Notice Alert

Rochdale Canal
Starts At: Lock 48
Ends At: Lock 1

Monday 6 August 2018 07:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Water resources

Update on 27/07/2018:

With regret, due to the serious shortfall in the water supply, we are having to bring forward the temporary closure of a large section of the Rochdale Canal with immediate effect as the hot, dry weather continues. Even if there is much welcome rainfall this weekend it is unlikely to make any immediate difference to the Canal water levels in the short term.

The temporary closure between locks 1 and 48 (from Sowerby Bridge to Littleborough) was due to take effect from Monday 6 August; however in practice, with water supplies continuing to decline, we can no longer support anything other than very local boat traffic in this section. The closure will also now include the stretch between locks 6 and 19 which we had originally planned to keep open for a period every day.  Instead we will be using a booking system all week operating between 12am and 2pm this is to conserve water and maintain levels we will be only allowing two boats per day should water supplies increases we will be able to review the number of boats we can assist through this section. All bookings must be made 24 hours in advance, weekend bookings must be made by no later than 4:00pm on Fridays.

All bookings are subject to change due to water levels. This booking system is only to allow our customers to get access boating facilities at Hebden bridge below lock 9.

To make a booking please call our Red Bull office on 0303 0404 040

@dmr I hope you made it to Todmorden Dave! 

Edited by TheBiscuits

We got to Tod yesterday, plenty of water all the way. We had a big audience and excitement at the Guillotine gate. Somebody came running up and told us we were much too big to fit and another demanded our BW key to work the gate for us. He had already demonstrated some incompetence in trying to wind down the top paddle so we declined his offer though I had to be quite forceful. We were quite a tight fit. We have done the Nene so were not too phased by this lock, it has bottom paddles so is quite tame. The Golden Lion has a rather lovely interior even though it stinks of hippies ?.

We would really like to get down to Hebdon in a couple of weeks time to get a pump out so I will talk to CaRT and see what can be done.

................Dave

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:45, nicknorman said:

Of course there are places to moor (more of that in a moment) but my point was that the only place that has designated CRT moorings with signage is Uppermills. Although on the offside there is room for 2 average length boats (3 short ones) half the mooring is effectively unavailable due to the tree stump that juts out and would impact the cabin sides of most boats including ours.

Yes you can moor in Stalybridge, but who would want to, it’s a dump with lots of dodgy people around (though to be fair, also lots of friendly people). This is why there are no boats moored there. The “offside” moorings still have full public access, though less footfall than the other side. We struggled to get alongside at Tesco’s due to some underwater obstruction (probably a trolley).

Well, if there are no VM signs in Stalybridge, they must have been nicked. Must go and have a look tonight.

Mooring in Stalybridge? Done it loads of times, and get no trouble at all. Perhaps it's because I'm pretty local.

It's also fairly uncommon to see no boats moored.

We are both old hippy types so reckon we will fit in ok at Hebdon, though I think our heterosexuality might be a slight problem ?. I think we are now most likely staying in these parts till March or April.

I suspect we will have another wet winter this year so we will keep a close eye on the weather forecasts and make a dash back up to the summit if things start to look bad.

................Dave

1 hour ago, billS said:

Nick is starting to sound like a mooring denier...

Careful, you will get the thread locked!

1 hour ago, mayalld said:

Well, if there are no VM signs in Stalybridge, they must have been nicked. Must go and have a look tonight.

Mooring in Stalybridge? Done it loads of times, and get no trouble at all. Perhaps it's because I'm pretty local.

It's also fairly uncommon to see no boats moored.

I think part of the trouble was my expectation from the description in the nicholsons, something about all the brightly painted boats making it resemble a Dutch canalside town. I might have missed signs but I was looking and didn’t see any. No boats on the way up last week, no boats on the way down this week.

But I’m sure you are right in that one could moor there safely, no worse than Castlefield I’m sure. It’s just that, compared to further up, it’s not particularly conducive to it.

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Careful, you will get the thread locked!

I think part of the trouble was my expectation from the description in the nicholsons, something about all the brightly painted boats making it resemble a Dutch canalside town. I might have missed signs but I was looking and didn’t see any. No boats on the way up last week, no boats on the way down this week.

But I’m sure you are right in that one could moor there safely, no worse than Castlefield I’m sure. It’s just that, compared to further up, it’s not particularly conducive to it.

Red Oxide Primer, Grey Oxide Primer, what more could you want???

...................Dave

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dr Bradley said:

I see water is being pumped from below lock one to the pound above tuel lane lock. Don't know if any more pumping further up but it suggests they are trying to get it open. 

How bad is it? maybe they are just trying to avoid doing a fish rescue, they did mention this in one of their notices.

We are hopelessly stuck in Todmorden so have resorted to checking out the local pubs. There was a steady flow of water over the lock bywash this morning and all pounds near here are full so water is making its way down. It has rained, not for long but it was serious rain,  and much more forecast for tomorrow.

.................Dave

56 minutes ago, dmr said:

How bad is it? maybe they are just trying to avoid doing a fish rescue, they did mention this in one of their notices.

We are hopelessly stuck in Todmorden so have resorted to checking out the local pubs. There was a steady flow of water over the lock bywash this morning and all pounds near here are full so water is making its way down. It has rained, not for long but it was serious rain,  and much more forecast for tomorrow.

