Featured Posts

I am going to by oil for my engine and wondered if anyone can recommend any products? I'll have to go to Halfords later today so if they have any suitable products that would be the easiest.

My engine is a BMC 32 hp diesel. I believe it holds 4,5 liters of oil.

Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to when shopping for oil?

Thanks!

SAE 20W50 or SAE 15E40

API CC, CD or CE but CF in a well run in engine will probably be OK. I have been using CF for years without any noticeable problems.

Don't go to Halfords, be quick (most close at 12 noon on Saturday) and get your stuff from a motor factors car parts shop. They are normally staffed by fairly kn knowledgeable people unlike many at your first choice.

If you by well know brands like Castrol you are paying for the advertising budget. Less known brands like Comma and others often mentioned on here offer better value a song as the SAE and API numbers are correct.

I tend to use Wiko oil to the relevant specs.

• Greenie 1

I have recently used Shell Rimula RT4X engine oil but have also used gearbox oil from Smith and Allan under their own label with no issues.

I don't doubt Halfords oils are good quality.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I've just changed mine with comma classic 20w50. My isuzu engine isn't old but this spec seems to be correct. Same stuff in my PRM gearbox. 

I assume it's ok for diesel engines? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-COMMA-CLASSIC-20W-50-ENGINE-MOTOR-OIL-5-LITRE-TIN-/183270225737

Onlt thing wrong with that one is its maybe about£15 mor expensive than it needs to be for many engines.

Thanks.

I thought comma was a brand you recommend on price and I don't know a cheaper source than ebay? £33 for 10 litres seemed ok to me, but if I'm paying over the odds can you show me a cheaper alternative for future reference please? 

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks.

I thought comma was a brand you recommend on price and I don't know a cheaper source than ebay? £33 for 10 litres seemed ok to me, but if I'm paying over the odds can you show me a cheaper alternative for future reference please? 

I think TB misread the ebay ad. He thought it was £33 for 5 litres.

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

No need to buy expensive stuff.

The cheaper unbranded stuff is made to the same spec(s), so it is the same as the expensively advertised products. Motor factor every time. 

I'll bow to superior knowledge, but does the BMC really only take 4.5 litres? My Beta 43 takes nearly 9. 

If it is a 1.5D and has the standard sump pan its 4.7 litres.

The recommended change intervals was 50 hours with a new oil filter every 100 hours but with modern oils and an engine in reasonable condition 200 hours for both oil and filter changes is manageable.

There is no point in not changing the filter every time the oil is changed.

Edited by Boater Sam

The Chevron stuff I buy IIRC is just over £40 for 25 litres.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

The cheaper unbranded stuff is made to the same spec(s), so it is the same as the expensively advertised products. Motor factor every time. 

I'll bow to superior knowledge, but does the BMC really only take 4.5 litres? My Beta 43 takes nearly 9. 

Yep my Beta 43 also takes that much. It will last longer though although I do mine every 200 hrs. Need to do it in the next few weeks.

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've just changed mine with comma classic 20w50. My isuzu engine isn't old but this spec seems to be correct. Same stuff in my PRM gearbox. 

I assume it's ok for diesel engines? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-COMMA-CLASSIC-20W-50-ENGINE-MOTOR-OIL-5-LITRE-TIN-/183270225737

See that you use engine oil in your PRM. Is it a 120? - if so, I understand PRM have changed their advice and now recommend ATF

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

The Chevron stuff I buy IIRC is just over £40 for 25 litres.

Yep my Beta 43 also takes that much. It will last longer though although I do mine every 200 hrs. Need to do it in the next few weeks.

Beta specify 9l sumps when they order from Kubota - 'cos they know narrowboating folk are rubbish at changing their oil when they should...

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

If it is a 1.5D and has the standard sump pan its 4.7 litres.

The recommended change intervals was 50 hours with a new oil filter every 100 hours but with modern oils and an engine in reasonable condition 200 hours for both oil and filter changes is manageable.

There is no point in not changing the filter every time the oil is changed.

Where does that come from then?

The original manual for the BMC 1.5 and 1.8 diesels says change both oil and filters every 150 hours.

9 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

http://www.nauticus.co.uk/bmc.pdf

Not the official figures, I agree with the "works" manual's figures. Cant remember what Calcutt quoted in their 1.8ds. In the A60 and the J4 van it was every 5000 miles which would be about 150 hours in those far off days.

Calcutt simply pit their own cover around what was otherwise the BMC owners book. It used to be on Calcutt's web-site but they removed it.

I have a copy and it is oil and filter changes at 150 hours.

I would point out that the original Tempest/Newage official BMC 1.5 sumps were cast iron full length things where as the automotive ones tended to hold the oil in just over half the marine sump's length. I think care should be take=n when quoting oil capacities. maybe for the first change get two by 5/4.5 litres and fill  o the dip stick mark and then you will know how much you nee.d

17 hours ago, boots said:

See that you use engine oil in your PRM. Is it a 120? - if so, I understand PRM have changed their advice and now recommend ATF

No its a PRM 150 (hydraulic). They always recommended using the same oil as used in the engine. Has that advice changed? If so why weren't they giving the correct advice originally? 

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

No its a PRM 150 (hydraulic). They always recommended using the same oil as used in the engine. Has that advice changed? If so why weren't they giving the correct advice originally? 

No, the advice for HYDRAULIC boxes has not changed. Its the recommended oil for the smaller mechanical boxes that did change. I understand that ordinary engine oil in the mechanical boxes turned out to cause a clutch problem in some cases and ATF was felt would lessen the risk.

Is it me or have I got it wrong I was always under the impression that most marine GB's were mechanical but some have oil operated F&R engagement? I always understood most have clutches/comes type drive parts & oil pressure & single lever does the job of a big lumpy lever & brute force