Resevoir feeders to the Macc Canal

david Rushton

Featured Posts

I'm not suprised the Macc has low resevoirs. I explored,and photographed, the feeders to the Bosley and Sutton resevoirs with members of the newly formed Macc canal society between 1984 and 1990. Most of the extensive feeder network had fallen into disrepair. Until these are repaired everytime there is a prolonged dry spell there will be restrictions and canal closures. I doubt CRT (BW mark 2) will have the financial resources to repair them all, as they run to around 10 miles in total, with about 2 miles working. Working feeder streams, Rossendale brook into Sutton resevoir, Swallowdale brook and another stream into Bosley. There is a small feed into the canal at Clarke Lane Bollington. In the acts of Parliament for the construction of the Macc ,the canal company had the authority to construct 5 resevoirs.

When we last went down Bosley locks in our boat(now sold) in 2014 there were leaks in a number of gates and masonry walls! Nothing has changed.

Thanks Gareth. There is also another feeder to the Macc at Middlewood. The Redacre feeder. BW restored this around 1985/6, however due to mining subsidence when the Macc was at normal levels the feed backed up and overspilt back into Redacre stream. This very short feeder would be the cheapest and easiest to put back in operation,when execess water is available. It only needs the short channel dredging and a layer  of stone to lift the level of the feeder to prevent overflowing. After 54 years of boating and 41 years of canal restoration/working parties I look on the present state of our nationat treasure, our waterways, with dismay. Best wishes David

1 hour ago, david Rushton said:

Thanks Gareth. There is also another feeder to the Macc at Middlewood. The Redacre feeder. BW restored this around 1985/6, however due to mining subsidence when the Macc was at normal levels the feed backed up and overspilt back into Redacre stream. This very short feeder would be the cheapest and easiest to put back in operation,when execess water is available. It only needs the short channel dredging and a layer  of stone to lift the level of the feeder to prevent overflowing. After 54 years of boating and 41 years of canal restoration/working parties I look on the present state of our nationat treasure, our waterways, with dismay. Best wishes David

Thanks for that. I know this length of canal really well but unfortunately I don't know this feeder! Is it possibly the stream that runs under the canal on the bit where cars can drive right next to the canal?

Regarding Rudyard I think it may well also supply the canal, the feeder stream coming in at the top of Bosley locks, next to the services. Never seems to be flowing when I stop there though.

13 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Regarding Rudyard I think it may well also supply the canal, the feeder stream coming in at the top of Bosley locks, next to the services. Never seems to be flowing when I stop there though.

Rudyard feeds the Caldon at the  present end of the Leek arm, thence to the T & M at Etruria. The Bosley feeder comes from the small Bosley reservoir nearby.

1 hour ago, billh said:

Rudyard feeds the Caldon at the  present end of the Leek arm, thence to the T & M at Etruria. The Bosley feeder comes from the small Bosley reservoir nearby.

Interestingly, we were just discussing the feeds to the T&M earlier today as it is not listed on CRT "Reservoir Watch" (presumably because it has no reservoir feeding it directly). So we have feeds via the Macc and Caldon but are there any others? 

23 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Interestingly, we were just discussing the feeds to the T&M earlier today as it is not listed on CRT "Reservoir Watch" (presumably because it has no reservoir feeding it directly). So we have feeds via the Macc and Caldon but are there any others? 

There's a fair amount of water enters the T & M via Harecastle Tunnel, from surface drainage and abandoned mines in the area.

Co-incidentally BBC4 On the telly now: talking about the R Trent, Knypersley Reservoir for the T & M, where does that feed in?

Edited by billh

10 hours ago, b0atman said:

Talking to the locals in the Navi Bugsworth Basin they said CRT have done work on the Blackwater feeder but its isolated ?

There was major work (at a high cost) going on late last year to vastly improve the Blackwater feeder at Bugsworth, shame its not up to the job.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:58, X Alan W said:

Isn't Rudyard lake also a feeder?

There was a WRG weekend in 1996 when we did much clearance on the River Dane feeder into Rudyard Lake which I understood also fed the Macc. Have now been told that I was incorrect but explained to me that the River Dane feeds both Bosley and Rudyard but via different feeders.

9 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

There was a WRG weekend in 1996 when we did much clearance on the River Dane feeder into Rudyard Lake which I understood also fed the Macc. Have now been told that I was incorrect but explained to me that the River Dane feeds both Bosley and Rudyard but via different feeders.

Had a thought in the back of my mind that a delivery of piles & lock furniture in around 67 to Bosley top lock One of the BW guys said thy were dredging the feeder from Rudyard Lake to feed the pound May be I was given "Duff" Info