THAXTED

Featured Posts

I know you think that a conversion is only an evolving part of a boat's history, but personally  I find what has happened to Thaxted / Widgeon a  bit sad.

I believe it has until now never carried a conversion, and my understanding is that it's previous owners sold it and replaced it with a converted boat of the same type to avoid being the ones to change it.

I don't know, but maybe they now think they might just as well have hung on to it.

The steelwork was largely done at Ivybridge Marine, I think, but the boat then spent a long while having it fitted out at Weedon.  I think the end result isn't sympathetic to the original.

But, as you have said, it is up to any owner to decide what they do about their boat - I do realise a lot of people think our cabin conversion unsuitable, and my only defence to that is that we didn't do it!

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

I know you think that a conversion is only an evolving part of a boat's history, but personally  I find what has happened to Thaxted / Widgeon a  bit sad.

The evolving history of a boat is a fact, and although I constantly say that it is up to the current owner what they do with their boat it does not necessarily mean that I like it.

I think what has happened to THAXTED / WIDGEON is pitiful following all of the work that was done to it prior to being sold in 2016, which is why I started this thread in order to highlight the changes and how it is being used :captain:

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But, as you have said, it is up to any owner to decide what they do about their boat - I do realise a lot of people think our cabin conversion unsuitable, and my only defence to that is that we didn't do it!

Unsuitable for what ? it was converted to be used as a pleasure / house boat and I would say it looks to function very well as just that. I am certainly not on the page that all 'historic' boats should be unconverted, and I much prefer FLAMINGO's conventional cabin conversion than any undercloth conversion :captain:

Such a shame, there must be so many suitable craft available to be used for this purpose. I know the gazebo bit isn't permanent but it is so unsympathetic to the boat, and it appears that the top part of the cants has been removed to leave a shelf? 

He way I see it is that lots of boats have been converted and unconverted over the years. And whilst it may not appeal to everyone it's what the current owner has chosen.

There's been no drastic changes to the boat or anything original being cut or removed from the hull which is the main thing. There's nothing to stop a future owner spending a bit of time with an angle grinder and removing the small extension and thereby putting the boat back to how it was 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

He way I see it is that lots of boats have been converted and unconverted over the years. And whilst it may not appeal to everyone it's what the current owner has chosen.

There's been no drastic changes to the boat or anything original being cut or removed from the hull which is the main thing. There's nothing to stop a future owner spending a bit of time with an angle grinder and removing the small extension and thereby putting the boat back to how it was 2 years ago.

Speaking for myself, the small cabin extension is not an issue but visually the tent section looks ludicrous and does nothing for the boat. Of course the owner is free to choose, but even from a business perspective a more aesthetic set up would surely be better? This could have been achieved with a more suitable craft as a base. I have no axe to grind being the owner of a converted boat and am always pleased to see anyone trading on the canals. In the end, bolting a caravan onto a cortina does not make it a viable campervan 

I have no gas axe to grind, but that's all it will take in the future.

My question is when did she lose her Yarwoods cabin top rails in preference for Harland and Wolff ones?

Oh ….. and does "Barge" refer to the boat or the tent over the hold?

2 hours ago, Liam said:

To me the thing that is such a shame is THAXTED / WIDGEON was well on its way to becoming a really nice unconverted boat, and its previous owners put in a lot of time and expense to achieve this - I know, their boat, their money, their choice just as it is with the current owner.

Of course the alterations made to create a floating theatre can easily be undone but as THAXTED / WIDGEON had never been converted it would have been great to see the works started by its previous owners completed - perhaps with an undercloth theatre similar to when the royalty motor DUKE was a cinema :captain:  

38 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

My question is when did she lose her Yarwoods cabin top rails in preference for Harland and Wolff ones?

In the mid to late 1950's when the steel cabin was replaced by a wooden cabin as part of 'British Waterways' improvements :captain:

edit = definitely a wooden cabin prior to its sale to Willow Wren Canal Carrying Company in December 1961 - and still powered by a National 2DM.

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

The steel cabin was lost in the 60s. When we had her she had a wooden back cabin . The story goes boatmen prefered wooden cabins rather than northwich rivetted steel.

The yarwoods steel handrails had gone when we had her, having been replaced by timber woolwich style. The engine room roof was original at that point, complete with old exhaust holes. Engine replaced by willow wren. At that time bulkheads were intact , between engine hole and cabin and hold.

she had a plated over hole on the front engine rmbulkhead which i was told had been cut to let warm air through to the sheeted up front when used as camper.

i wrote a long missive about her history about 2 hours sgo but did not post.

we are very upset, the last owners on realising( like us in 2000) that sale was better than conversion offered us first refusal in 2016. One of my lifes regrets now is not having just written a cheque, but owning another town class and working 8 months of year abroad we declined. Our and the boats loss.

