Diesel on the T&M and Staffs & Worcs

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

Heading south from Anderton,  may turn right at Great Haywood or might continue on. I'm going to take on fuel, potentially the better part of 200 litres, so I could do with choosing the right supplier.  Any recommendations please?

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Longport Wharf

Can't find them in the diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk spreadsheet - do you know their (reasonably) up to date pricing?

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If you carry straight on at Great Haywood you could try NB Dexta at Taft Bridge.

Are they still cash only?  

Thanks for the speedy response guys! :)

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Can't find them in the diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk spreadsheet - do you know their (reasonably) up to date pricing?

Are they still cash only?  

Thanks for the speedy response guys! :)

Yes, Taft Bridge is still cash only.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Yes, Taft Bridge is still cash only.

That'd have to be a splash and dash rather than a full tank then! :D  

(There can't surely be many carrying large wads of cash in boats, can there? Maybe best not to answer that!)

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Try getting hold of fuel boat Halsall ( 4 counties fuel), they are on Facebook and cover most of your journey. 

Thanks Matty - the missus does Facebook - I'll ask.

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

If you go on the staffs & worcs then consider a nip up the shroppie to Turners at Wheaton Aston.....filled up today at 68.9p/litre....and any declaration you wish.

Thank you - it might be worth the round trip just to fill up at the famous Turners!

My favourite fuel stop is Hawne Basin, but it's quite a detour this time around.

We’ve found Aston marina (just south of Stone) surprisingly cheap for a “posh” marina, but it’s been a couple of years since we got fuel there. Worth a phonecall to ask. Don’t go into Gt Haywood marina, it’s a terrible place!

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

We’ve found Aston marina (just south of Stone) surprisingly cheap for a “posh” marina, but it’s been a couple of years since we got fuel there. Worth a phonecall to ask. Don’t go into Gt Haywood marina, it’s a terrible place!

What's wrong with Gt Haywood Marina...? We find it a good place to moor.

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Thanks Nick. Saw them on diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk but they haven't been updated since May 15 when they were 70p so probably still quite competitive.  Good resource that, but only when it's updated by us I guess - and it's not the catchiest Web address! 

6 minutes ago, b0atman said:

FB Halsall was out being blacked.

Thanks - as far as I can tell she's still down on the Weaver following that.

16 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

75 at Gailey recently but negotiate declaration before you start.

So you have to negotiate with them as opposed to declare? They have a say, like they're involved in your diesel use beyond supplying it? How bizarre!

"I have diesel central heating, so I raise my domestic portion by 20%."

"It's been a mild spring, so I'll only allow you 10%."

"But my wife likes a warm bathroom! Please, I beg you!"

"Ok, I'll allow you 15%, but only if you buy something from the shop."

"Done. I'll have two extra bags of Taybrite and leave the bathroom door open."

(Thanks for the tip, Tuscan)

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

What's wrong with Gt Haywood Marina...? We find it a good place to moor.

We have visited twice. Once to look at buying a boat. We were made to feel fairly unwelcome, having arrived by boat they made a fuss about where we could moor even though no-one was on or wanting the service area pontoon (which is badly designed in terms of getting on and off it). In the end we were grudgingly allowed. But we then waited around for 30 mins to see someone about a boat, no-one was interested in us so eventually we left not having seen the boat. We just felt a generally hostile atmosphere as if we, the customer, were a nuisance.

Then a couple of weeks ago we foolishly stopped by to get a new Nicholson’s book 5. Mid week, high season. Doors were locked and lights out with a sign on the door saying closed for lunch 13:00 to 14:00 but it was only 12:50. If you are going to advertise times of opening you should stick to them. Again, gives an impression of not valuing customers. Two strikes out of two visits and you’re out as far as I’m concerned.

• Greenie 1

In reply to Nicknorman too many marinas have a problem with customer relations .I used to have a shop and every customer was a source of money for me so i treat everyone with respect and reaped the profits.

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We have visited twice. Once to look at buying a boat. We were made to feel fairly unwelcome, having arrived by boat they made a fuss about where we could moor even though no-one was on or wanting the service area pontoon (which is badly designed in terms of getting on and off it). In the end we were grudgingly allowed. But we then waited around for 30 mins to see someone about a boat, no-one was interested in us so eventually we left not having seen the boat. We just felt a generally hostile atmosphere as if we, the customer, were a nuisance.

Then a couple of weeks ago we foolishly stopped by to get a new Nicholson’s book 5. Mid week, high season. Doors were locked and lights out with a sign on the door saying closed for lunch 13:00 to 14:00 but it was only 12:50. If you are going to advertise times of opening you should stick to them. Again, gives an impression of not valuing customers. Two strikes out of two visits and you’re out as far as I’m concerned.

We once enquired about using the laundry there...after it was listed in the ACS laundrette list...they were most off hand and said for moorers only etc....think our phone call disturbed tea drinking....as we probably would have got diesel, gas etc at the same time they lost out....I'm amazed that a lot of marinas seem to treat visiting customers as a nuisance.....but you never know where that might lead....I know one boater that was told a pump out was too much effort....he was also going to enquire about them building his new boat too...he went elsewhere....

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

So you have to negotiate with them as opposed to declare? They have a say, like they're involved in your diesel use beyond supplying it? How bizarre!

"I have diesel central heating, so I raise my domestic portion by 20%."

"It's been a mild spring, so I'll only allow you 10%."

"But my wife likes a warm bathroom! Please, I beg you!"

"Ok, I'll allow you 15%, but only if you buy something from the shop."

"Done. I'll have two extra bags of Taybrite and leave the bathroom door open."

(Thanks for the tip, Tuscan)

You could report them to HMRC - but I don't suppose they'll be very interested. Of course you wouldn't be welcome there in the future.

OTOH it could be because they got hassle on their last inspection - Too many folks declaring 0%??

Does anyone know whether what used to be Teddesley Boat Company still sell diesel?

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

We moor at Aston and it's well known for being very competitive on diesel, the last time I checked it was 10p a litre cheaper than Stone Boat Building.  It's the policy of the marina to cover the cost of supplying fuel, I suspect because they want to encourage visitors and also because there are quite a lot of vacant berths.  I don't know if I would describe it as "posh", but it is certainly very well managed.  

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

It's a shame, and quite surprising, to read your comments about Great Haywood marina. We spent three years moored there and found the marina staff very helpful and friendly and Great Haywood certainly is at the top end of our list of favourite marinas. We always make a point of dropping in there if passing by and we are always made very welcome.  

Howard

1 hour ago, b0atman said:

In reply to Nicknorman too many marinas have a problem with customer relations .I used to have a shop and every customer was a source of money for me so i treat everyone with respect and reaped the profits.

We called into the chandlers in Stone, there were 3 staff chatting at the counter, no customers at all.

We wanted a Beta part and were happy foe them to order it or for me to order it giving their address for delivery. They were completely uninterested, seemed upset to have their chat disrupted.