Painting around portholes

Featured Posts

My cabin sides, following weeks of prep, are now ready for the top coat. I'm going to use Crown Solo in Royal Gala Green. I'm happy with my painting technique, using a brush. I've already done the rear panels in red and achieved a very nice finish. I have a porthole along the side which is going to disrupt my technique which basically involves brushing the paint on horizontally then going over it vertically, then very light horizontal strokes to finish.

Any tips how I can adapt my technique to allow for the round porthole? 

I looked at removing it but it isn't going to happen! It looks like the previous owner had a go at this as the rivets are missing, the holes filled with sealant and the porthole is a little bent presumably because of the use of a screwdriver or similar as a lever! I know that it would be better to remove it but I'm looking to do the best I can with it in place. When rust bubbles up in a couple of years I can do a local repair, I'm happy with that. 

Beware of teardrops at the bottom of the porthole if you paint around it. Be ready to brush them out as they form. Good luck, I’d persevere with getting the porthole off, it sounds as if there are already issues that need to be resolved. All of the professional painters I work with insist on removing ports and windows. Good luck.

Probably porthole has been sealed with sealant rather than the tape type stuff. Works like glue. Often a paint scraper at various points will eventually loosen it. Good luck.

13 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Probably porthole has been sealed with sealant rather than the tape type stuff. Works like glue. Often a paint scraper at various points will eventually loosen it. Good luck.

I’ve had mixed success with Screwfix Sealant Remover. It turns silicone into a sort of jelly. But then if it’s a non-silicone sealant then maybe it wouldn’t touch it. 

I can't remove mine either, mahogany.

I paint round them carefully the day before doing the whole panel, then its easier to get a finish on the last coat.

Roller on and laying off vertically with a "dry" brush lightly dipped in thinners gives the best finish I find.

50 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I can't remove mine either, mahogany.

I paint round them carefully the day before doing the whole panel, then its easier to get a finish on the last coat.

Roller on and laying off vertically with a "dry" brush lightly dipped in thinners gives the best finish I find.

Thanks so just a small strip round them the day before, what, an inch or so?

Just brush painted around my 4 portholes, the last one was the best,

I learned the following,

.Just put little bits of paint on the brush at a time,

Just paint the bits you can see ( ie just because you've got paint left on your brush and you want to go further round the circle, DON'T DO IT, you get to the point where you can't see where your brush goes because it disappears under your hand and you hope you haven't got paint on the brass.

Try to do the circle in 3 or 4 sections, 

Use the best brush you have with no little quiff of hair sticking out that cause you to put paint where you don't want it.

A very steady hand is needed. Good luck,

Above all Don't put too much paint on your brush.

Edited by Karen Lea Rainey