Safe place to leave boat Dewsbury/ Wakefield area

nicknorman

Featured Posts

We are going to have to make a trip up to Edinburgh early August and looking for somewhere safe to leave the boat unattended for a couple of days. The nature of the trip is stressful so we don’t want any further stress worrying about the boat. Still unsure if we will get over the Rochdale or not but if we do, it is looking like we’ll be around the Dewsbury or Wakefield areas. So there are moorings at Fall Ings, but presumably no security. How safe are they? Then there is the boatyard up the Dewsbury arm at Savile town - Calder Valley Marine. They seem to do overnight moorings (for a fee, but don’t mind that for peace of mind). Or any other ideas. We might get as far as Stanley Ferry I suppose but it depends on Rochdale delays, and not sure if they have overnight moorings, and also we will be hiring from Enterprise so something not too far out of town is better for “we pick you up”.

Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We are going to have to make a trip up to Edinburgh early August and looking for somewhere safe to leave the boat unattended for a couple of days. The nature of the trip is stressful so we don’t want any further stress worrying about the boat. Still unsure if we will get over the Rochdale or not but if we do, it is looking like we’ll be around the Dewsbury or Wakefield areas. So there are moorings at Fall Ings, but presumably no security. How safe are they? Then there is the boatyard up the Dewsbury arm at Savile town - Calder Valley Marine. They seem to do overnight moorings (for a fee, but don’t mind that for peace of mind). Or any other ideas. We might get as far as Stanley Ferry I suppose but it depends on Rochdale delays, and not sure if they have overnight moorings, and also we will be hiring from Enterprise so something not too far out of town is better for “we pick you up”.

Any thoughts?

I'm never sure about those moorings near Fall Ings, although if you moored as close as possible to the residential moorings you'd have a bit of 'safety in numbers' I guess. We've left the boat in the nice grassy spot just beyond the entrance to the Savile Town Arm with no problems in the past, but it is pretty isolated and cruising 15 minutes up the Arm to the Wharf and paying for piece of mind might make sense. Stanley Ferry would probably be my choice; there are visitor moorings there that are pretty much mixed in with, and so just as secure as, the long-term moorings. Some of them might be 48 or 72 hour though, I think - we left the boat there during the default-to-14-day period last winter and so didn't have to worry about it.

Whilst for many many years I have left without problem boats all over the place without incident I now usualy leave in a marina when unattended. usualy around a tenner a day for peace of mind.............how many thousands is your boat worth?.............how much damage can a scumbag do if they break in?

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Any thoughts?

TBH I wouldn't sleep if I left Midnight at Fall Ings or anywhere in Wakefiled. I can think of three places on the towpath you may wish to consider.

Brighouse basin between the locks - stayed many times and had zero issues

Battyeford cut opposite the boat club - there's rings hidden in the grass outside the house and there's usually someone at the club who will keep an eye open for you, but I've never seen any of the evil types on that side.

Horbury Bridge visitor moorings outside the pub although can't remember if it's 2 days or 3 - local knowledge??

Calder Valley marine at Dewsbury is fine and I believe they let you stay on the vacant pontoons for awhile before charges apply - I've never been charged but only stayed the odd night.

Oh that's 4 places.

Edited to add - if you are an AWCC member you can stay on the Club moorings for 7 nights FOC

Edited by Midnight