Rank these boat builders!

jetzi

Which of these boat builders would you consider reputable / good value?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these boat builders would you consider reputable / good value?

• Alvechurch
    • Avon Canal Boats
    • Black Prince
    • Canal Transport Services
    • Colecraft
    • Floating Homes
    • G & J Reeves
    • Hancock & Lane
    • Heron Boatbuilders
    • Les Allen
    • Liverpool Boats
    • Mick Cull
    • Mike Heywood
    • Pennine Fabrications
    • PKB
    • R&D Fabrications
    • Springer
    • Starcraft
    • Steelcraft Ltd

Featured Posts

Be kind to the OP.  So many thoughts, so many opinions, and so many boats. Information overload, so spreadsheeting for them may well be a valid method for them getting their thoughts together.  It was for us. Our early spreedsheets were crap, wrong questions, wrong informatiion, but they got better, we did later eventually whilst cruising, actually see some of our final five top rated spreadsheet  from afar boats and they were , with one exception valid calls.

Hopefully by now the OP's have agreed on what they want from their boating. Hopefully they have got on the tow path and sought out, and talked to those boaters who are actually doing the type of boating  they intend to do.  The actual boat is only part of it, albiet an important part, of those intentions. The more boats seen and the more they think and sort that information, (by whatever process), the more likely they will be able to identify and act  quickly on the availability of a boat that can work for them, or at least can be made to work for them.

• Greenie 2

43 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

I expect that impression is due to every other post saying "go look at boats" and everyone slapping each other on the back saying "hear, hear" more than anything I've said, which usually relates directly to boats that we are in fact looking at. I don't have the patience to convince anyone though, so believe what you want.

So if you'll excuse me I'll not ditch the spreadsheet just yet.

"Damned if do, damned if don't" is what it must look like to you.

The trouble is, the only thing that boaters have in common (apart from boats) is that we're all different. So advice comes from all sides and many of us appear to be contradicting each other. I hope you believe, as I do, that most of the advice is offered sincerely, as a result of experience, and with goodwill. At least you can say that you're getting a cross-section of views.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Damned if do, damned if don't" is what it must look like to you.

The trouble is, the only thing that boaters have in common (apart from boats) is that we're all different. So advice comes from all sides and many of us appear to be contradicting each other. I hope you believe, as I do, that most of the advice is offered sincerely, as a result of experience, and with goodwill. At least you can say that you're getting a cross-section of views.

This is good advice even though it's from someone with a completely horrendous bit of kit from the devil known as a " cross bed " ?

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

This is good advice even though it's from someone with a completely horrendous bit of kit from the devil known as a " cross bed " ?

...and another one known as a Gardner 2LW.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

...and another one known as a Gardner 2LW.

There are worse engines in fairness. Them bolinder crappy things would completely do my head in for instance.

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

and an awful colour scheme

True enough ?

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

and an awful colour scheme

You must be thinking of the wrong boat. Ours is based on an ex-working boat colour scheme, Chance & Hunt of Oldbury. It's always easy to find in the car park.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

You must be thinking of the wrong boat. Ours is based on an ex-working boat colour scheme, Chance & Hunt of Oldbury. It's always easy to find in the car park.

any narrowboat is easy to find in a car park

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

For those who own their own house - if you have to factor in another 12 grand for rent then the balance seems firmly tipped in favour of the narrowboat, right?

Rental income from my flat would be £350pcm. that's a long way off £12Kpa

6 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

I expect that impression is due to every other post saying "go look at boats" and everyone slapping each other on the back saying "hear, hear" more than anything I've said, which usually relates directly to boats that we are in fact looking at. I don't have the patience to convince anyone though, so believe what you want.

