Rank these boat builders!

jetzi

Which of these boat builders would you consider reputable / good value?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these boat builders would you consider reputable / good value?

• Alvechurch
    • Avon Canal Boats
    • Black Prince
    • Canal Transport Services
    • Colecraft
    • Floating Homes
    • G & J Reeves
    • Hancock & Lane
    • Heron Boatbuilders
    • Les Allen
    • Liverpool Boats
    • Mick Cull
    • Mike Heywood
    • Pennine Fabrications
    • PKB
    • R&D Fabrications
    • Springer
    • Starcraft
    • Steelcraft Ltd

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, DandV said:

A Mercedes is better then a Toyota 

Is it?

Mercedes’s UK marketing department would have you believe so (and they’ve succeeded out of all proportion to where they started) but how is it that everywhere else in Europe a Mercedes is just a decent taxi?

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Is it?

Mercedes’s UK marketing department would have you believe so (and they’ve succeeded out of all proportion to where they started) but how is it that everywhere else in Europe a Mercedes is just a decent taxi?

Our 8 year old grandaughter got into the back of our Merc this morning and said "Ooooh, is this a Limo?". Her dad drives a Toyota.?

Here come the back slappers again. Even the OP caught onto that reasonably early..

Anyway.

I had a Merc back in the day. Also had a Lexus soon after. The Lexus was better.

But again that is personal pref isn't it.

Should add I am really a Jag fan, they are lovely cars, well the older ones were. Lots of issues though.

But nowadays anything will do, even a Ford.

Edited by 70liveaboard

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

My point exactly. 

The clue being in the original question for all to read.

"Which of these boat builders would you consider reputable / good value?" 

I spose i could have voted with  someone else's opinion! 

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The clue being in the original question for all to read.

"Which of these boat builders would you consider reputable / good value?" 

I spose i could have voted with  someone else's opinion! 

Yeah, people have choices.

But both the Merc and the Lexus/Toyota depreciated like bricks. Whereas a Ford holds its price well.

Merc say = Colecraft, Lexus say = Hudson.. General publics perception of car and quality, not the boats, there for example.

Ford = Liverpool (maybe)

That is why ranking boatbuilders is just silly. For every person there will be a different outcome. A ardent Liverpool boat owner, will want them high in the list. Same as a Colecraft owner or Hudson or whoever.

For me, I like affordable ownership, that is why generally, I would choose something other than the perceived high end builders.

Edited by 70liveaboard

And selling well a few years down the line means buying well now. Not paying £45k for a £30k boat regardless of who built the shell or did the fitout. Buying something with a sound hull & engine but with a slightly tired interior can be a decent investment if your DIY skills are up to par. On the other hand if you’re going to pay tradesmen for every job you require (installing/upgrading solar, building new cupboards etc) then you’d be better off buying a boat that has no need for improvement, only on-going maintenance. 

• Greenie 1

The correct way is always to go and look.

A Hudson, Colecraft etc can be overpriced at new, so obviously when people sell on, they think they're going to get a good return, which is certainly not always the case. In-fact in my experience, as I keep pointing out, name means nothing after its sailed for the first time. Its only worth what someone will pay for it and looking, there are plenty of nice boats around, built by known and indeed unknown builders.

Plus perceived high end builders are only put there by a reasonably small section of the boating public. The actual boat building side of the trade (hull builders), can have a very different view, which in some cases is based on good solid build information and not just competitor 'bashing'.

16 hours ago, DandV said:

A Mercedes is better then a Toyota but for the type of motoring I do there is no way I could justify the premium that Mercedes owners wanted on selling over a Toyota. Same goes for boats.

Condition, Layout, facilities and size for your chosen boating mode and budget are what are important. Hull failures are rare, (except perhaps leaks around windows and the other deckhouse penetrations) and these are generally independant of  the shell builder, but a result of protective coating failure. Engine failures on the common, bog standard reputably marinised industrial  units are also rare.  Electrical, plumbing and drainage, and appliance  problems are however prevalent.

Mercedes were better than Toyota many years ago but today Japanese cars are much better than German cars.

16 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

You dont live in London do you.

She ain't that daft!

• Haha 1

I have to admit I haven't read every contribution so apologies if someone else has made this point.

Yes there are certain "boutique" names that are associated with "quality" shells and fitouts, but it takes a while before you begin to appreciate just why guys like eg Les Allen, Ian Kemp, Roger Farrington, Doug Moore etc are held in such high regard, and OTOH why Springers are not such bad boats after all.   The point is, what attracts other buyers to certain builders may have absolutely no relevance to you and there's no point in listening to anyone justifying their choice because the reasons for it are entirely personal.

The best thing you can do is get a decent Colecraft with a Kubota engine which after a year or two you can easily sell when you have discovered for yourself what it is you really want.  And you might be surprised.

• Greenie 1