Scarisbrick Marina to Preston Brook. Single handed. Any tips?

Aguila

Featured Posts

I've been asked to move a friend's 57ft NB from Scarisbrick Marina to Preston Brook.

Any tips would be appreciated, including the time it's likely to take and suggestions for a couple of overnight stops.

Thanks.

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?quickroute=yes&where=Scarisbrick Marina,Preston Brook - Waters Meeting

3 days.

I'd adjust the stops to be Wigan Dry Dock moorings (go to Wigan Central) and The Moorings pub at Boothstown.

24 minutes ago, Aguila said:

Is Plank Lane Bridge manned or boater-operated?

Self operated with a watermate key

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?quickroute=yes&where=Scarisbrick Marina,Preston Brook - Waters Meeting

3 days.

I'd adjust the stops to be Wigan Dry Dock moorings (go to Wigan Central) and The Moorings pub at Boothstown.

Self operated with a watermate key

Thanks for the Canal Plan link. I've played around with the 'stops' and decided to move to boat to Crooke Hall beforehand, then start the trip from there. If I'm at Ell Meadow Lock when it opens at 8am, I should get well beyond Plank Lane Bridge on day #1.  I've roped in a pair of windlass-wielding buddies so will only be solo from Poolstock onwards.

36 minutes ago, Aguila said:

Thanks for the Canal Plan link. I've played around with the 'stops' and decided to move to boat to Crooke Hall beforehand, then start the trip from there. If I'm at Ell Meadow Lock when it opens at 8am, I should get well beyond Plank Lane Bridge on day #1.  I've roped in a pair of windlass-wielding buddies so will only be solo from Poolstock onwards.

Crooke Hall would be an excellent place to stop for a pint or two. On a busy afternoon it looks like a "family eatery" but its actually a proper boozer. Some of the locks are big and deep but generally fill and empty quite gently. Appley bridge lock is very deep so a big climb up a ladder unless you can bow haul the boat in.

..............Dave

Thanks Mr Wool ! 

I've got help as far as Poolstock so Plank Lane bridge is going to be my first 'solo' obstacle. Can anyone tell me if the console there is on the offside or the towpath side please? Either way I'm gonna have a long queue of irate motorists ? 

I might be able to persuade one of the 'Poolstock' helpers to meet me at Plank Lane in their car. I started out planning the whole trip solo but now have several offers of help as far as Wigan. Don't know if it's the lure of the Crooke Hall Inn or just an excuse to get away from their wives! 

I don't think you need any help at Plank Lane - it's certainly not worth someone coming just to do it for you. You can easily move the boat up almost to the bridge controls, get it opened and get through pretty quickly. You will create a traffic queue as it's a busy road but it won't take too much longer than if you have someone to open it for you. In any event there are often other boats around there so you might fine someone to help anyway.