Unlicensed boat?

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

Morning all.

My post was factual and Informative, an inanimate picture "implies" nothing. However Notsofly Boy and others wish to see that it does, obviously seeing words that the rest of us can't, despite helpful suggestions around Optical aids.

Methinks they doth protest to much perchance. 

I made my thoughts clear in a further post, that The Great Leader is flouting Statute by not displaying a valid licence. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Those of you who have trouble understanding plain English might struggle even more with that one, however a travelling classicist will be along shortly to elucidate. It's not all Greek to him. 

11 hours ago, Flyboy said:

You obviously think it's funny to falsely name and shame somebody for not having a licence. I suggest you stick to Thunderboat unless you have something factual to discuss.

Perhaps you have not realised that the boat in the picture belongs to the owner of this web site. The original post was, I have no doubt, intended as a playful dig at him.

It appears that sometimes humour is about as welcome as pigs-in-blankets at a barmitzvah.

Blimey, calm down folks!

Jim, it's pretty clear that by posting that picture under the title "unlicensed boat?", you have indeed implied that it might be unlicensed.

However, Flyboy, what might not have been immediately obvious is that Jim is just joking - ribbing the owner of this forum about his failure to display an up-to-date licence. He doesn't actually think Emily Anne is unlicensed or mean that implication to be taken seriously.

Oh, and Jim again: the whole basis of the joke, surely, is that the out-of-date licence in Emily Anne's window implies she might be an "unlicensed boat" as per the thread title. So you can hardly protest that that a photo of that licence in her window doesn't in fact imply anything because it's just a photo.

8 minutes ago, magictime said:

However, Flyboy, what might not have been immediately obvious is that Jim is just joking - ribbing the owner of this forum about his failure to display an up-to-date licence.

We may still be few, but our numbers are growing.

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Now that's what I call a puzzle wrapped inside an enigma, a bit like the pigs in blankets you mentioned earlier.

"Pigs-in-blankets" are sausages, often pork, wrapped in rashers of bacon. Not available in kosher delicatessens.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Pigs-in-blankets" are sausages, often pork, wrapped in rashers of bacon. Not available in kosher delicatessens.

Yes, indeed. But I was referring to your 'we may be few' remark. At the risk of Jim's originally amusing thread being mired in over-explanation, what did it mean?

3 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Yes, indeed. But I was referring to your 'we may be few' remark. At the risk of Jim's originally amusing thread being mired in over-explanation, what did it mean?

Because Magictime also saw that it was a humorous post.

If the lauded "Four Candles" sketch was disected like this it would probably be hard to see the humour in it.  Time for everyone to accept this was a joke, rate it as highly or as poorly as they see fit, and move on surely?

• Greenie 3

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If the lauded "Four Candles" sketch was disected like this it would probably be hard to see the humour in it.  Time for everyone to accept this was a joke, rate it as highly or as poorly as they see fit, and move on surely?

Oh, I don't know. This thread has revealed quite a lot.

1 minute ago, Jim Riley said:

Outrageous posts? 

I thought it might be outrage at unlicenced boats, or,

Boats not displaying their licence, or,

Posts poking fun at Our Great Leader, or,

People having no sense of humour, or,

This endless dissection of your outrageous OP, or,

Hang on, what was the question again?

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought it might be outrage at unlicenced boats, or,

Boats not displaying their licence, or,

Posts poking fun at Our Great Leader, or,

People having no sense of humour, or,

This endless dissection of your outrageous OP, or,

Hang on, what was the question again?

Well that's certainly outrageous:  you can't just make up a poem by having every line end in the same word!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well that's certainly outrageous:  you can't just make up a poem by having every line end in the same word!

Its Anaphora innit?

Just that the lines are written backwards - which is outrageous - so I guess you were right (write?) all along.

Too warm for a coat so I'll just go.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

He's competing for the Mcgonigle Cup. 

Would I get reported if my license is not displayed then?

My cruising license is fully displayed, but hidden from view by the covers I need to protect my windows from stone-throwing vandals when I am moored at home most of the year.

My mooring license is not displayed because CRT have stopped issuing them.

59 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

the covers I need to protect my windows from stone-throwing vandals when I am moored at home most of the year.

Didn’t realise Polesworth was that dodgy, though it’s the only place where we’ve had a Peeping Tom try to see through the bedroom Houdini last thing.

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Would I get reported if my license is not displayed then?

My cruising license is fully displayed, but hidden from view by the covers I need to protect my windows from stone-throwing vandals when I am moored at home most of the year.

My mooring license is not displayed because CRT have stopped issuing them.

The T&Cs which you have signed up to :

7. Your other obligations
7.1 You must display the Boat’s name, index number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat so that they are always easily visible by our employees on the towpath or on the Waterway. If you do not, we may place a sticker on the Boat or on any cover on the Boat showing the number, which must not be removed unless the number is displayed in some other way. Any Tender must be marked with ‘Tender to (name and index number of the Boat)’.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Years ago the company I worked for had a visit from an Israeli company. Classic case of left hand not knowing what right hand was doing (or ignoring any "special instructions") a buffet lunch was ordered as normal. Including pork pies, sausage rolls, ham sandwiches, sausages-onna-stick -- even the crisps were bacon flavoured...

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Years ago the company I worked for had a visit from an Israeli company. Classic case of left hand not knowing what right hand was doing (or ignoring any "special instructions") a buffet lunch was ordered as normal. Including pork pies, sausage rolls, ham sandwiches, sausages-onna-stick -- even the crisps were bacon flavoured...

No shellfish?