What is the Rochdale actually like?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Bare Arts rarely open back in May and definitely for sale.. For some weird reason the owner is moving to Lancashire/ The Polished Knob can be good, music on Monday afternoon and full of pensioners. Good selection of cheap beers. When in Hebden try the Fox and Goose.

Shire cruisers in Sowerby do pump outs.

Stalybridge mooring is fine just a bit out of town by the wooden boatyard, otherwise it can get a bit Stalybridgey. We made the mistake of mooring opposite the chinese restaurant. Many many drunken people curious about boat

17 minutes ago, oarfish said:

Stalybridge mooring is fine just a bit out of town by the wooden boatyard, otherwise it can get a bit Stalybridgey. We made the mistake of mooring opposite the chinese restaurant. Many many drunken people curious about boat

Yes I think it would better below the lock. But it does look a bit abandoned and post-apocalyptic:

4A9E0F47-10B4-4643-8789-484AC1506466.jpeg.cf9ad776e78c17bb16843118354b4746.jpeg

Just the weediness perhaps, but first impressions etc.

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Moored a couple of times by scout tunnel and that was fine. Very rural actually

Yes we moored below Scout tunnel, one of the few places you can get right into the side! As you say, a little rural corridor!

18 hours ago, oarfish said:

We used the moorings next to Phoenix City (food OK but a bit like a warehouse with tables) not opposite, no problems at all. Very nice beers in the friendly Bridge Beers micropub, only snag was he closed early (7pm?) and isn't open every day. So we were forced to buy a box of bottles to take back to the boat (as reserve for when the polypins ran out)...

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Yes we moored below Scout tunnel, one of the few places you can get right into the side! As you say, a little rural corridor!

The odd thing about this is that the non-locals see the centre of Stalybridge as threatening and wouldn't moor there (Opposite Tesco is absolutely fine), but then moor further up, and regard it as a rural oasis.

As a local, I wouldn't moor for the night between the WCBS yard and Scout Tunnel.

The canal for this stretch is accompanied by what is known locally as "the yellow brick road" (actually an embankment that used to carry the Millbrook Loop Line), which is something of a magnet for ne'r-do-wells from Copley, Carrbrook and Brushes.

28 minutes ago, mayalld said:

The odd thing about this is that the non-locals see the centre of Stalybridge as threatening and wouldn't moor there (Opposite Tesco is absolutely fine), but then moor further up, and regard it as a rural oasis.

As a local, I wouldn't moor for the night between the WCBS yard and Scout Tunnel.

The canal for this stretch is accompanied by what is known locally as "the yellow brick road" (actually an embankment that used to carry the Millbrook Loop Line), which is something of a magnet for ne'r-do-wells from Copley, Carrbrook and Brushes.

Yes i appeciate that you are not far from grot there! It’s not that Stalybridge centre is threatening, it’s just that it is ugly urban (weedy) concrete as opposed to (the illusion of) pleasant countryside.

34 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes i appeciate that you are not far from grot there! It’s not that Stalybridge centre is threatening, it’s just that it is ugly urban (weedy) concrete as opposed to (the illusion of) pleasant countryside.

I can't argue that (as with so many other places), the theory of the landscaping and the reality don't match.

Just to set the record straight, I left Stalybridge in 1978!

I live on the outskirts of Hyde these days in Newton.

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:03, IanD said:

We used the moorings next to Phoenix City (food OK but a bit like a warehouse with tables) not opposite, no problems at all. Very nice beers in the friendly Bridge Beers micropub, only snag was he closed early (7pm?) and isn't open every day. So we were forced to buy a box of bottles to take back to the boat (as reserve for when the polypins ran out)...

There is now another microbar five doors down from Bridge Beers which is open until 23:00 for after Dave closes

Day before yesterday I helped one of our team of boats from Littleborough down through Rochdale. Its good to visit a canal for the second time. Rochdale is just not that bad so not sure where the really bad reputation comes from. Most is just typical green urban canal. There is a bit too much rubbish in it but its not dreadful. Obvious signs of drinking at one of the locks (a lot of empty tins and other rubbish) so can see there is a bit of potential for trouble.

Yesterday walked from Todmorden to Hebden bridge and reckon this is probably the best stretch of canal that I have ever walked. I hope the plan to upgrade it to a cycle path does not ruin it, it has some rather lovely cobble stone overflows that the high speed cyclists will surely want destroying. Today got permission from CaRT to boat down to Hebden Bridge on Monday, then went walking in the hills overlooking the town and canal. Rochdale Canal is even better than the lovely K&A.

...............Dave

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, dmr said:

Day before yesterday I helped one of our team of boats from Littleborough down through Rochdale. Its good to visit a canal for the second time. Rochdale is just not that bad so not sure where the really bad reputation comes from. Most is just typical green urban canal. There is a bit too much rubbish in it but its not dreadful. Obvious signs of drinking at one of the locks (a lot of empty tins and other rubbish) so can see there is a bit of potential for trouble.

Yesterday walked from Todmorden to Hebden bridge and reckon this is probably the best stretch of canal that I have ever walked. I hope the plan to upgrade it to a cycle path does not ruin it, it has some rather lovely cobble stone overflows that the high speed cyclists will surely want destroying. Today got permission from CaRT to boat down to Hebden Bridge on Monday, then went walking in the hills overlooking the town and canal. Rochdale Canal is even better than the lovely K&A.

...............Dave

Will you hush up. You'll have hordes of southern cmers coming to clutter up our lovely canal. There are wolves in the woods and great white sharks in the cut. The bottoms near the top and the sides are meeting in the middle. Worst of all, starting 50m east of my mooring, its infested with Yorkshiremen. Apart from that it's great. 

4 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Will you hush up. You'll have hordes of southern cmers coming to clutter up our lovely canal. There are wolves in the woods and great white sharks in the cut. The bottoms near the top and the sides are meeting in the middle. Worst of all, starting 50m east of my mooring, its infested with Yorkshiremen.

Is that list of horrors in ascending order or descending?  I can't work out if southern cmers and wolves are better or worse than collapsing canals and Yorkshiremen. 

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Is that list of horrors in ascending order or descending?  I can't work out if southern cmers and wolves are better or worse than collapsing canals and Yorkshiremen. 

Ascending! Think MJG.

Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman. 

Some of my grandspawn hatched over the border. I've trained them to walk upright, not to grunt and hardest of all, to be generous -  put weights on their wrists to stretch their arms and sewed up their pocket bottoms. I christened them honorary lanckies. 

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Haha 1