Detroit Diesel

dewintondave

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, dewintondave said:

Has anyone heard of a Detroit Diesel 2-71 being fired to a narrow boat?

Have not seen one in a Narrowboat but have seen Detroit 71 series in tugs ,work boats Barges Etc

71 Cubic Inches per Cylinder (1160CC X2) and 2 Stroke engine means it wont run Sweetly unless it is under considerable Load.

Edited by cereal tiller

I had a 4 cylinder GM Detroit 2 stroke in my barge when I brought it. It was a dirty smelly engine and on start up the smoke was like a fog. The Belgium cyclists used to go past holding there nose’s. Parts are still available but they are a very old technology.

Havent come across a 2 cylinder version but there are 6, v6 and v8’s still running in barges on the continent. They were mostly ex American tank engines but also Allison Chambers used them in tractors. 

Very heavy engine mated to an Allison gearbox, when I replaced it with a 6 cylinder Perkins the boat came up 3 inches! Think it would put a narrow boat on the bottom.

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

I had a 4 cylinder GM Detroit 2 stroke in my barge when I brought it. It was a dirty smelly engine and on start up the smoke was like a fog. The Belgium cyclists used to go past holding there nose’s. Parts are still available but they are a very old technology.

Havent come across a 2 cylinder version but there are 6, v6 and v8’s still running in barges on the continent. They were mostly ex American tank engines but also Allison Chambers used them in tractors. 

Very heavy engine mated to an Allison gearbox, when I replaced it with a 6 cylinder Perkins the boat came up 3 inches! Think it would put a narrow boat on the bottom.

Who she?? Sperring check confusing again.

I only mention it 'cos the thought of a norange Allis Chalmer  brings back happy memories of playing farmers at age 10. Blurry awful TVO machine - I just couldn't restart it when harrowing a field.

Interesting to see the power output from the single cylinder version  is only 10 hp but the two pot manages 68 hp.  Guess that's down to scavenge efficiency and the power cost of driving the scavenge blower.

IIRC the unit injector is a thing of GM's own devising so perhaps not that well-known around the injector-servicing traps 

Two-strokes are noisy devils.

N

Old goat is quite right dislexia strikes again. I don’t regognise the colour norange though.

the 4 cylinder was 115hp nominally. 

Pleased to see the back of it, life has been quieter and cleaner these last 10 years.

58 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Old goat is quite right dislexia strikes again. I don’t regognise the colour norange though.

the 4 cylinder was 115hp nominally. 

Pleased to see the back of it, life has been quieter and cleaner these last 10 years.

My attempt at humour to lighten things up a bit - "what colour is your tractor ' it's an Orange one' (colloquially n' Orange)....

17 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Ours were always blue (fordson)

Since you've started -

Forson - Blue

Allis Chalmers

Fergie  grey (not the lady - though when younger she had curly ginger hair)

Dexta - Blue

The AC was I think made available to small formers as part of the U.S. lend lease arrangements 

13 hours ago, BEngo said:

Interesting to see the power output from the single cylinder version  is only 10 hp but the two pot manages 68 hp.  Guess that's down to scavenge efficiency and the power cost of driving the scavenge blower.

IIRC the unit injector is a thing of GM's own devising so perhaps not that well-known around the injector-servicing traps 

Two-strokes are noisy devils.

N

The 171 is as rare as.  The 271 is much more do able.  Detroits are fantastic heavy duty engines with a heavenly sound.  It would really wake up the marina with some of that good ol screamin jimmy.  I'm a member of a few Detroit appreciatin fb pages...