Maps of waterways - especially by boat length accessibility?

jetzi

Featured Posts

On 22/07/2018 at 18:59, Sea Dog said:

Top idea! Keep up the good work, your efforts are appreciated. I've inputted a couple of bits myself, so I hope you're getting good supporters the community. 

Oh, and weren't Buccaneers awesome? :D.  

I've purchased a copy of Bradshaw's Canals and Navigable Rivers of England and Wales which gives maximum craft dimensions for each waterway listed, hopefully Mr Bradshaw is more accurate than current listings.

I'll gradually update canalmaponline with these dimensions.

Chris

• Happy 1

It is probably not wise for a publisher to list the achievable navigation as in most cases access exceeds the dimensions that the navigation authorities are prepared to endorse or commit to maintaining. Also, getting a max length boat through some locks is not for beginners and, even for experienced boaters, involves considerable care and attention to pass through safely. We did one last year where we knew that if we could not fit then we were in for a lobg detour back the way we had come! We took that risk, not a health and safety one, as we had the time but it would be wrong to encourage, say, a hire boater to try it, or anyone on a fixed schedule. It is one thing to discuss here what one has done, so that others are better informed about what might be possible, but publishing a guide is tantamount to giving professional advice. Get it wrong and the lawyers could be waiting.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

It is probably not wise for a publisher to list the achievable navigation as in most cases access exceeds the dimensions that the navigation authorities are prepared to endorse or commit to maintaining. Also, getting a max length boat through some locks is not for beginners and, even for experienced boaters, involves considerable care and attention to pass through safely. We did one last year where we knew that if we could not fit then we were in for a lobg detour back the way we had come! We took that risk, not a health and safety one, as we had the time but it would be wrong to encourage, say, a hire boater to try it, or anyone on a fixed schedule. It is one thing to discuss here what one has done, so that others are better informed about what might be possible, but publishing a guide is tantamount to giving professional advice. Get it wrong and the lawyers could be waiting.

Which is basically why I decided not to produce a dataset. Also there are only a very small number of these places that they tend to be known about, experienced boaters tend to know about them and how to deal with them but, as you say, it is probably best not to encourage inexperienced boaters to use them. 

It would be sad to deter people from navigating due to a possible tight spot that might be negotiable by a reasonably competent boater. Between the "Yes" and "No" categories there really should be quite a big "probably, with difficulty, boater to decide" region.

As a few examples:

>There are a few threads on this forum about the tight bend on the middle levels limiting boats to 60 foot length, whilst a 70 footer can do it easily, and even if it proves a bit tricky for an inexperienced boater there is no great danger.

>A couple of locks on the Stratford Avon are very tricky for a boat over about 69 foot and involve turning on a flowing river close to a weir above and below the lock. Its possible to get a full length boat through but there is an element of risk.

> The Rochdale 9 is generally regarded as suitable for full length boats but as a lot of water sometimes comes over the gates they can present problems for anything over maybe 65 foot.

.................Dave