water pump being weird

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But seriously, my post was 51 then you answered, and YOUR post was also 51 on my screen. Now your same post has changed to 53.

And I have the screenshots to prove it!

Its a nice sunny day. We need to get out more, but i take your point. 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looks like the lovely Dora is too, given her lack of comment on this fascinating anomaly.

Must be out exploring. Too hot out there today. 3 hours of boating was plenty. Now time to watch the F1 qually.

Sorry for my lack of comments.  Thank you Sweetums for calling me lovely.  I've been busy with something else.

Latest news.  I now have a basic bike pump, but no pressure gauge.  I'm a long way from shops.  I found a shop which sold a pump with a gauge in it for £40 but I'm not paying that.  I bought a £2 pump.  I tried the thing with the taps and the pump turned on and off instantly when the taps were on or off.  So then I wriggled in behind the cauliflower as far as a I could and fixed the pump onto the football thingy.  A bit of water came out, is that normall?  I pumped the pump a bit to see what would happen and water came out of my tap by magic but not very strongly.  So I closed the tap and gave it 5 or 6 good pumps.  Then took the pump off.  The result is that my pump doesnt keep coming on every few minutes!!!  Hooray!  When I run the hot tap is comes on pretty strongly and runs the pump keeps going a bit after the tap is turned off.  But with the cold tap it's instant.

Now reading more of this thread I reckon I've pumped up the hot water expansion vessel??  Is that good or bad?  I mean, I've fixed the problem but is it going to explode now or something?  Do I even have a cold water accumulator?  How would I know?  I think I need to start searching again!!

NO, water should not come out of the air valve. Me thinks you have a split diaphragm so probably needs a new thingy. Why thingy?

I am still far from convinced, given its position that your  thing is in I, like you now suspect, think its an expansion vessel. The accumulator will look similar but be located elsewhere. 

As long as the thingy is mounted vertically the bubble of air you put in  the top will be fine for as whole but may gradually disperse in the water so you will need to pump it up again.

Expansion vessels need to be set at about pump cut out pressure while accumulators need to be set at about pump cut in pressure OR about half the pump cut out pressure.

The expansion vessel and the accumulator can be the same thing AS LONG as there is no non-return valve between hot and cold system. In that acse it needs setting as for an accumulator or perhaps a little more but well under cut out pressure.

Sorry, not a lot of help if you don't know where things are or can recognise a NRV.

Nothing will explode, its fine for now but we need to know if it has an NRV or an accumulator.

As said above accumulators are often in the vicinity of the water pump  or under the galley sink. Would you feel comfortable about giving a very general location so any knowledgeable members who are near can contact you to offer to help you look? Regrettably unless you are on the Thames or eastern K&A I cant help and we won't be back to the south Midlands until next month.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Thank you Sweetums for calling me lovely. 

Blimey have I pulled??!!

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I mean, I've fixed the problem but is it going to explode now or something?

No it won't explode. Well not much anyway. But even though you have fixed it, you've only fixed it ever so slightly. I outlined the process to do it properly in post 39. 

OK peeps so I've continued to explore parts of my boats which I've thus far avoided.  I found another football thingy and it's near to the pump!!  I am confident it's the accumulator.  Right? 

So one is for hot water and one is for cold water?

Anyway, I've given that a bit of a pump (not too much) and that seemed to enjoy the attention too.  I hope it was worth it as it was very hot and stuffy and a bit grubby in there.  Now, when I turn the pump off, the hot AND cold taps run for a bit?  I presume this is a 'good thing'?

I'm quite pleased with myself, and have noted that I need to buy a gauge tomorrow.  I'll have a think where I can get one.  One concerning thing is that my cold water came out brown for a few seconds just now.  But it's clear again now so I'll try not to think about that.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Who is she?

She?  You're thinking of Hela - Goddess of Death!

image.png.9c6ed20adafd3b4113e6eee978328136.png

This is Chris Hemsworth.?

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Now, when I turn the pump off, the hot AND cold taps run for a bit?  I presume this is a 'good thing'?

Yes well done, this IS a GOOD THING!

Now do it a bit more. Turn the pump OFF, turn a hot tap ON. Now pump the freshly discovered expansion vessel until the water STOPS coming from the hot tap as you pump. That will do nicely until you get a pressure gauge. 

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

She?  You're thinking of Hela - Goddess of Death!

OMG you're a SCORPIO. Kills her male after mating?

Run away!!!!

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes well done, this IS a GOOD THING!

Now do it a bit more. Turn the pump OFF, turn a hot tap ON. Now pump the freshly discovered expansion vessel until the water STOPS coming from the hot tap as you pump. That will do nicely until you get a pressure gauge. 

But that means spending another hour moving everything out the way to get to it again.  I don't think I can handle that.  Can it wait until tomorrow?  Will my boat explode if I don't?