12.6 wide down the GU

Lumisid

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Lumisid-once you have got the hang of handling your boat you will find its actually great fun messing about with a fatty. I recently came across the L&L,Trent,Soar(in a 12.8) and some of that isnt as wide as the GU is in alot of places-thoroughly enjoyed myself (when I wasnt aground)☺

In the real world you wont come across so many antis.I had some great laughs and banter with fellow (cheerful) boaters while we were busy dodging each other..

Yes, this is what I’m hoping

10 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Lumisid-once you have got the hang of handling your boat you will find its actually great fun messing about with a fatty. I recently came across the L&L,Trent,Soar(in a 12.8) and some of that isnt as wide as the GU is in alot of places-thoroughly enjoyed myself (when I wasnt aground)☺

In the real world you wont come across so many antis.I had some great laughs and banter with fellow (cheerful) boaters while we were busy dodging each other..

Absolutely agree, we cruised the Kennet and Avon, pinged through Newbury, Woolhampton and Reading on amber boards, the Thames on amber again and on to the Grand Union, and had a great time. The boat was superb on the rivers, kind of myth busts that fattys don't and can't move! ?

13 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I have no problem with fat boats on fat canals/rivers.  Any problems are more to do with lack of maintenance which, as the owner of an historic narrowboat, I suffer in other directions.

I do have a problem with fat boats sneaking onto narrow canals and then forcing other boats out of the channel and into the trees etc.

I have been fortunate so far in that I have not met a fat boat moving in those circumstances.  Should that happen, if circumstances demand it, I will be pulling into the towpath for lunch and allow the fat boat the pleasure of scraping through the mud and trees.

George

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

13 hours ago, Athy said:

With a name like that, you would say that, wouldn't you? Don't worry, they're unlikely to reach the area where you moor (assuming that you are the Sideways Boat Of Cropredy).

The answer is probably, people who appreciate the extra interior space which such craft offer. Our boat is a narrowboat but, having often hire boats about 11' wide on French waterways, I can see the appeal.

unfortunately I'm no longer the 'Sideways Boat Of Cropredy' :mellow: CRT's failure to maintain the level in the pound over the last 3 years or so (nothing to do with the present dry weather) has forced me to move to a soulless boat park.

Frank aka Slim

As stated mind yer cabin sides at Blue Lias bridge.

I presume you book tunnel times?

I got half way through Blisworth on 12’6” a long time ago only to see boat enter towards me. The BW chap who was supposed to guard the entrance was blissfully strimming away the bank with ear defenders on. Yes that’s how along ago it was - BW lads clearing the towpath.

Take yer time - don’t be doing stupid speeds and you’ll be fine!

If you do notice a narrow boat following behind you,have the good grace to pull over to the bank when it is appropriate and let the craft behind pass....that will build good relations with other users.? 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

If you do notice a narrow boat following behind you,have the good grace to pull over to the bank when it is appropriate and let the craft behind pass....that will build good relations with other users.? 

That would be good advice for narrowboats as well as widebeams.  It's staggering how many boaters never look behind when cruising.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That would be good advice for narrowboats as well as widebeams.  It's staggering how many boaters never look behind when cruising.

Yes I agree,it really is just a matter of good manners whatever size your beam may be.

On 23/07/2018 at 12:41, Quaffer said:

Yes I agree,it really is just a matter of good manners whatever size your beam may be.

Presently outfor the summer wearinv my Victor Melrose hat.

I'm amazed at the general lack of consideration shown by some!

In the last few days I've had / seen the followinģ:-

Someone, a broadbeam, wind, with no notice or indication, immediatly in front of me.

At the bottom of the Leicester Arm, a boat moored on the water point unattended and very obviously long term.

Someone 'proceeding' at about .5 mph for well over a mile. With someone up my stern a polite, short, toot resulted in a complete stop in a bridge hole. A somewhat more aggressive use of the horn resulted in a string of invective I've not heard in years.

Today, just before the Crick tunnel a plastic cruiser moored slap bang in the winding hole.Had I wanted to turnit would have been very difficult

Rant over

On 23/07/2018 at 12:32, TheBiscuits said:

Its more staggering how many obstructive and awkward old goats creeping along DO look behind yet refuse to go faster or pull over. 

• Greenie 1

On 21/07/2018 at 09:52, alan_fincher said:

As I said in a recent post, Mike, it is a very different situation now from when you were on the GU.

There have to be at least ten times the number of wide-beam boats now, probably more than that.

I'd also suggest that when you were doing it those that did exist generally neither moved very far or very often.

Back then I was relaxed on the topic - I now no longer am.

Mmm... It seems that people on widebeams get criticised when they don't move very far or very often, or conversely when they do! So they can't really win.

I think you're guilty of scapegoating Alan. There are lots more boats of all types of these days including narrowboats which all add to the congestion, and you're a part of that too. Just because some of us were on the canal decades ago doesn't mean that we should only blame new boaters or people on bigger boats for the increased congestion. It's the same on the roads - we're not in a traffic jam, we are the traffic jam, and personally I don't really care if you want to get worked up about sharing the waterways. I'm afraid in life nothing stays the same, things are changing and you're just going to have to get used to it. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Someone, a broadbeam, wind, with no notice or indication, immediatly in front of me.

Wide beams do this, they have no instruction book with their RCD

1 hour ago, Slim said:

At the bottom of the Leicester Arm, a boat moored on the water point unattended and very obviously long term.

Where is the Leicester Arm??Do you mean at Norton Junction,  untie them or moor alongside 

Someone 'proceeding' at about .5 mph for well over a mile. With someone up my stern a polite, short, toot resulted in a complete stop in a bridge hole. A somewhat more aggressive use of the horn resulted in a string of invective I've not heard in years.

Today, just before the Crick tunnel a plastic cruiser moored slap bang in the winding hole.Had I wanted to turnit would have been very difficult

Crush it. 

• Greenie 1

On 21/07/2018 at 07:13, Athy said:

With a name like that, you would say that, wouldn't you? Don't worry, they're unlikely to reach the area where you moor (assuming that you are the Sideways Boat Of Cropredy).

The answer is probably, people who appreciate the extra interior space which such craft offer. Our boat is a narrowboat but, having often hire boats about 11' wide on French waterways, I can see the appeal.

French waterways were ,of course ,Deigned for Phat Boats , many UK ones were not.

• Greenie 1