure were:

Service

Provider

GBP

Frequency

Hosting

Nimbus Hosting

Monthly

Forum Software

Invision

6 Monthly

Image Hosting

Amazon Web Servs

Monthly

Chat

Arrowchat

Annual

Shift Theme

IPS Focus

6 Monthly 

These numbers are rounded and not exact.  As an example, our recent  payment to Invision was actually £62-71 because it is converted from US Dollars and the payment to Amazon Web Services has varied between £59 and £66, depending on usage.

Rich our Tech Admin has done what he can to reduce costs, but there is only so much that can be done without going backward on site performance     Daniel periodically reminds us that we need to be delivering good service and an excellent member experience.   

Thank you again  for your support.

Nigel

In round figures, would it be correct to say that Jan-Jun 2018

Outgoings are £1000

Incoming is £500

If this continues for the 2nd half of the year, there will be nothing in the bank by Christmas ?

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Why post it in the pub, its a place I never visit?

Yet you are here.

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In round figures, would it be correct to say that Jan-Jun 2018

Outgoings are £1000

Incoming is £500

If this continues for the 2nd half of the year, there will be nothing in the bank by Christmas ?

That is the trend, yes.  July is a little more positive as there are a number of recurring donations which arrive this month, but, at some point, if the trend continues I shall go to Daniel and advise him that we again need to seek the support of our members.

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why post it in the pub, its a place I never visit?

Tradition!  As long as I have been a member finance information has been put in the Pub. I  do know that not everyone visits here (as indeed I generally don't).  That is why I put up an Announcement in glorious techno green with a linky to try.

N

Special thanks to those who donate to Canal World to help keep this site going. Without the continued support of our members, we would not be where we are today. All donations received are invested in the site. Please feel free to make a donation by clicking here

Thanks again

RichM

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't realised the monthly one pound donation was so costly. I tried editing mine on Paypal with the intention of increasing it a bit and making it twice yearly instead of monthly.

Not sure if it's just me but couldn't figure how to do it, instead I made one 12.00 donation, then another one a few minutes later.

As soon  as I figure out how to make a regular donation again, I'll set something back up.

I don't think you can change a paypal regular donation. You have to cancel it and make a new one.  Happy to be wrong if someone knows otherwise and can explain how.

Thank you for your donations.  If you

made one unintentionally please PM with your paypal email or name so I can postively ID you and I will refund.

N

Can I ask why do we have to pay when other forums are hosted free of charge i.e Picasso owners forum. Pprune & song of the paddle etc

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Can I ask why do we have to pay when other forums are hosted free of charge i.e Picasso owners forum. Pprune & song of the paddle etc

You don't  " Have " to pay.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Because we are advertisement free.

Thank god.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You don't  " Have " to pay.

Thank god.

So are some of the free forums. If you had a look you would have found out

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Could you have a look at them please then, and find out how they achieving free hosting and let Rich and the team know how it is done?

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I think you must have misunderstood what I meant in that  non of us have to pay its a choice thing.

6 hours ago, Tonka said:

As mentioned, there is no obligation to pay. We have hosting, software licence and other associated costs with running a site and as such we ask members to consider making donations to help keep us afloat.

Looking at the Picasso Forum you mentioned, I can see they too ask for donations quite clearly at the top right of the page. Other forums such as PPPruNe display ads all over their site.

Without getting too technical, every image on this site (just like any other site) is hosted (stored) on a special computer. (server) The server sends all content (data) to you over a very fast internet connection. We don't host these servers in our houses or boats.  What if there were a power cut? What if the internet dropped for even a moment? The whole site would go down. Plus we need a stable and fast internet connection to send this data to everyone given that we have hundreds of users online per day. As such we pay a company to host these servers for us. These servers are housed in large high security buildings. It's essentially a large warehouse full of servers but it's arguably as secure as a high security prison.

All images on this site including this one are stored in this place:

AWS-Datacenter.png

As good as it is, unfortunately we don't get any of this for free. Someone has to foot the bill at the end of the day. Quite simply this is why we ask for donations but again, there is no obligation.

On that note it seems appropriate to express our thanks to those who have and continue to donate to us. :)

RichM 

Having just cancelled my monthly donation and replaced it with an annual one, I’d like to say full marks to whoever set up the shop front and link to PayPal. Made it very straightforward to set it up.