Crane / launch location suggestions, Midlands.

NealSmith100

Featured Posts

Evening everyone, 

So the house sale is going through and we are hoping to launch our first boat, Little Miss Sunshine, around 17 August (subject to completion). We have managed to find transport for her from Bickerstaffe to a launch spot. We were going to launch from Teddesley Boat Company in Penkridge as they had a crane for £600, but they have called and said that they can't launch now until at least a week after that. However, that is then pushing against a time frame our builders can launch us.

Ideally we;d like somewhere a couple of days cruising from Lichfield so we can sail the boat to our home marina.

Obviously, it may not even come to this but rather than does anyone know any alternatives and/or crane companies in a similar area we could approach? Barton's Turn will launch for £680 but need 2 weeks notice.

Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Have you tried Mercia? Dedicated crane pad, only in use once a week at most. Think they specify Steve Foster these days, though.

We called them. They said that they didn't have a crane and never specified or mentioned hiring one. Funnily enough, enough I would have remembered had they mentioned Steve Foster as he is the person that Barton's Turn said would would need to use. 

I'll call them again in case there just has been a mis-understanding.

Edited by NealSmith100

1 hour ago, NealSmith100 said:

Evening everyone, 

So the house sale is going through and we are hoping to launch our first boat, Little Miss Sunshine, around 17 August (subject to completion). We have managed to find transport for her from Bickerstaffe to a launch spot. We were going to launch from Teddesley Boat Company in Penkridge as they had a crane for £600, but they have called and said that they can't launch now until at least a week after that. However, that is then pushing against a time frame our builders can launch us.

Ideally we;d like somewhere a couple of days cruising from Lichfield so we can sail the boat to our home marina.

Obviously, it may not even come to this but rather than does anyone know any alternatives and/or crane companies in a similar area we could approach? Barton's Turn will launch for £680 but need 2 weeks notice.

Thanks. 

Streethay Wharf at Lichfield do regular craning in - they don't have an on-site crane but hire one in. Call them and see if they can fit you in then you usually can share the cost with the other users.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Talk to Calcutt Boats. Its a bit far but maybe doable in two long days. They have their own straddle lift and launch trolley so may be able to fit you in between blackings.

That is where I launched Harnser. Didn't want a crane sitting there if we were stuck on the A14. very obliging, said just turn up and we will pop it in for you so long as its in normal working hours.

10 hours ago, NealSmith100 said:

We called them. They said that they didn't have a crane and never specified or mentioned hiring one. Funnily enough, enough I would have remembered had they mentioned Steve Foster as he is the person that Barton's Turn said would would need to use. 

I'll call them again in case there just has been a mis-understanding.

Yes, they don’t organise the craning for you, but if you call Steve Foster they can probably give you a quote for using Mercia or Barton.

6 minutes ago, sarahavfc said:

I will have a crane at Glascote Basin around that date. Give me a call on Monday if interested 01827311317.

Sarah

Wow, a girl wiv her own crane, that gives out her telephone number:)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

AND - she has a Mick as well !!!

But does she drink pints of Guinness?.............I had a mate years ago who had a girlfriend who drank pints of Guinness and we were all very impressed as this was when most birds drunk babycham or a snowball or at best brandy and babycham.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

But does she drink pints of Guinness?.............I had a mate years ago who had a girlfriend who drank pints of Guinness and we were all very impressed as this was when most birds drunk babycham or a snowball or at best brandy and babycham.

No, She's a lager drinker, but she does have two very nice boats ?

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, sarahavfc said:

I will have a crane at Glascote Basin around that date. Give me a call on Monday if interested 01827311317.

Sarah

Hi Sarah - Will do, thanks. 

Thanks for all the sugdestions all, I'll look into them all. :)

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:16, Rob-M said:

Alvechurch have a crane, easy three days to Lichfield, could be done in two.

They would be perfect if they ever returned messages or calls :(

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 06:46, BruceinSanity said:

Yes, they don’t organise the craning for you, but if you call Steve Foster they can probably give you a quote for using Mercia or Barton.

Mercia will not allow us as we do not have a mooring there (we are on their waiting list)