Unlicensed boat?

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, billS said:

Complicated games these.

You get some folk playing for both sides

Some who stand on their dignity and refuse to play on the same park with the undesireables from the other side

Some who aren't allowed in the opposition half

Can someone show me a copy of the rules, or is there no point as they keep changing?

Sorry. Which side are you? I need to update the scoreboard! 

24 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Sorry. Which side are you? I need to update the scoreboard! 

I better think of something. going back down caen hill Saturday.

he must of gone for the sensational daily mail headline.

I've got nothing. at least he has taken the vote remain sticker down.  ?

Edited by thebfg
  • Haha 1

Morning all. The game needs a name. Just seen it described elsewhere as "pudding baiting". About right! Has it become a Football at Christmas on the Somme moment? 

Trouble is, has anyone here the gumption to play away from home. And will banned members be allowed to play  here. Jenlyn will play on both sides with his own team of sock puppets.

I await the Tony v Rachel grudge match with great anticipation. 

The prize will be the Lift Bridge Single handed instructions Cup. When it turns up obvs. 

Edited by Jim Riley
To score another point.
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Just to "chuck another lump of coal or dribble of diesel in the fire box How do we know the licence was /was not valid at the time the photo was taken

A bit late to the party with that one! You've been reading on the other side? Now if I really wanted to cause trouble and dissent I'd post the pic of the starboard window. That really would break this forums own rules and cause arguments, hair pulling, scratching and biting amongst the ranks. 

The pics were taken by someone passing through recently. We have spies across the canal network. 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, billS said:

Complicated games these.

You get some folk playing for both sides

Some who stand on their dignity and refuse to play on the same park with the undesireables from the other side

Some who aren't allowed in the opposition half

(snip)

... Some who play the man, and not the ball

I've just become aware of this topic.

As said, the boat is licensed. We have not even 'been forgetful' we simply haven't been to the boat. Hence it's in the basin it is in, being looked after by freinds. I've recently relocated from Staffordshire to Merseyside, changing job and home, so it will be a quieter boating calendar this year, although she is due out shortly with my parents.

Usually we're pretty good and getting it displayed but you can't setup a direct debit to do that part of it!

Thanks

Daniel

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The T&Cs which you have signed up to :

7. Your other obligations
7.1 You must display the Boat’s name, index number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat so that they are always easily visible by our employees on the towpath or on the Waterway. If you do not, we may place a sticker on the Boat or on any cover on the Boat showing the number, which must not be removed unless the number is displayed in some other way. Any Tender must be marked with ‘Tender to (name and index number of the Boat)’.

Yes, I know. My vandal covers are poly-carbonate sheets attached to each window on the 'risk' side. 

It is just about possible to 'read' the license through the 'plastic', although from quite close up. Which would require the employee to be on the waterway to get really close enough, or using binoculars on the towpath.

I know I am nit-picking just for arguments sake, but it becomes a question of what is 'always clearly visible' - and by how many employees - and is 'clear' a consensus of 20/20 vision of a group - or is action taken on the opinion of one poor sighted person....?

But why bother, all CRT have to do is look up their records to see I have a current license.

If it matters to CRT, or anybody else come to that,  I will soon get a 'sticker' - so problem solved!

Separate to the 'display' issue, I think it important to make clear here that I made covers for my windows because of stone-throwing kids from an early experience 25 years ago. 

However, I don't want people here to get the wrong idea about Polesworth. Apart from my early  bad experience of broken windows, I have never actually seen any vandals in the area, or have heard of any trouble boat-wise. It is a good place to stop overnight - being handy to all shopping facilities and pubs.

Albeit mooring between bridges 52, 53 and 54 is possible but a bit iffy.  Between 52 to 53 it is cut through a rocky hillside so can't drive in piles (also shallow and soft stony bank edges) - but lots of  good steel piled moorings before and after 52 and 54 - except soon after 54 the bank is hefty piling with a solid towpath and stone/concrete capping.

7 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I know I am nit-picking just for arguments sake, but it becomes a question of what is 'always clearly visible' - and by how many employees - and is 'clear' a consensus of 20/20 vision of a group - or is action taken on the opinion of one poor sighted person....?

It is (party defined) in law, as to the readability / distance but not by the ability of the reader.

(1) Every vessel on any canal shall have exhibited on the outside
thereof so as to be clearly legible at all times at a distance of
twenty yards...………………………………...

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is (party defined) in law, as to the readability / distance but not by the ability of the reader.

(1) Every vessel on any canal shall have exhibited on the outside
thereof so as to be clearly legible at all times at a distance of
twenty yards...………………………………...

Thanks for that tip.

Personally I doubt if the details of license could be read through fully cleaned windows from 20 yards even on a clear day with good 20/20 eyesight.

20m is akin to the number plate reading distance for a driving license - soon to be 17.5m I believe - which is linked to the standard size of the number plate letters. .

