Changing Pig Tails

Featured Posts

I have bought some new flexible hoses between my two way splitter and my gas bottle.

Do I need to apply some sealant around the thread where I connect to the splitter? It is a straight thread so I suspect I do.

The gas bottle end has no sealant?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Old Son said:

I have bought some new flexible hoses between my two way splitter and my gas bottle.

Do I need to apply some sealant around the thread where I connect to the splitter? It is a straight thread so I suspect I do.

The gas bottle end has no sealant?

Thanks

Certainly not. There will be neoprene washers held captive in the ends of the tails. Put them on dry.

The threads don't have any sealing function, it is done by the washers. The threads just physically hold the washered joint together. On no account put sealant on the threads. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Certainly not. There will be neoprene washers held captive in the ends of the tails. Put them on dry.

The threads don't have any sealing function, it is done by the washers. The threads just physically hold the washered joint together. On no account put sealant on the threads. 

I am extreeeeeemly pleased you said that ? I changed my gas thingy and pig tail jobbies last week and saw the black rubbery things in and decided they would seal it..............I tested after and no leaks ?

This is a job I need to do before winter rears its ugly head. I know the hoses have time expired, but should the reg. be changed periodically?
Many thanks.

7 minutes ago, catweasel said:

This is a job I need to do before winter rears its ugly head. I know the hoses have time expired, but should the reg. be changed periodically?
Many thanks.

The set I bought last week came with a regulater, isolation switch and two way switch and twin pigtails for £41 including delivery. The paperwork which I of course binned said either five or ten years? :banghead:

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The set I bought last week came with a regulater, isolation switch and two way switch and twin pigtails for £41 including delivery. The paperwork which I of course binned said either five or ten years? :banghead:

Cheers, good price I would say. :)
May I ask as to where one procured same? ;)

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks, I have put my glasses on and found the washers. I've been to B & Q but did not buy sealant!!!

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

Many thanks.

They say regulators should be changed every 10 years but I think it depends on the environment as to whether that is actually necessary.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

They say regulators should be changed every 10 years but I think it depends on the environment as to whether that is actually necessary.

Thanks Nick.