Search Improvements

RichM

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that this weekend we are implementing improvements to the search functionality by using ElasticSearch. The search index (database) is currently being rebuilt as part of this but I expect this to complete this evening. 

The search user interface should remain largely unchanged. The changes we've made take place behind the scenes with the goal to provide faster and more relevant search results which hopefully we will see once the search index (database) has fully re-built this evening.

A more technical overview of ElasticSearch (for those who are interested) can be found by clicking here

Comments/feedback welcome.

Thanks all

RichM

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The main question leaping to mind is can we search for three letter terms now?

Works for me though if not for everyone it could be a permission setting. 

Is it possible to give it a go? Alternatively click the link below and it will search for anything about bob

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/search/&q=bob

4 hours ago, RichM said:

Works for me though if not for everyone it could be a permission setting. 

Is it possible to give it a go? Alternatively click the link below and it will search for anything about bob

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/search/&q=bob

Well that's given me a bit of publicity then! I can see a lot of things it missed!

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Well that's given me a bit of publicity then! I can see a lot of things it missed!

Worryingly, a lot of the posts with Bob in are by me (this should make it to the top) 

Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob

ETA . Not sure i understand the date order though! 

ETA 2.How can you see things it missed? 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RichM said:

OK so the search index/database has been fully rebuilt now. 

Please let us know what you think of the search functionality following the changes made behind the scenes.

Cheers

RichM

Many thanks for your hard work in making such a great improvement. The search function will be much more helpful on so many levels, not least of which it will help new members to research their questions at an early stage.

Well done

Howard

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob Bob bob bob

You been out testing that life jacket again?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

What do you call a man with no arm and no legs in a swimming pool...?

Bob ?

Thanks for the feedback all and for the question regarding the poor bloke in a swimming pool.

Now that people have had a few days to make use of the new search changes, we'd be interested to know how you're getting on with it? All feedback appreciated.

Cheers

RichM

On 22/07/2018 at 15:30, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dick!

:giggles:

If I were still a mod I would feel compelled to move that exchange to The Friday Joke.

N

On 22/07/2018 at 15:11, Mike the Boilerman said:

What do you call a man with no arm and no legs in a swimming pool...?

Bob ?

Or the same bloke swimming the channel.

Clever dick.