Southern Oxford Summit.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Being uncharitable does "no plans" mean something akin to "we don't do planning" and wait for thing to happen -

OR (more hopefully) does it mean "we don't need to plan because we have plenty of water"

Discuss....

I'm inclined to think it means someone in CRT is keeping a careful eye on the reservoir level, but they don't tell the CRT 'customer facing' staff anything until they need to actually do something e.g. restrict navigation. Then the restriction details are distributed to staff along with a prognosis for the future, for the staff to tell enquiring 'customers'. 

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm inclined to think it means someone in CRT is keeping a careful eye on the reservoir level, but they don't tell the CRT 'customer facing' staff anything until they need to actually do something e.g. restrict navigation. Then the restriction details are distributed to staff along with a prognosis for the future, for the staff to tell enquiring 'customers'. 

You're kind and very charitable, Mike - and probably correct. However, the element of being PC or finding a way of saying 'nothing' isn't terribly helpful. Especially if folks who do move, tend to cover quite long distances.

(We decided to abandon our annual venture up the ditchy bit and down the other side a couple of weeks ago - which is a shame)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't seem to have seen anything about the Oxford summit, or about the low pounds at Banbury or Kidlington, for a while now. I'd like to think no news is good news but have any forum members got anything to report on how it's been over the last few days?

With Cropredy festival only a week away there must be members on there way there by now.

I'm in the Teddington/Kingston area over the weekend and need to decide on whether to start (slowly) back up to Napton via the Thames (licence ends 20 August) and the Oxford on Monday (my preference) or go up the GU instead.

Reservoir levels were not too bad compared to historical low and the rest of the country. Google 'CRT reservoir watch'. The southern GU is faring much better however (90ish%) but the northern GU is much lower (around 60% if I remember rightly) so I'd say it depends on how quickly you want to make the journey and where you ultimately want to get to?

8 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Reservoir levels were not too bad compared to historical low and the rest of the country. Google 'CRT reservoir watch'. The southern GU is faring much better however (90ish%) but the northern GU is much lower (around 60% if I remember rightly) so I'd say it depends on how quickly you want to make the journey and where you ultimately want to get to?

The answer is...

Slowly! 

Thames licence runs to 20 August and I'd like to stay on the Thames until then. Final destination is Calcutt and we don't need to be back there until the end of August, maybe early September.

As I said, my preference is via Oxford as we'd prefer to have a few days in Abingdon in mid August. However, if there is a significant chance that we will get trapped by problems on the Oxford canal, but not on the GU, then I would have to seriously consider the GU route before we leave Kingston.

38 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I don't seem to have seen anything about the Oxford summit, or about the low pounds at Banbury or Kidlington, for a while now. I'd like to think no news is good news but have any forum members got anything to report on how it's been over the last few days

Came across a very windy summit at the weekend heading towards Braunston in a boat drawing about 28 inch with no problems at all.

51 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Spoke to someone from CRT last evening at The Cape. I mentioned the South Oxford Summit. He seemed to think there aren't any issues. So sail away boys, no worries.

My most FAVOURITEST PUB EVER.... 

(Nearly)

• Happy 1

Has the South Oxford ever been completely closed due to water shortages?   In previous years restrictions have been put in place so the the water level can be maintained by back pumping.  I seem to remember when that was in place a few years ago that CRT stated that could be maintained indefinitely, i.e. there would not need to be a complete closure due to water resources.

On 25/07/2018 at 09:52, Tonka said:

But in them days there were 26 hours in a day. Now we are on daylight saving there are 24

Actually, days are getting longer, by about two milliseconds each century, due to the moon slowing down the earth's rotation. This effect hasn't had a noticeable impact on my life.

45 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Has the South Oxford ever been completely closed due to water shortages?   In previous years restrictions have been put in place so the the water level can be maintained by back pumping.  I seem to remember when that was in place a few years ago that CRT stated that could be maintained indefinitely, i.e. there would not need to be a complete closure due to water resources.

Assuming the pumps don't fail. As on the GU North fairly recently I believe.

Anyway thanks for the reassurances, all sounds good. I never really had much doubt but thought it was worth checking before we head back up the Thames.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My most FAVOURITEST PUB EVER.... 

(Nearly)

This begs a question so obvious I won't even ask it.

5 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Great Western?  Presumably the one at Aynho? 

No! Far too much emphasis on food for it to be a real boozer.

The GW in Wolverhampton is a proper pub, coal fires, tucked under a railway viaduct, cobbled street outside and excellent beer.

(For all that I'll even forgive it it's name!)

Cheers.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Eaten once in the Aynho Great Western, that was something like fourteen years ago. But I've had some great boozy nights in there since. 

Only been there once, they don’t let dogs in and we sat in the wasp infested “garden” for a drink.  Not been since, I guess we should give it another go and leave the dog on the boat.

7 minutes ago, billS said:

The trouble with the Great Western is Hook Norton beer.

It's just not very good.

Horses, courses ....meat, poison....other clichés are available. I like it. Beats the bejasus out of Doombar: you can taste it for a start.

14 minutes ago, billS said:

The trouble with the Great Western is Hook Norton beer.

It's just not very good.

Yes they only sell "Hooky" in the real ale department which is a shame. Despite the similarity in name, a massively inferior ale to "Old Hooky" which I really like.