K&A summit pound temporary closure

Dave123

Featured Posts

For those that didn't get the email. Hopefully just due to leakage not bigger water supply issues...

Kennet & Avon Canal
Starts At: Lock 55, Crofton Top Lock
Ends At: Lock 54, Cadley Lock

Friday 29 June 2018 19:00 until further notice

Type: Advice 
Reason: Water resources

Update on 26/07/2018:

The Levels on the summit pound have further dropped to -460mm.

We now need to close the summit pound to allow levels to recover.

The Summit pound will re-open at 10am on Saturday 28th July, subject to the levels having recovered sufficiently to allow safe navigation through the Bruce Tunnel

A further update will be issued at 10am on Saturday 28th July

I saw this, we should be arriving there sunday/Monday I hope the pumps can recover it.

were going to head off that way fill of optimism.

something must of happened. it seems to have coped so far witg the restricted locking times.

It doesn't help that signage about leaving Wootton Rivers locks empty is confusing. No sign on top lock to leave empty but couple of CRT bods there when I went through the other week said to leave it empty...and in general a lot of people miss the open paddle at the other end and so waste water accidentally trying to fill a lock left empty with a paddle up.

I think you will be fine though as apparently Wilton water levels are ok.

Wilton Water is full and feeding the Crofton pump culvert as well as overflowing slightly into the run off brook towards Great Bedwyn and all points east. I agree with the  lock empty instructions, a hire boat going down from Crofton moorings dropped the pound about 8in two nights ago after trying to fill the lock with the bottom paddle open until they noticed then dropped the paddle with a bang.  Perhaps a sign on the top gates/paddles asking them to check bottom paddles before trying to fill the lock would potentially save water.

Cheers

David

Please note the original CRT notice is dated June, we are now at the end of July.

15 hours ago, Ace 01 said:

Wilton Water is full and feeding the Crofton pump culvert as well as overflowing slightly into the run off brook towards Great Bedwyn and all points east. I agree with the  lock empty instructions, a hire boat going down from Crofton moorings dropped the pound about 8in two nights ago after trying to fill the lock with the bottom paddle open until they noticed then dropped the paddle with a bang.  Perhaps a sign on the top gates/paddles asking them to check bottom paddles before trying to fill the lock would potentially save water.

Cheers

David

Please note the original CRT notice is dated June, we are now at the end of July.

Yes they put an update on it for July and recycled the older notice!