Unexpected treat....Spey

SuRice

Featured Posts

Hubby & I went out for an impromptu bite to eat by the riverside at Holt Fleet this evening & was delighted to see (& hear) Spey who moored up practically next to our chosen riverside table. Such an unexpected treat ?

ED03F113-4C37-4456-8389-CD46D2F749D4.jpeg

4 hours ago, SuRice said:

No mistaking the sound of the Bolinder! 

When I had my "Josher "motor it was fitted with a 25hp Seffle 2stoke Semi diesel  a good few folk remarked even some having looked in the "engine ole " Your Bolinder sounds really nice it's not misfiring at all well it wouldn't as it had a governor & fired every stroke not missing 1 in 4+the exhaust water jacket & silencer were on the other side of the cylinder supose it works on the principal that all ballpoint pens are Biro's & all one pot semi diesel marine motors are "Bolinder's" ?

22 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

didn't you give in a put a bollynin though?

LILY kept its Seffle until 1998 when it was replaced by the Bolinder BM 20hp that had come out of JAGUAR - with the Seffle subsequently fitted into the 1998 built wooden motor SEVERN. I hope 'X Alan W' will not mind me saying that the removal of the Seffle from LILY had nothing to do with him as this boat had changed hands several times between his ownership and these engine changes :captain:

9 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

didn't you give in a put a bollynin though?

Not on your life it it was some mis guided later owner he did resort to a gearbox though the "Seffle from the boat I had is still popping along in " SEVERN"

8 hours ago, pete harrison said:

LILY kept its Seffle until 1998 when it was replaced by the Bolinder BM 20hp that had come out of JAGUAR - with the Seffle subsequently fitted into the 1998 built wooden motor SEVERN. I hope 'X Alan W' will not mind me saying that the removal of the Seffle from LILY had nothing to do with him as this boat had changed hands several times between his ownership and these engine changes :captain:

Thanks  Pete , could never understand why a 25 HP air starting GB equipped motor was swapped for a 5HP less kickstart nowhere as nice running motor  but it was at the time the owners prerogative I Know I wouldn't have done it

In the 1990s there were two Seffles, one at either end of the Tring Summit.  Lily and Owl could often be heard pop-popping along in that neck of the woods.

In case anyone doesn't know what a Seffle looks like, here's the one in Owl.  After ten years it was time for someone else to look after the Seffle and we swapped it for a Kelvin.

8a.JPG.abfc3fec5ce3e8e4a77491b319308140.JPG

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

Thanks  Pete , could never understand why a 25 HP air starting GB equipped motor was swapped for a 5HP less kickstart nowhere as nice running motor  but it was at the time the owners prerogative I Know I wouldn't have done it

my apologies Alan thought was you. I knew she had it swapped out and went into Severn. I would love lily was a lovely boat

4 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

my apologies Alan thought was you. I knew she had it swapped out and went into Severn. I would love lily was a lovely boat

No apologies required Every one has their favorite bits of kit; I have to admit when the Seffle was offered at much less money than the cost to refurb the Bolinder & it was a GB motor with Air start & glow plug heat to start + it had a dynamo so I had "Leccy" it was a success as a buy being in commercial operation 1958 /68 & a further 3 seasons Hotel Boating & on only on 2 occasions did I have to resort to kick starting it never broke down only stoppages was clearing the mud box & crap around the blade Around 2 gallons of diesel & 1pt of lub oil (Total loss oil system)per 12 hrs of running  was a big wrench to sell when my wife got to sick to hotel boat  Shame the present owner is taking so long to rebuild the cabin after his lamp fire

You guys are so knowledgable ??

I’m hoping there is some information about my ancestors - I’m tracing my family history of working narrow boats but would prefer to use private messaging at this time.