Housing Benefit for Moorings. Is it a joke?

sailor0500

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Robbo said:

The £16K savings limit also goes for Job Seekers Allowance as well or whatever they call it these days.

Since replaced with Universal Credit which includeds housing costs, processed by the DWP instead of the local council.

4 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Since replaced with Universal Credit which includeds housing costs, processed by the DWP instead of the local council.

Looks like it varies around the country, although I no longer claim HB (don't need it at the mo) when I did it was through the local council and the DWP had no input.  In fact it was through "Anglian Revenue Partnership" a collection of various local authorities 

Phil 

25 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Looks like it varies around the country, although I no longer claim HB (don't need it at the mo) when I did it was through the local council and the DWP had no input.  In fact it was through "Anglian Revenue Partnership" a collection of various local authorities 

Phil 

Universal Credit is to replace the following benefits:

• Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

With HB paying the boat license, but not the insurance. 

As insurance is a statue requirement for licensing a boat under the 1995Act, then it should be covered. 

Bod

8 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

• Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit

Does this now mean that housing benefit will no longer be location based? 

If so this could be a significant change.

I qualify for housing benefit but don't claim it as I don't want to be restricted in my movements, would rather take the hit and be free to travel where and when I want. 

8 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

• Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit

...and is being phased in on a geographic basis.  If UC hasn't yet been phased in in your area then you claim under the old benefits. 

If I had £16000 pounds in the bank I would feel that I'm ripping someone off. If you have that amount disposable funds you don't need benefits, in my view. Give me £16000 and I promise not to claim benefits.

I'd like to add, if I lived on a boat and was a pensioner.

Edited by Nightwatch

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If I had £16000 pounds in the bank I would feel that I'm ripping someone off. If you have that amount disposable funds you don't need benefits, in my view. Give me £16000 and I promise not to claim benefits.

I started work in 1971 and the present wife in 1969 we both finished last year and we are skint so can we have some please Mr ?

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If you have more than £16000 doing nowt, no. If you have £15999, yes, apply here.

I wouldn't have a clue how to even start to make a claim................?

38 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If I had £16000 pounds in the bank I would feel that I'm ripping someone off. If you have that amount disposable funds you don't need benefits, in my view.

That's most noble of you; but it could be said that the system penalises people who have been prudent and put their money away in savings accounts, whereas those who have  spent it all in the Dog & CART are given hand-outs.

One way of looking at it. I still think the threshold of £16000 is a substantial amount if you live on a boat and own that boat. If, say, you are in private rented accommodation, that's going to be in the region of £1000 pcm rent. So the £16000 won't last too long. If a pensioner owns a boat, receives state pension and receives HB to assist in mooring and services cost and had £16000 in the bank he's loaded.

Lets look at my own particular situation. Margaret and I both receive state pensions, just. I have a Services pension and Margaret has a NHS pension. We now both pay tax, not a lot! but we do. As we have this amount coming in, for which we are grateful, I doubt we could get any benefits as our income would be over the threshold. We understand and accept that. If we didn't have the Service or NHS pensions then I reckon we could get assistance for moorings if and when we decide to give up cruising and live in a marina. Even if we have £16000 in the coffers. £16000 seems a high amount of capital in this instance. I have had to recieve benefits in the past following heart problems and subsequent redundancy (thank you MITIE). I didn't have savings, I'm not that type of guy. Rainy day fund? It's always rained in my life. We lived in Privately rented accommodation, we have three sons all living at home. When working, income was satisfactory. The house was a detached four bedroomed house. Housing berk Officer visited and announced four bedrooms were too many. Reduced our benefits accordingly. To move into smaller accommodation was not an option as I was due to have heart op, violin anyone?. As there was obviously no financial help with deposits,moving costs and the like. We stayed put, begged,stealled and borrowed our way along. It was tuff. Recovered and got a job. The rest is history. I wouldn't want to apply for benefits and am not envious of those that have to. However there are those that work the system very successfully. Good luck to them I say. If our ystem allows them to then let them eat cake. (Is that right?)

only my own views.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

It's interesting that there still a hard-core of the population that believe anybody receiving benefits is some sort of works shy scrounge, this may be true of some but they are in the minority 

Yes I have claimed benefits in the past but nothing I was not entitled to and I have worked and paid my taxes and dues for 47 years so feel that I most certainly contributed my fair share. I reckon there are many in the same position who try to hide the fact that they are getting a bit of help from the state for fear of being thought to be a work shy scrounger 

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 3

Great news, thanks for posting, I have a big boat, didn't know it was calculated this way.  

The way I see it is there is always a cut off, always someone who falls just outside the rule and it is not uncommon for it to appear like a stupid rule either, with a lot of things in life, this has been me before and I'm pretty sure it happens to most of us yes?  I really felt for those folk who were set to retire who had years added on to their working lives.  Life isn't fair, the benefits system is definately not fair.  Get angry yes, but only about the things you can change or influence, most of us can not change the system, we accept this, we take the rough with the smooth, you win some you lose some hey.

It's great that any housing benefit at all is awarded to liveaboards really. It wouldn't be too difficult for the powers that be to invent a rule that excludes us. 

On 24/07/2018 at 19:31, rusty69 said:

Meny appolloggies your correct of coarse. 

yuo're both rong

On the subject of benefits, the ignorant will not get enough to live on, and will have to sell their house. This releases capital so no benefit may be claimed.

You are not "homeless" so won't get housed.

don't ask me how I know this.

Edited by LadyG

30 minutes ago, LadyG said:

yuo're both rong

On the subject of benefits, the ignorant will not get enough to live on, and will have to sell their house. This releases capital so no benefit may be claimed.

You are not "homeless" so won't get housed.

don't ask me how I know this.

5 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

won of them must bee write

At last count, there was only won of me:)

On 24/07/2018 at 21:40, Alan de Enfield said:

The boaters I know in 'our' marina get their moorings fees paid (the actual fee that would be chargeable, which I suppose is therefore by length), and their BSS, and, their licence fees paid. Their Insurance is not covered (paid) as that is not a mandatory part of owning a 'house'.

But it is to get a CRT licence

14 minutes ago, b0atman said:

But it is to get a CRT licence

It maybe, but as I was helping someone to get what they could, I think we did 'well' getting the Mooring fees, the Licence fees and the BSS costs all paid after the "obligatory sucking of the teeth and NO-WAY" thrown at us

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It maybe, but as I was helping someone to get what they could, I think we did 'well' getting the Mooring fees, the Licence fees and the BSS costs all paid after the "obligatory sucking of the teeth and NO-WAY" thrown at us

I got it when I was on disability but never claimed BSS as it never came due..Remembering back it was number of bedrooms on form.