Washing Machine and green detergent.

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Christopher Jones said:

Hello everyone

What is generally considered a good reliable washing machine for a narrow boat and what is a good green eco friendly detergent brand.

Thank you

Chris

Hi

Much depends on what power source you wish to run the machine from such as Travel power, Inverter, stand alone gennie etc etc. I have had several and at present an LG but I have a Travel power that produces fairly acceptable lectric wheras some inverters do not. As for green detergent I certainly cant help you there as we like stuff that works.

2 minutes ago, Christopher Jones said:

Thanks Mrs Melly

would a good generator provide enough power for when you are cruising out and about ?

If its suitably rated (including surge power) and is an inverter generator then probably. If a relatively cheap open frame site generator the wave form may be so rubbish no modern washing machine will run from in. If you can find one with a  clockwork timer then that one may be less fussy about wave form and frequency.

Demands for electricity can be reduced by filling from an adjustable thermostatic mixing valve set to (say) 40C and setting the machine for a cold wash. Its the heater that has the highest electricity demands. The only thing is you will be rinsing in warm water.

We use Bio D washing liquid, which works well. Really really grotty stuff benefits from a soak beforehand. 

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

..... A woman:)

Tsk!!!!! ?

Just now, rusty69 said:

You have spelt Thanks wrong!, its Tks! :)

No I really was right the first time, as I am a woman and always right .......?

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

As for green detergent I certainly cant help you there as we like stuff that works.

And note that, thanks to the EU, detergents sold in the UK may not contain more than 0.4% inorganic phosphates, w/w. (http://www.hse.gov.uk/detergents/) So none of them will overload the waterway with phosphates. You may, of course, wish to go greener than that.

Edited by BruceinSanity
To add link

42 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

And note that, thanks to the EU, detergents sold in the UK may not contain more than 0.4% inorganic phosphates, w/w. (http://www.hse.gov.uk/detergents/) So none of them will overload the waterway with phosphates. You may, of course, wish to go greener than that.

So is it the general opinion that your normal detergents are ok to use then ?

3 minutes ago, Christopher Jones said:

So is it the general opinion that your normal detergents are ok to use then ?

If you want clean clothes then yes. A generator is needed if you have nothing inbuilt as it where. For instance this boat has an inverter of a size and quality to run any washing machine but we also have a Dometic travelpower which produces 3.5 kva whenever the propulsion engine is running, my second boat with one and I would now never have a boat without one. We do live aboard 24/7 365 though. You can have a suitable inverter to run washer with engine running if you feed it with a big enough alternator but then the alternator isn't charging your domestic batteries fully at the same time. With the travelpower all three alternators are doing independent work well. A stand alone ( very expensive ) gennie is good if you have the space but of course you then run two diesel engines independently. There is more than one way to skin a cat and if power is a problem buy a twin tub, it takes more messing about but uses much less power. A million years ago before inverters etc etc we had a twin tub and carried a Honda petrol gennie but its certainly not the best way in 2018.

Zanussi KWC 1300 is 1600w maximum load, mine runs on a 1800w inverter and with the engine running a 90A alternator by the time the wash is finished, the batteries are still fully charged as the heater only runs at the start of the wash and it fills with 40 degree water from a mixing valve. Also I have hot water left too.