Southern Oxford Summit.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Just now, alan_fincher said:

The thing though is that they can quickly reduce from "open most of the day" to "only open a few hours a day" if they want to, and may well do yet, if reserves worsen.

A few years back when most of the Southern Grand Union and Oxford flights only opened a few hours a day, it was hugely limiting, because it was in some cases not possible to do one starting at the earliest available time, then get to the next one before that flight was locked.

Was it 3 years ago when both ends were only open 10am to 1pm, so you could not cross the summit in a day.  So for someone on a hire basically it wastes 2 days of their holiday so they will likely go another route.  That sevely reduced to boat traffic on the Oxford, such that it could be sustained with the back pumping alone (according to the lock keeper on Napton, or Clayton, I can’t remember, at the time).

I am rather surprised to see Hillmorton included in the restrictions though, although the “Braunston pound” is about 3 inches of level and has been for a week or so.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

But presumably the difference is that the staff who lock up at the end of each day can make sure that all gates and paddles are properly closed, so there is less likelihood of water running to waste during the night.

Do they, or do they just go to lock the top and bottom locks at the end of their shift and couldn't give a stuff about the ones in between...

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You are right. I used to call Hooky  (which is actualy Hook Norton best bitter with an updated poncy name) Car wash when I had waddies pubs. You would drown before you got drunk on that stuff and Old Hooky is a vastly superior brew as is their Double stout.

Now that is a good beer.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

There are long delays at Claydon Locks today! CRT staff are in attendance to regulate the flow! Apparently there Is insufficient water in the pound above Broadmoor Lock.

Pound below cropredy is down 20cm.  Peewit farm moorers are sat on the bottom.  It's been dropping over the last three days.

22 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Pound below cropredy is down 20cm.  Peewit farm moorers are sat on the bottom.  It's been dropping over the last three days.

Let's pray for rain. I am wanting to come through there next week. Suppose we can always go back on the Thames though.

On 03/08/2018 at 14:23, BruceinSanity said:

My memory is that Napton was closed in 76 when we hired from Braunston.

Yes that's right. I remember being quite shocked when my father slipped the lock keeper a tenner to let us up the flight and get back to our mooring. That wouldn't happen nowadays....

18 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes that's right. I remember being quite shocked when my father slipped the lock keeper a tenner to let us up the flight and get back to our mooring. That wouldn't happen nowadays....

That's pretty much £70 in todays money. You could have had a "steak meal" and enough Watney's Red Barrel at the Foley  to see you through the evening.  

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, billS said:

That's pretty much £70 in todays money. You could have had a "steak meal" and enough Watney's Red Barrel at the Foley  to see you through the evening.  

Thank you. I had managed not to think about Watneys for quite a few years.

Well we have managed to get back to our home mooring at Cropredy but it must rank as our slowest decent from Claydon Top Lock ever! The water at Cropredy is so low that we need the plank out to reach our landing stage. Can anyone suggest a private dredging company - seriously, we need to get our mooring dredged!

6 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

Well we have managed to get back to our home mooring at Cropredy but it must rank as our slowest decent from Claydon Top Lock ever! The water at Cropredy is so low that we need the plank out to reach our landing stage. Can anyone suggest a private dredging company - seriously, we need to get our mooring dredged!

Can't suggest a particular company, but when I was in negotiation with CRT over permission my EoG mooring, CRT said if my mooring required dredging I would have to use one of their approved dredging contractors, and it would be at my expense.

Perhaps best to contact CRT and see who they suggest?

35 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

But don't  forget there's the notorious/celebrated ledge upon which all Fairport fans meet.....

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What does it say? Can't see the content as it demands I turn my ad blocker off. Fekkum.,

They were extracting 9 m3 per day to supplement stand pipe water used to fill a spray bowser laying excessive dust on site. Locals had complained about dust from the building ops. After being spoken to by the EA and CRT they have stopped. 20 m3 is the threshold for needing an EA licence, so no criminal offence committed, just a civil one of abstracting canal water without CRT permission.

9 m3 is 9,000 litres, of course, so not a trivial amount of water.

40 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

They were extracting 9 m3 per day to supplement stand pipe water used to fill a spray bowser laying excessive dust on site. Locals had complained about dust from the building ops. After being spoken to by the EA and CRT they have stopped. 20 m3 is the threshold for needing an EA licence, so no criminal offence committed, just a civil one of abstracting canal water without CRT permission.

9 m3 is 9,000 litres, of course, so not a trivial amount of water.

But nothing compared to 1 lock of water, can’t see it making a great difference to water levels.

6 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

A narrow lock with a 6' drop uses 85 cu m (85,000 litres) of water. Something about that news story isn't quite right.

Indeed so and this was surely never the real cause of the drop. A 12 inch (or whatever) drop in a 2 mile pound could never have been accounted for by the builders, there must be/have been something else.

It's now getting on for a month since I came through that pound. Does anyone know what it's like now?

38 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

A narrow lock with a 6' drop uses 85 cu m (85,000 litres) of water. Something about that news story isn't quite right.

Quite. 

So 9 cu m per day is a trivial quantity to be removing so cannot possibly have been making any measurable difference to water levels, as I suggested had to be the case near the start of the thread. 

6 hours ago, Woodsy said:

It says............."Turn your add blocker off"???????????? ???????

Yes a big rectangular image fills the screen saying exactly that! 

(But without the smileys.)