CRT will have to revise their license size to make it readable from 20yds I guess.

...as I said, nit-picking by me.....

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

But why bother, all CRT have to do is look up their records to see I have a current license.

If it matters to CRT, or anybody else come to that, 

I find it interesting that boaters expect CRT to do what the law states and nothing but what the law states but feel it is OK for them not to follow the minutia of the law.

34 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I find it interesting that boaters expect CRT to do what the law states and nothing but what the law states but feel it is OK for them not to follow the minutia of the law.

It did come from CRT that boaters weren't required to display the license, until someone pointed out that it's a law that we have to.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

It did come from CRT that boaters weren't required to display the license, until someone pointed out that it's a law that we have to.

As boaters some boaters continually point out CRT can't change the law, but some boaters feel it is OK for them to but not CRT.

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

As boaters some boaters continually point out CRT can't change the law, but some boaters feel it is OK for them to but not CRT.

Promoting terms and conditions to get boaters to sign away their statutory rights is way worse than deciding not to display a licence. It's a big organisation bullying the little man, it's totally illegal and the legal team must know it. If they don't then they aren't competent.

They are relying on some boater risking a lot to get it clarified in court. Immoral and shameful. I don't know how the trustees/board allow it or why the Charity Commission can't take them to task. 

18 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Promoting terms and conditions to get boaters to sign away their statutory rights is way worse than deciding not to display a licence. It's a big organisation bullying the little man, it's totally illegal and the legal team must know it. If they don't then they aren't competent.

They are relying on some boater risking a lot to get it clarified in court. Immoral and shameful. I don't know how the trustees/board allow it or why the Charity Commission can't take them to task. 

As far as the law is concerned there there are no shades of grey you are suggesting shades of grey.  It is exactly as I said the CRT must obey every single little twist and turn of the law but some boaters don't feel they have to.  Hypocrisy. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Yes, I know. My vandal covers are poly-carbonate sheets attached to each window on the 'risk' side. 

It is just about possible to 'read' the license through the 'plastic', although from quite close up. Which would require the employee to be on the waterway to get really close enough, or using binoculars on the towpath.

If it matters to CRT, or anybody else come to that,  I will soon get a 'sticker' - so problem solved!

Separate to the 'display' issue, I think it important to make clear here that I made covers for my windows because of stone-throwing kids from an early experience 25 years ago. 

However, I don't want people here to get the wrong idea about Polesworth. Apart from my early  bad experience of broken windows, I have never actually seen any vandals in the area, or have heard of any trouble boat-wise. It is a good place to stop overnight - being handy to all shopping facilities and pubs.

Albeit mooring between bridges 52, 53 and 54 is possible but a bit iffy.  Between 52 to 53 it is cut through a rocky hillside so can't drive in piles (also shallow and soft stony bank edges) - but lots of  good steel piled moorings before and after 52 and 54 - except soon after 54 the bank is hefty piling with a solid towpath and stone/concrete capping.

Now that we have to print our own licences, couldn't you just print and extra one and stick it to tne outside of your polycarbonate protection panels.

Might need frequent replacement due to rain etc ?

Edited by cuthound
To remove a spurious space

50 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Now that we have to print our own licences, couldn't you just print and extra one and stick it to tne outside of your polycarbonate protection panels.

Might need frequent replacement due to rain etc ?

Well yes I could in my particular case. I might do that - and an extra large one for the benefit of those with poor eyesight so the can see it easily from the towpath .

In fact I have already done that with my boat name and number, printed on self-adhesive poly-foil 'paper' and laminated to protect the print from washing and wiping - mine has lasted a good many years.

21 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Well yes I could in my particular case. I might do that - and an extra large one for the benefit of those with poor eyesight so the can see it easily from the towpath .

In fact I have already done that with my boat name and number, printed on self-adhesive poly-foil 'paper' and laminated to protect the print from washing and wiping - mine has lasted a good many years.

I have seen one printed half size in a porthole

12 hours ago, Jerra said:

As far as the law is concerned there there are no shades of grey you are suggesting shades of grey.  It is exactly as I said the CRT must obey every single little twist and turn of the law but some boaters don't feel they have to.  Hypocrisy. 

No I'm not! I'm saying there is a big difference between the enormity of the offences. No licence displayed = stealing a penny chew, taking away statutory rights = killing, cooking and eating babies. Also the fact that lawyers (I spit on their graves) who know the law are promoting illegality and are being encouraged to do so by the upper echelons of management. "Will no one rid me of the troublesome priest?" They should be setting an example as a charity, be a model of ethical behaviour. 

As should The Great Leader! 

A phrase my Mother used to instill in us comes to mind, "two wrongs don't make a right" seems to have been lacking in Big Dick Parry's education. 

Ps There are 50 shades of grey, apparently. I'll bet there's many a lawyer can recognise it by the cover.