.................Dave

The two alehouses are great.  

Imaginatively called "The Pub" and "The Ale House" they both do exactly what it says on the tin :D

17 hours ago, dmr said:

.................Dave

The Golden Lion does very good beer and excellent (and good value) Thai food -- just be careful if you ask for anything hot, the cook is a Thai lady and that's *exactly* what you'll get. My son and his GF had got back recently from Thailand and asked her if they could have a papaya salad (not on the menu) -- no problem, they said it was delicious and very like they'd had out there but in spite of liking spicy food it nearly blew my head off, had to drink lots of beer to compensate. Later on was a friendly (but very loud!) reggae night, the place was heaving with people having a good time, but we could still find a quieter corner at the back to talk and play crib.

Edited by IanD

Have already tested out the Golden Lion and "The Pub".  Golden Lion has a lovely old hippy feel to it. Timothy Taylor Boltmaker was good (as would be expected). A passing local has already told us that the food is very good and also warned us that hot really does mean hot. Very loud music and paid entry last night so stayed in boat, will probably return this evening. Could have handled the music but average age of customers looked about 14 and did not want to be totally the oldest person in the place ?.

The Pub (micro) was entertaining, a very loud and very drunk local was just ending an all day session and harassing a group of ladies (visiting from Manchester) in order to show off his knowledge of local football teams. One of these ladies had a truly encyclopaedic knowledge of football but I think he was too drunk to listen to her.

..............Dave

8 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

Was told by a local that there's one in Tod - by the first lock on the way down.

There's a big services right below the Guillotine lock but no pump out. There is a little on line marina below the next lock so maybe something there. We are ok for another two weeks or 4 weeks in frugal mode, but would like to get down to Hebden Bridge later this week anyway. Will talk to CaRT tomorro and see if we can move later in the week. Still hope to spend the winter CCing between Sowerby and the summit so need to learn about the facilities. Am a bit concerned because this will be a very short range and we do like moving, but the scenery and number of locks should compensate for the lack of miles.

..............Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

There's a big services right below the Guillotine lock but no pump out. There is a little on line marina below the next lock so maybe something there. We are ok for another two weeks or 4 weeks in frugal mode, but would like to get down to Hebden Bridge later this week anyway. Will talk to CaRT tomorro and see if we can move later in the week. Still hope to spend the winter CCing between Sowerby and the summit so need to learn about the facilities. Am a bit concerned because this will be a very short range and we do like moving, but the scenery and number of locks should compensate for the lack of miles.

..............Dave

Canalplan quote the Fielden Wharf elsan as suitable for self pumpout if that helps.

https://canalplan.org.uk/place/aa0l

32 minutes ago, dmr said:

Have already tested out the Golden Lion and "The Pub".  Golden Lion has a lovely old hippy feel to it. Timothy Taylor Boltmaker was good (as would be expected). A passing local has already told us that the food is very good and also warned us that hot really does mean hot. Very loud music and paid entry last night so stayed in boat, will probably return this evening. Could have handled the music but average age of customers looked about 14 and did not want to be totally the oldest person in the place ?.

The Pub (micro) was entertaining, a very loud and very drunk local was just ending an all day session and harassing a group of ladies (visiting from Manchester) in order to show off his knowledge of local football teams. One of these ladies had a truly encyclopaedic knowledge of football but I think he was too drunk to listen to her.

..............Dave

Loud music and (I think) paid entry the night we were there, but since we'd been in the pub since 7pm and eaten and were drinking steadily (and sitting at the back away from the music) they didn't charge us. Plenty of yoof there but also some older very "relaxed" people with dreads. Might have been the oldest people in the place if not for son and GF...

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Canalplan quote the Fielden Wharf elsan as suitable for self pumpout if that helps.

https://canalplan.org.uk/place/aa0l

Thanks, am moored right opposite the wharf. We do have a self pumpout kit but I regard it as a last resort. The wharf is a nice spot with a few benches and was quite popular before the rain came, in fact it was quite busy this morning despite the rain, and it doubles as a beer garden for the Golden Lion.  There is actually a bench located exactly where a self pumpout would be done so would need to choose our time carefully ?.

and we might upset the cafe:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g668290-d4700761-i262329593-Kava_Kafe-Todmorden_West_Yorkshire_England.html

..............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Thanks, am moored right opposite the wharf. We do have a self pumpout kit but I regard it as a last resort. The wharf is a nice spot with a few benches and was quite popular before the rain came, in fact it was quite busy this morning despite the rain, and it doubles as a beer garden for the Golden Lion.  There is actually a bench located exactly where a self pumpout would be done so would need to choose our time carefully ?.

and we might upset the cafe:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g668290-d4700761-i262329593-Kava_Kafe-Todmorden_West_Yorkshire_England.html

..............Dave

We moored at the wharf overnight right next to that bench, and in spite of the reggae inside the Golden Lion being *loud* it was inaudible on the boat. Also suggest you stroll up to the Bare Arts beer shop and gallery a couple of hundred yards back towards the summit, a couple of nice tables to sit at by the canal and some very nice bottled beers, we bought a mixed box for later consumption. Oh yes, the art is interesting too...

[assuming they're still open, both brewery and shop were up for sale last year]