Starter Battery

Idle boater

Featured Posts

Hi folks,      I need to replace my starter battery as its been in position for a good few years the stickers have long gone, But the company I'm dealing with want to know what ah the battery is, its ti start my 1.5 bmc engine. Any techno bods have any ideas please, its a lucas.

many thanks     Mike

Just measure the dimensions and note the post position and tell them. Anything of typical dimensions will be about twice the  Ah you need. Size & post layout is usually more important on a boat so it will just fit straight in with no messing.

For goodness sake do not get mixed up with sealed batteries unless  you have a very good reason to.  With open cell batteries the "service intervals" these days seem much the same as for sealed but now and gain you can look inside them and if done several times a year you gan get a handle on the start of failure AND they are far easier to test using Sp. Gr./relative density.

9 minutes ago, Idle boater said:

its not holding a charge, and will not turn the engine over, I had it on charge overnight two nights ago and its as flat as a fart this morning, water levels are ok.

Hmmm. 

You're probably right but I've replaced enough starter batteries in my life only to find the symptoms return three weeks later, to want to do a bit more checking before lashing out on a new battery. 

27 minutes ago, Idle boater said:

its not holding a charge, and will not turn the engine over, I had it on charge overnight two nights ago and its as flat as a fart this morning, water levels are ok.

As per voltage checks at the lead posts both cranking/attempting to crank and not cranking or because it will not turn the engine over? If the latter (all together now) Does your master switch have a plastic key?

54 minutes ago, Idle boater said:

yes a big red plastic one ???

Take the key out. Roll up a bit of paper maybe the size of a fat pea. Drop it in the hole. Reinsert the key. 

Does your engine now now turn over?

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

Take the key out. Roll up a bit of paper maybe the size of a fat pea. Drop it in the hole. Reinsert the key. 

Does your engine now now turn over?

Or test the voltage as I described on the battery lead posts and put the readings here.  That will tell us if the battery is as you describe it (dead flat) or you have another fault like dirty battery terminals and so on.

16 hours ago, Idle boater said:

Hi folks,      I need to replace my starter battery as its been in position for a good few years the stickers have long gone, But the company I'm dealing with want to know what ah the battery is, its ti start my 1.5 bmc engine. Any techno bods have any ideas please, its a lucas.

many thanks     Mike

Have you looked on Eurocarparts.com?  I bought a Bosch S3 for my boat recently and with the code JULY70 (35% discount) got it delivered for about £100 (and that's a big battery).  You can see the measurements on all the batteries and compare like Tony says. 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770965&1&cc5_1004

Edited by Psycloud

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Or test the voltage as I described on the battery lead posts and put the readings here.  That will tell us if the battery is as you describe it (dead flat) or you have another fault like dirty battery terminals and so on.

I was working on the assumption that OP either doesn’t have or is reluctant to use a multimeter, based on the fact that we’ve had no voltage readings to date. A scrap of paper however is likely to be to hand ;)

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I was working on the assumption that OP either doesn’t have or is reluctant to use a multimeter, based on the fact that we’ve had no voltage readings to date. A scrap of paper however is likely to be to hand ;)

Fully agree, but if he finds that does not help he has two choices, try voltage testing or try a new battery. Both have a close to 50% chance of not being the answer and if he goes for a new battery but has dirty/corroded clamps or a loose termination he may think he has cured the problem only for it to reappear in a short time. I was just trying to reinforce that what you said may not provide a definitive test for whatever problem he has.

Sometime I think the CaRT & EA license conditions should demand the boater demonstrates some degree of competence in using a meter.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I have one of the uni-t meters, often mentioned on here. 20 quid delivered, i find it quite acceptable. 

Same here, used it recently to check batteries when NASA BM2 was showing 11v.  Quick disconnection of each battery and check with uni-t showed each battery at 12.7v so disconnected and reconnected the BM2 which then also showed 12.7v which was a relief as first thought was knackered battery bank.