The first boat we asked about, Joan, got a very negative review from the forum, with the primary criticism being the pedigree of her hull builder. So, I try to find out more about hull builders and everyone says "thats not the way to do it maaan, when you find her, you'll just know, maaan". That's cool though, people have different views and it's good to get a balanced perspective. For me by now this viewpoint is exactly halfway between

"You must buy a Colecraft, an R&D or a Haywood... and whatever you do stay away from Liverpool. It's like the difference between a Rolls Royce and a Skoda."

and

"Don't pay any attention to the shell builder, it's a cottage industry, each boat is unique, there's no way to tell a hull's quality without a survey and it doesn't matter anyway, the fit-out is the important thing."

As such I'm still lead to believe that the hull builder is of halfway importance and I've mentally weighted it accordingly. It's not about _prohibiting_ boats that don't get a rave review from the forum. When I see a boat built by a certain Gary Gorton, and I have no idea if he's the king of narrowboat builders or a weekend warrior with an oxyacetylene torch, it's helpful to be able to look at something that says, ok there are 3 other Gorton boats for sale, and at least some people think he's OK, before I commit to a weekend of traveling or even a 1000 pound survey completely blind.

So if you'll excuse me I'll not ditch the spreadsheet just yet.

I think (only my opinion, obviously,) this is getting silly.

Ivan & Alice, you are welcome to come and look at my boat (it's not for sale and it would be outside your budget) but it is 70' and I can explain why it is better than any Liverpool boat. I can also show you the many eccentricities missed by the survey (or caught by the surveyor but subsequently ignored by me).

Perhaps some more of us could make a similar offer?

PM me if you like.

Frank.

• Greenie 1

A Mercedes is better then a Toyota but for the type of motoring I do there is no way I could justify the premium that Mercedes owners wanted on selling over a Toyota. Same goes for boats.

Condition, Layout, facilities and size for your chosen boating mode and budget are what are important. Hull failures are rare, (except perhaps leaks around windows and the other deckhouse penetrations) and these are generally independant of  the shell builder, but a result of protective coating failure. Engine failures on the common, bog standard reputably marinised industrial  units are also rare.  Electrical, plumbing and drainage, and appliance  problems are however prevalent.

2 hours ago, frahkn said:

I think (only my opinion, obviously,) this is getting silly.

Ivan & Alice, you are welcome to come and look at my boat (it's not for sale and it would be outside your budget) but it is 70' and I can explain why it is better than any Liverpool boat. I can also show you the many eccentricities missed by the survey (or caught by the surveyor but subsequently ignored by me).

Perhaps some more of us could make a similar offer?

PM me if you like.

Frank.

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=577842

I've seen better too from Liverpool Boats. And price wise doing well for a 2004.

Edited by 70liveaboard

44 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=577842

I've seen better too from Liverpool Boats. And price wise doing well for a 2004.

Wouldnt touch it with a bargepole tied to another bargepole whilst wearing a radiation suit, and thats the poor op s problem. He doesnt know what he wants or likes. I  spent ages deliberating over replacing my skoda vrs because i hadnt got a clue, looked at bmws, volvo, mercedes other skodas and ended up with a flipping honda because it fits the garage and i can get 4 racing bikes in the back. So highly modded yobbo skoda to flat cap wearing brown honda diesel...

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Wouldnt touch it with a bargepole tied to another bargepole whilst wearing a radiation suit, and thats the poor op s problem. He doesnt know what he wants or likes. I  spent ages deliberating over replacing my skoda vrs because i hadnt got a clue, looked at bmws, volvo, mercedes other skodas and ended up with a flipping honda because it fits the garage and i can get 4 racing bikes in the back. So highly modded yobbo skoda to flat cap wearing brown honda diesel...

Not asking you or indeed anyone to touch it with anything.. Just showing that Liverpool and other builders from Liverpool area, build good boats that hold a price.

Colecraft a touch older 4yrs around the same price, but with a better engine. I know which boat has held its price better and always will.

(The Liverpool one)

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=576068

But they're both nice boats, just a matter of taste and pref. For me ownership cost wise, Liverpool 55. Others will choose Colecraft based on the heritage etc.

It's all down to personal pref really.

Edited by 70liveaboard