• Greenie 1

Cheese boats, fudge boats, fender maker boats, tea shop boats, art gallery boats (wide), cinema boat (DUKE, as was for a while under cloths), Mikron with TYSELEY.

WIDGEON/THAXTED as a theatre cum bar(?), making use of a limited space for passing trade, then moving on, seems to attract a purpose of use that is certain to fall by the wayside. If I wanted to go a bar, it would be one of my choosing with a bit of history attached, and comfortable surroundings. If I wanted to watch a play, I'd go to a theatre with a full sized stage to watch a production of my choice. My own interest in canals and their history took me to watch Mikron, and Day Star but performing in pubs and marquees - not on a boat - there's not enough space.

This I suspect will be a temporary venture for the people involved, until they find that their income falls below expenditure, and when on dock, they have all their props or 'bar' features to store for the duration.

Like Traction engines, ex-working boats in carrying condition looking pristine are mostly big boys and girls toys for show, and for a while joining in a community afloat with like minded people. There are a few trading fuel supplies, but how many have shore based homes in which to bring up families? That needs space, and full length converted boats are still a part of a boats history, as they are fulfilling a need. But, does the canal community need an occasional theatre/bar? Will it entice sufficient passing punters into stepping aboard to be entertained? I think not. Going to a theatre is something to plan, a day or evening out. Strolling along a towpath is in itself a day out, with perhaps an ice cream or cream tea taken in along the way. But - 'ooh! A theatre boat - lets take in a show!' Erm . . no thanks. I'm out for a walk, I don't want to sit down for an hour or so doing something I didn't plan on, inside a black tent. Maybe if they'd set up as Gypsy Rose Lee - Fortune teller and spiritual guide at a fiver a head for ten minutes consultation (there's a thought Mr. Fincher - bit of rouge and big ear-rings) - but then, the beard would put me off a bit.

My prediction (for free as wel!) WIDGEON/THAXTED will be available in the not too distant future for another change of use.

• Greenie 2

Plenty of little holes to weld up where the fasteners for the gazebo have been attached to the hull, as well as those on the steel gunwales for the brackets holding up the frame - none of which is the end of the world but demonstrates lack of any empathy and perhaps indicates the direction in which THAXTED / WIDGEON is heading in the short term.

Image taken from post number 13 - Tim Lewis.

CCEnGtKFDGeQLvZIekS4OZ6jAXuvVmDd9eJc4AvFxa4eJxFPc?viewBox=1132%2C635

Edited by pete harrison

As an ex owner of a large Northwich I think this particular conversion is poor to say the least and it even has a chimney on the wrong side.

when we sold ours we were offered a better price by someone who wanted to convert it and refused. The new owner traded and carried with it until domestic circumstances lead to a sale. It’s still unconverted but I wouldn’t say it’s in better condition than when we sold it 35 years ago. 

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

Plenty of little holes to weld up where the fasteners for the gazebo have been attached to the hull, as well as those on the steel gunwales for the brackets holding up the frame - none of which is the end of the world but demonstrates lack of any empathy and perhaps indicates the direction in which THAXTED / WIDGEON is heading in the short term.

Image taken from post number 13 - Tim Lewis.

CCEnGtKFDGeQLvZIekS4OZ6jAXuvVmDd9eJc4AvFxa4eJxFPc?viewBox=1132%2C635

The image appears to have stopped being displayed, so here it is again:

416444324_THAXTED(WIDGEON)May2018(TimLewis).jpg.ef7f4f201aa456562e0cd0025d5a610e.jpg

8 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Nice to see 'H.M.S.' BARNET still in use (the blue and yellow boat), and what must be a fairly rare scene outside of a show of 3 large Grand Union motors on the move - the others being THAXTED / WIDGEON and FULBOURNE :captain:

2094422557_May2018(TimLewis).jpg.a61b574e4d32aaac07ca7627054630a8.jpg

12 hours ago, pete harrison said:

The image appears to have stopped being displayed, so here it is again:

416444324_THAXTED(WIDGEON)May2018(TimLewis).jpg.ef7f4f201aa456562e0cd0025d5a610e.jpg

Bloody hell what a mess. Distresses me let alone Roland.

But as Pete says, in 20 years it will be seen as just a phase in the history of THAXTED.