Diesel on the T&M and Staffs & Worcs

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

You could report them to HMRC - but I don't suppose they'll be very interested. Of course you wouldn't be welcome there in the future.

OTOH it could be because they got hassle on their last inspection - Too many folks declaring 0%??

Does anyone know whether what used to be Teddesley Boat Company still sell diesel?

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

So you have to negotiate with them as opposed to declare? They have a say, like they're involved in your diesel use beyond supplying it? How bizarre!

"I have diesel central heating, so I raise my domestic portion by 20%."

"It's been a mild spring, so I'll only allow you 10%."

"But my wife likes a warm bathroom! Please, I beg you!"

"Ok, I'll allow you 15%, but only if you buy something from the shop."

"Done. I'll have two extra bags of Taybrite and leave the bathroom door open."

(Thanks for the tip, Tuscan)

I think the 'ratio' is a matter for the boater to 'state'. Not something to be negotiated with the supplier. The supplier has no idea what you ratio is and will have to take your word for it.

Behind the scenes I guess, the data from the sales forms the supplier has to keep and you sign. Are sent to HMRC as part of the VAT returns - where it is all typed/scanned into a database - where in due course a global pattern will emerge - and those claiming 0% will be picked out and get a visit from the Vat man (years later probably - he will wait until a big bill is clocked up) then to collect this back tax, where to avoid paying it, you will have to prove your claim to an independent 'marine expert' examining your boat.

And if there is wide-scale abuse, they won't bother with individuals - just use it as evidence to justify complete removal of the concession for all boaters.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

You could report them to HMRC - but I don't suppose they'll be very interested. Of course you wouldn't be welcome there in the future.

OTOH it could be because they got hassle on their last inspection - Too many folks declaring 0%??

Does anyone know whether what used to be Teddesley Boat Company still sell diesel?

When did any of them get inspected? I hear that HMRC couldn't care less about declarations. The never wanted to have to organise the system for part declarations anyway.

1 hour ago, howardang said:

It's a shame, and quite surprising, to read your comments about Great Haywood marina. We spent three years moored there and found the marina staff very helpful and friendly and Great Haywood certainly is at the top end of our list of favourite marinas. We always make a point of dropping in there if passing by and we are always made very welcome.  

Howard

That is what I find, staff helpful and I've not had problems getting on and off the service point.  The breeze can provide a challenge sometimes but normally a line round the bollard and use of the engine gets the boat on or off the wharf.

There is limited space though, especially if the moorings by the workshop are in use.

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Actually the guys at Gailey were very helpful , happy to fuel up despite hireboats going out. Easy negotiation to get two invoices one just for domestic and one with a very reasonable split. We stopped to top up on the return journey as well.

Edited by Tuscan

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

That is what I find, staff helpful and I've not had problems getting on and off the service point.  The breeze can provide a challenge sometimes but normally a line round the bollard and use of the engine gets the boat on or off the wharf.

There is limited space though, especially if the moorings by the workshop are in use.

Of course it is perfectly possible to get on and off the Services pontoon, but as I said it’s badly designed, especially compared say to Aston which is more like a “drive through”.

Any marina has good and bad reports, but it seems to me that GH has more than its fair share of bad ones.

Edited by nicknorman

10 hours ago, frangar said:

We once enquired about using the laundry there...after it was listed in the ACS laundrette list...they were most off hand and said for moorers only etc....think our phone call disturbed tea drinking....as we probably would have got diesel, gas etc at the same time they lost out....I'm amazed that a lot of marinas seem to treat visiting customers as a nuisance.....but you never know where that might lead....I know one boater that was told a pump out was too much effort....he was also going to enquire about them building his new boat too...he went elsewhere....

Quite possible a useful tactic to recommend to anyone think of going to a marina for a boat build. Check out how they perform on a mundane task - gives a good guide to how they view detail, does it matter? Not to say that they know about the big picture but a lot about a boat build is in the detailing.

Marinas are sitting pretty at the moment with all the rich newbys leaving their boats in marinas for the couple of weeks that they use it in a year so not a lot of boater interface required.

14 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Of course it is perfectly possible to get on and off the Services pontoon, but as I said it’s badly designed, especially compared say to Aston which is more like a “drive through”.

Any marina has good and bad reports, but it seems to me that GH has more than its fair share of bad ones.

It's funny how one person's well designed is another's poorly designed.  Some of my extended family moored their share boat at Aston, as the design of the fuel and pump out point drove them mad.  For a start, if there's a boat on the service point it pretty much blocks the whole marina; and the one way system meant that at the end of a holiday, they'd go in, fuel up, then have to go out the exit and back in the entrance to get to their berth.  Their syndicate moved the boat to somewhere else.

