Phyllis Nicklin Canal Images

Heartland

Featured Posts

Yes, Mike, I recall that you had had designs on Linda/Victoria when we first met! Having failed to get the Seaford out of Willow Wren, we made our first visit to Gas Street and came away the proud owners of an engineless heap. No regrets though. Enjoyed best part of 25 years ownership.

On 08/07/2021 at 11:50, Heartland said:

Should gates be put back as a heritage feature at Hall Green, on the Macclesfield ?

The second lock at Hall Green has been gateless since Adam was a lad, it's a curiosity because it is two chambers rather than one chamber with two sets of gates, but I wonder how long they both had gates. My guess would be that, if the second chamber ever had them, the original ones were used so little they weren't replaced when they rotted. 

On 08/07/2021 at 11:50, Heartland said:

Edited by magpie patrick

5 hours ago, BuckbyLocks said:

As opposed to the motor with the missing engine hole roof which is Linda/Victoria, just before we bought it!  Barrow, next door to John's Victoria, was soon to get a full length cabin.

So is there any truth in the story I was told that the steel used in the conversion came from the back door of the press shop at Longbridge? The last remnants I took off suggested this was a possibility.

The second lock at Hall Green has been gateless since Adam was a lad, it's a curiosity because it is two chambers rather than one chamber with two sets of gates, but I wonder how long they both had gates. My guess would be that, if the second chamber ever had them, the original ones were used so little they weren't replaced when they rotted. 

Ah, the story - I did not have space in the T & M Book for this and will cover it in WHG paper for the RCHS.

The balancing lock was a Trent & Mersey decision that was effectively ratified by their own act of Parliament. Suffice it to state the locks were built for opening of the Macclesfield Canal, but BW chose to do away with the chamber nearest Hall Green so that they could reduce the level at Harecastle Tunnel. It would be of interest to know a date for that, I suppose.

15 hours ago, davidg said:

So is there any truth in the story I was told that the steel used in the conversion came from the back door of the press shop at Longbridge? The last remnants I took off suggested this was a possibility.

Not sure David. Although Barrow was the first real boat that offered me a cup of tea in the basin when we first arrived as owners of Victoria, I didn't get to know ? (My memory is definitely failing!!) until many years later when I found I was working with him in the Museum. I think he moved out of the basin soon after 1971.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this image is that one or two of the Alvechurch hire boats both pictured from the stern? I remember Coral Amethyst and Jade, but cant find reference to which was which. I think the boat from the stern that is the most obvious could be Amethyst, but I seem to recall that they possibly came later than 1962 to Alvechurch for hiring?

I do remember one couple came to hire one of them with a pet monkey that clambered up the flagstaff at Alvechurch and wouldn't come down - that would have been around 1968 😀

mCan0006.jpg.da9e6a8f4fa33f371380839a2007ec6b.jpg