Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Ray T

Really don't know what to say

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

I think this picture is worse.

ORNZ4M4MWNBB3O5PQN2HGOX7MA.jpg

What unnerves me about this picture is not the paddleboarder (if you fall off a paddleboard you invariably end out in the water) but the person who took the photograph!  To get that shot they are either standing at the far end of the aqueduct with a very long lens and a flash like a nuclear explosion or they are hanging over the side of the water trough:wacko:

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

What unnerves me about this picture is not the paddleboarder (if you fall off a paddleboard you invariably end out in the water) but the person who took the photograph!  To get that shot they are either standing at the far end of the aqueduct with a very long lens and a flash like a nuclear explosion or they are hanging over the side of the water trough:wacko:

Or it was a drone.......

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Or it was a drone.......

As the video shows if was all filmed with a drone, of course there could have been other photographers as well.

15 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yes. You stand on the step which is inside the boat not on the counter.

And you know for a fact that every boater does that?

Don't  get me wrong I have nothing against any canal activities providing that they don't get treated in more favorable terms to the detriment to the general upkeep for the benefit of paying parties ie. multiple signs & money badly needed for maintenance spent on seemingly non essential things,

25 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

And you know for a fact that every boater does that?

No. However your post implied steering a trad stern was inherently more dangerous than steering a semi-trad or cruiser which is absolutely not the case if you stand in the proper position. Bear in mind it's difficult to steer a trad when not stood on the step and there is no more reason why anyone steering a trad would choose to stand in a dangerous position than there is on a semi-trad or a cruiser.

You also directly compared steering a trad to standing on a paddle board. On a trad stern you can and should stand in a place where you are surrounded and protected from falling on three sides and too far away from the rear of the boat to fall off the fourth side. There's nothing to stop you falling off a paddle board. Do you think as many people fall off trad sterns as fall off paddle boards?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

No. However your post implied steering a trad stern was inherently more dangerous than steering a semi-trad or cruiser which is absolutely not the case if you stand in the proper position. Bear in mind it's difficult to steer a trad when not stood on the step and there is no more reason why anyone steering a trad would choose to stand in a dangerous position than there is on a semi-trad or a cruiser.

You also directly compared steering a trad to standing on a paddle board. On a trad stern you can and should stand in a place where you are surrounded and protected from falling on three sides and too far away from the rear of the boat to fall off the fourth side. There's nothing to stop you falling off a paddle board. Do you think as many people fall off trad sterns as fall off paddle boards?

JP

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Do drones have flash or lighting? (serious question 'cos I don't know).

it's either a drone or a camera on a stick.  but as they took drone footage.

some drones have exceptional cameras and lighting on.

I don't think it's any more dangerous than say motorsport, climbing, caving, mountaineering and many other extreme sports.

I would say there is more chance of someone falling of the back of a narrowboat than there is him falling off.

has no one seen the people who free climb buildings and cranes.

3 hours ago, thebfg said:

in say motorsport, climbing, caving, mountaineering and many other extreme sports.

has no one seen the people who free climb buildings and cranes.

.. thing is that CRT have a legal responsibility to users [I think], otherwise why are they using handrails for example. They should probably stick little notices all over the place forbidding this that an t'other.: this might conflict with wellness and the freedom to walk on towpaths, not to mention boating. 

Edited by LadyG

Its stupidity. A fairly small unexpected gust of wind, a momentary loss of balance? who knows but people have done daft stuff since the begining of time.

If a paddleboard tips you are likely to go into the water down either directly beneath or adjacent to the board.  So if keeping to the middle of the canal it isn't that likely you would be thrown over the edge. Ray T's photo, with the possibility of the rudder catching on something, looks far more dangerous - perhaps C&RT should have a campaign to deter boaters from acting inappropriately? :)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

If a paddleboard tips you are likely to go into the water down either directly beneath or adjacent to the board.  So if keeping to the middle of the canal it isn't that likely you would be thrown over the edge. Ray T's photo, with the possibility of the rudder catching on something, looks far more dangerous - perhaps C&RT should have a campaign to deter boaters from acting inappropriately? :)

Or, like Scottish canals, discourage movement.......................

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Or, like Scottish canals, discourage movement.......................

I think they have started up north?

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Its stupidity. A fairly small unexpected gust of wind, a momentary loss of balance? who knows but people have done daft stuff since the begining of time.

Exactly, I was nearly strangled by a Tilley hat when a sudden gust of wind caught it and tried to lift me up and off the boat when crossing the Pontycysllte Aqueduct ?

Edited by cuthound
To add an emoji

36 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Exactly, I was nearly strangled by a Tilley hat when a sudden gust of wind caught it and tried to lift me up and off the boat when crossing the Pontycysllte Aqueduct ?

How big a Tilley hat do you have?:unsure: or are you really,really small?

10 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

How big a Tilley hat do you have?:unsure: or are you really,really small?

Lol, normal size hat, 5 foot 10 inchrs tall and 11 stone.

I demand that regulations be brought in immediately to require railings - on every paddle board on the canal system.  Both sides.

Sign in to follow this