20 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

When did any of them get inspected? I hear that HMRC couldn't care less about declarations. The never wanted to have to organise the system for part declarations anyway.

From conversations I've had when buying diesel it seems that HMRC are more concerned that suppliers are keeping records rather than doing anything with them.

16 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Two boats on the GH service point this morning before 8:30 and office opened early to service them as one was having a pump out by 8:45.

I’m quite sure that they do service the odd boat! Maybe by pre-arrangement? Which is too much hassle for passing trade. Clearly you like them. But equally I can only say as I find which was a complete failure in 2 visits out of 2. I can’t really see why a random visit by a passing boater not in the local clique would be any different to our experience.

6 hours ago, adam1uk said:

It's funny how one person's well designed is another's poorly designed.  Some of my extended family moored their share boat at Aston, as the design of the fuel and pump out point drove them mad.  For a start, if there's a boat on the service point it pretty much blocks the whole marina; and the one way system meant that at the end of a holiday, they'd go in, fuel up, then have to go out the exit and back in the entrance to get to their berth.  Their syndicate moved the boat to somewhere else.

When on the fuel station, there is still room for another boat to pass. As to the one way system well perhaps that might be a pain for residents (though I can’t really see that having to go out and come back in again is a huge hassle) but for passing trade it is a non-issue.

Edited by nicknorman

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

From conversations I've had when buying diesel it seems that HMRC are more concerned that suppliers are keeping records rather than doing anything with them.

The whole scheme was foisted upon us by the EU in general and at the insistence of a Belgian MEP who didn't want UK boats using fuel at cheaper prices than his constituents.

Perhaps if / when we leave the EU we'll get 'our' Red prices back. It raises the square root of didly squat  in taxes and C&E would rather get rid.

One can wish....

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

It raises the square root of didly squat  in taxes and C&E would rather get rid.

Ya think?  Having the paltry few remaining Royal Navy warships account for vat on bar sales when inside the 12 mile limit when they're exempt outside it raises diddly squat too and is a right pain, but it still has to be done. 

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ya think?  Having the paltry few remaining Royal Navy warships account for vat on bar sales when inside the 12 mile limit when they're exempt outside it raises diddly squat too and is a right pain, but it still has to be done. 

Heavens - how did (we) - you get from fuel duty for inland boating and the White Funnel Line's vat on mess drinking - you forgot the duty on the booze as well?

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Heavens - how did (we) - you get from fuel duty for inland boating and the White Funnel Line's vat on mess drinking - you forgot the duty on the booze as well?

We didn't - we got there from where to buy fuel on the T&M, via what a shower Great Haywood Marina are!

(Actually, both the duty and the vat are issues for the Grey Funnel Line, but the vat seems even more petty than the red diesel issue and was an illustration of why I think we shouldn't get excited that Brexit might bring back simple red diesel)

Just to update this thread, I fuelled today from Fuel Boat Halsall, currently 87p per litre base price.  There are cheaper places, but if we don't support fuel boats...

Incidentally, I also provided an update to diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk website.  For those unaware, this is a spreadsheet showing fuel, pumpout and gas prices around the canal network, and I commend you to it.  It's only as good as the info we provide so I urge others to provide updates of prices (by email - address is on the site) whenever they use such facilities. :)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just to update this thread, I fuelled today from Fuel Boat Halsall, currently 87p per litre base price.  There are cheaper places, but if we don't support fuel boats...

Incidentally, I also provided an update to diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk website.  For those unaware, this is a spreadsheet showing fuel, pumpout and gas prices around the canal network, and I commend you to it.  It's only as good as the info we provide so I urge others to provide updates of prices (by email - address is on the site) whenever they use such facilities. :)

Yes, please do as above suggestion - It's with good input that those who are kind enough to run such services are encouraged to continue.

Now - I ask again - does anyone know whether diesel is available at park Gate lock on the S and W where Teddesley Boat Co used to be? (Now Bourne boat builders)

On 21/07/2018 at 09:43, OldGoat said:

The whole scheme was foisted upon us by the EU in general and at the insistence of a Belgian MEP who didn't want UK boats using fuel at cheaper prices than his constituents.

Perhaps if / when we leave the EU we'll get 'our' Red prices back. It raises the square root of didly squat  in taxes and C&E would rather get rid.

One can wish....

My understanding is that it was motivated by truck companies who complained about unfair competition from the large barges that operate on the continent. At least that argument will barely fly here post Brexit.  There has to be at least one plus to come out of the sorry fiasco but I'd not bet on anyone getting even that bit right.

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Halsall’s base rate is currently 79ppl not 87ppl