Unidentified Boat

RogerM

Featured Posts

Anyone able to identify this boat, photographed in Circus Field Basin, Aylesbury on 14/03/18? Looks like a GUCCC boat, converted and possibly shortened (or that might just be the telephoto effect). Looks like it might have the original cabin on the back. 

Aylesbury 140318s1.jpg

Belfast.  Owned by a regular poster on here.

Glad to beat DM to it!

N

9 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Looks like a Northwich to my untrained eye. Stand to be corrected.

20110423163026206.jpg

The Northwich has stem rivets athwartships  whereas your actual  Woolwich stem has rivets fore and aft (ish).

N

8 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Belfast.  Owned by a regular poster on here.

Glad to beat DM to it!

N

The Northwich has stem rivets athwartships  whereas your actual  Woolwich stem has rivets fore and aft (ish).

N

Could I ask what athwartships means? I must admit that I'd never noticed there were no visible rivets either side of the stem on a Northwich before, generally relying on the size of the round 'nose' being larger on the Northwich to identify at a glance. 

10 minutes ago, BEngo said:

N

Not to mention the rolled over stem post and tapering top bends on a Northwich. The stern is easier as a Northwich has an extra guard around the lower half of the counter - and there are a multitude of other differences throughout the two types :captain:

38 minutes ago, BWM said:

Could I ask what athwartships means? I must admit that I'd never noticed there were no visible rivets either side of the stem on a Northwich before, generally relying on the size of the round 'nose' being larger on the Northwich to identify at a glance. 

Definition of athwartships. : across the ship from side to side.

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, BWM said:

Timage.png.dd08f8d370be02fcc5b5bcb1511c7e5a.pngThis

This photo of the reconstructed top part of a Woolwich stem post shows what a complicated and magnificent bit of kit the complete stem post is on these boats. The side plates/top bends are rivetted through the holes. On a Northwich these aren't present and the plates are rivetted through the centre bit of the stem.
Being built at Brinklow Boat Services for Star.

Edited by davidg

10 hours ago, ChimneyChain said:

Just out of interest who fitted these extra bands was it waterways? Got a photo of Bicester & baildon in 55 and the extra band not on then.

Some never acquired them.

I can't remember whole list, but Bath and Bilster are two such examples.

13 hours ago, RogerM said:

Anyone able to identify this boat, photographed in Circus Field Basin, Aylesbury on 14/03/18? Looks like a GUCCC boat, converted and possibly shortened (or that might just be the telephoto effect). Looks like it might have the original cabin on the back. 

Aylesbury 140318s1.jpg

Yes that is Large Woolwich Belfast, which my wife and I bought last year from the Dacorum Narrowboat Project, who had owned the boat since 1971. 

Belfast is still full length and retains the original riveted steel engine room, but the back cabin has been replaced in steel (and is the wrong shape).

12 hours ago, David Mack said:

Yes that is Large Woolwich Belfast, which my wife and I bought last year from the Dacorum Narrowboat Project, who had owned the boat since 1971. 

Belfast is still full length and retains the original riveted steel engine room, but the back cabin has been replaced in steel (and is the wrong shape).

Thanks for the info David :)