Anderton marina 7 day cruise, any ideas?

tinkertaylor

Featured Posts

Planned to do the Cheshire ring, even got the book!   Marple Lock 11 closure has completely scuppered  this option. I have considered the Four counties and another trip to Llangollen  but they both seem a bit of a push for 7 days. There's 4 on board and were all able bodied. Is there any other options I'm not aware of?  Normal requirements, pubs and quaint towns, villages or cities.   

18 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Spend some time on the Weaver or sail to Manchester or through to Wigan.

^^ This. A couple days on the Weaver and the rest north and back as time permits. If you're hiring you'll need to check if the hire company allows you on the Weaver; I know one hirer I spoke to the other week there was under the impression they didn't. 

51 minutes ago, tinkertaylor said:

Thanks for the ideas, I will ask at the marina about the Weaver, whats the thoughts on the Caldon canal, now the bridge is fixed? 

The Caldon is very nice; plus you'll get to do lots of locks going that direction.

21 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Or thru Wigan and head towards Liverpool lovely thru parbold poss go up the rufford branch  ? 

Check the stoppages to avoid disappointment. You could get as far as Wigan I think.

5 hours ago, tinkertaylor said:

Thanks for the ideas, I will ask at the marina about the Weaver, whats the thoughts on the Caldon canal, now the bridge is fixed? 

Is it fixed? The CRT blokes we talked to earlier today didn't think so, but when they have staff available they are trying to get boats through in either direction so it might be ok.  The section from Anderton to Harecastle Tunnel, ie most of the way to get to Etruria and join the Caldon, is pretty hard work (it does include Heartbreak Hill after all), low on water (perhaps getting worse - see separate thread) and, if your timings aren't quite right, short on decent mooring places.  Not my favourite canal experience, including this past week.

Safest bet might be to potter about on the lock free Bridgewater where the water levels seem ok.  You could cross the Manchester Ship Canal over the Barton Swing Aqueduct, past Black Delph and on, possibly as far as Wigan, and also to Manchester Castlefield (midweek it should be relatively free from the drink and drug fest that is Friday and Saturday night, but which is still safe enough on the moorings) from whence it's a short walk to the terrific Science and Industry museum.

The Weaver is lovely - it will be quite a relaxed pace if you stay there for the week though. At least if you get stranded by the Anderton Lift breaking down you won't have far to get back to your car! :D

Whatever you decide, have a good one.

I’m surprised no-one has pointed out that the Four Counties and Llangollen options aren’t available to you, because of the breach on the Middlewich Arm.

The Caldon is one of my favourites, and it gets better the further you go.  Lots of locks to get there, so if you want an energetic week this could be a good option.

I’m sure Anderton are fine about their boats going onto the Weaver.  It’s lovely down there, and of course you get the trip down and up the boat lift.  As others have said you could combine this with a trip into Manchester.  There would be lots of lock free miles, so it depends whether your crew are happy to sit and watch the world go by, or whether they’d like more to do.

21 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Check the stoppages to avoid disappointment. You could get as far as Wigan I think.

You can go as far as Maghull and up the Rufford branch if you want. The canal will be closed from Monday from Wigan east towards Leeds but not to the west.