Chesterfield Canal

cobaltcodd

Featured Posts

With all the water shortages and problems around the system at the moment, could someone advise on the state of the Chesterfield canal please?  It has a reputation for being quite weedy, and this hot weather probably hasn't helped.  We're thinking of going there in about 8-10 days time.  If it's no good then we can head off to Lincoln and Boston etc.  many thanks.

The reservoirs have plenty of water plus there are a number of river feeders also topping the canal up - water no problem.

Weed has been a 'problem' for ever and to some erent always will be, arrable farm drain off, plenty of sunlight and light boat traffic are great ingredients.  however, the moorers at Clayworth and Shireoaks all manage to get about,  the weed cutting boats are at work, so it depends on your attitude to progress.  Slow and stedy usually gets you through,  heavy power just drags your stern down leading to bottom scraping and weed round the prop. Judicial use of reverse is also a good idea.

Hull design can make a difference, our old 1970s ex Dartline boat always got through easily, we found a crew member stood in the bows helped to keep the stern lifted up.

We're land based nowand have not been near the canal for about six weeks so can offer no condition report.

It looked okay at West Stockwith basin when we were there on Wednesday a week and  a half ago .  There was some weed in the basin but not a problem. We walked up the towpath to Misterton and the canal was as free of weed as I have seen it (surprisingly).

Some fish deaths evident probably due to lack of oxygen in the water associated with the hot weather. We did not see many boat movements but were only stopped there 24hrs.

With enough crew you can bow haul it, like the Chesterfield Canal Trust do with Dawn Rose, or borrow a horse. Dawn Rose also has the option of sail and oars for propulsion, so weed doesn't need to be a problem! 

Sorry, I don't have current information on the state of weed on the Chesterfield. I've taken the boat there twice. The first time I was defeated by weed just beyond Retford. The second time I got to the Norwood tunnel entrance and the current connected end of the canal, but that was deliberately done in early June, rather than later in the summer to try and avoid the build up of weed. The Witham down to Boston also has a bit of a reputation for weed, so you may not escape it there.

Of course some people think weed and canals go together very well. https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/97388-is-this-what-they-mean-by-wellbeing-by-water/

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

• 11 months later...

Have just returned from my main holiday of the year on the Chesterfield canal and just wanted to post a comment on what a great time we had. The flight of locks leading up to Norwood tunnel are something special, there are some exceptionally pretty spots along the way. Also impressed with Retford, the pubs there and the club house / basin at West Stockwith. Really welcoming people. 

Yes the winding hole was as far as we went then back to the moorings. The next day we walked and followed the route of the canal (most of the way) all the way to Chesterfield. Train back to boat via Sheffield. The work done is really impressive but there is loads more to make the full length navigable. The other end of the tunnel took some finding.