What is the Rochdale actually like?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MartinClark said:

It was filled in at Sowerby Bridge and a road built on the line (above what is now the tunnel into Tuel Lane lock),
It was filled in near Rochdale and a motorway link road was built across it.

It was filled in at Castleton and a motorway  was built across it.

It was filled in at Failsworth and a supermarket was built across it.

I was wrong then :)

42 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Well you did have a window of opportunity to get through the Rochdale by 6 August. Not any more.  Tuel Lane Lock has been closed indefinitely with immediate effect!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13564/tuel-lock-rochdale-canal

Yea, saw that! So the answer to my question “What is the Rochdale actually like” is “Closed, just like the Huddersfield Narrow, the Leeds and Liverpool, the Peak Forest etc”. And yet there are still people on here determined to say that CRT are doing a great job! Weird!

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yea, saw that! So the answer to my question “What is the Rochdale actually like” is “Closed, just like the Huddersfield Narrow, the Leeds and Liverpool, the Peak Forest etc”. And yet there are still people on here determined to say that CRT are doing a great job! Weird!

Maybe they could all do a rain dance ...

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe they could all do a rain dance ...

Maybe they could carry out routine preventative maintenance to reduce leakage ...

To be fair, I haven’t experienced the standard of husbandry on the Rochdale, but on the Hud Narrow it is abysmal.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

Just now, nicknorman said:

Maybe they could reduce leakage ...

I'm hoping they are going to during the August stoppages. 

I have heard that some regions are putting "Flying Squads" of staff together to go and do as much as they can to prevent further leakage and fix some of the issues with lock gear while the stop planks are in.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

To be fair, I haven’t experienced the standard of husbandry on the Rochdale, but on the Hud Narrow it is abysmal.

Apparently it's almost non existent in Hebden Bridge.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm hoping they are going to during the August stoppages. 

I have heard that some regions are putting "Flying Squads" of staff together to go and do as much as they can to prevent further leakage and fix some of the issues with lock gear while the stop planks are in.

Well that would be good, but a pity they didn’t think of doing so before so many canals were closed. This year we had an opportunity to go out on the boat for 7 weeks and do all the waterways distant from our base. I doubt that opportunity will be repeated in my lifetime. Unfortunately the combination of low rainfall for the past couple of months, and a systemic lack of husbandry and general maintenance (whilst at the same time having the resources to put up endless shiny new blue signs) has scuppered that. I am pretty pissed of with that situation.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

4 hours ago, billS said:

Apparently it's almost non existent in Hebden Bridge.

☺️???

(There are one or two of us husbands in Hebden Bridge)

We are still moored on the lock landing on the summit. A boat came up today, that's three boat movements in the last week. We helped one of our group of three boats back down to Littleborough. Sad to be splitting up as we have had a great time with our new and diverse group of boaty friends. The water is still coming into the summit pound at the usual rate and the level is good. There was plenty of water all the way to Littleborough but the "broken" lock is a bit leaky and draining the pound above it. By most standards it isn't much of a leak but I suspect that as the general downward flow is much less than most canals it does not take much to upset the balance. Most of the lock gates are almost leak free.

Looks like we are trapped here for at least a month so the half baked plan to stay on the Rochdale till next March is firming up. Will start moving down towards Tod tomorrow as there is some navigation between Tod and Hebdon, and a water tap, and shops, and different pubs.

............Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

Will start moving down towards Tod tomorrow as there is some navigation between Tod and Hebdon, and a water tap, and shops, and different pubs.

We preferred Todmorden to Hebden Bridge, and would certainly prefer to be there for an extended period.

Just watch that the limited navigation CRT announced was between Todmorden and Mytholmroyd, not as far as Hebden.

Go to the chippy van in the car park of the pub in Mytholmroyd - best fish & chips we have had in years.

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We preferred Todmorden to Hebden Bridge, and would certainly prefer to be there for an extended period.

Just watch that the limited navigation CRT announced was between Todmorden and Mytholmroyd, not as far as Hebden.

Go to the chippy van in the car park of the pub in Mytholmroyd - best fish & chips we have had in years.

We are very new to this area, but I reckon Mytholmroyd is "downstream" of Hebdon so if CaRT maintain this range (lock 6 to 19) it will include Hebdon, though looking at the winding holes we will be effectively limited to Tod to Hebdon and even that will include a bit of reversing. Whatever cruising we do is going to involve a lot of locks. One of our group drove Gillie down to Tod for shopping and lunch a couple of days ago and she said it was a good place. We are both old hippies so reckon both Tod and Hebdon will be fine. Finding the people up here very friendly. They do like pies, we are both veggie but the cheese and cheese and onion pies are good, and they do real proper mushy peas, not of the pretentious pea puree stuff that you get down south.,

................Dave

3 minutes ago, MartinClark said:

Hebden Bridge is between Todmorden and Mytholmroyd.

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

We are very new to this area, but I reckon Mytholmroyd is "downstream" of Hebdon so if CaRT maintain this range (lock 6 to 19) it will include Hebdon,

Gah.  Brain fade!

You are of course both correct - I should check a map before posting and not rely on my memory.

I always remember where we have been, but not necessarily in the right order!

(Cue Andrew Preview sketch)

1 hour ago, dmr said:

We are very new to this area, but I reckon Mytholmroyd is "downstream" of Hebdon so if CaRT maintain this range (lock 6 to 19) it will include Hebdon, though looking at the winding holes we will be effectively limited to Tod to Hebdon and even that will include a bit of reversing.

Yes. The canal will be open as far as the top of lock 6, but the winding hole is below lock 5. Mind you, when we tried to wind Fulbourne there it was so silted up that we got about 1/3 way round and a ridge of mud appeared above water level alongside the boat!

With 6-19 open, at least the day hire boats from Brontë Boats can keep running.

Edited by David Mack

Been following this topic with interest as we've moved from Tod up to Walsden and back down again over the last couple of weeks. Above Tod, some low pounds but generally ok (and we're quite deep drafted).

Following the closure announcement yesterday we decided to try and get from Tod to Hebden today and sit out the closure there (both are good spots to be based, Hebden just more convenient for us). Plenty of water between locks 19 and 14, but from lock 14 on it has been tough going. With help from some day boaters on the ropes we got as far as lock 12, but no further. Currently grounded in the middle of the channel below lock 12, hoping some water appears tomorrow. CaRT have been out but wouldn't let any more water down, so we're blocking the channel until things change.

I don't think there will be much opportunity for cruising between Tod and Hebden during the closure, and maybe not even for the next few days unless CaRT can do something.

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

☺️???

(There are one or two of us husbands in Hebden Bridge)

However Hebden is reputedly the home of many female husbands. 

10 hours ago, BoatyCath said:

Been following this topic with interest as we've moved from Tod up to Walsden and back down again over the last couple of weeks. Above Tod, some low pounds but generally ok (and we're quite deep drafted).

Following the closure announcement yesterday we decided to try and get from Tod to Hebden today and sit out the closure there (both are good spots to be based, Hebden just more convenient for us). Plenty of water between locks 19 and 14, but from lock 14 on it has been tough going. With help from some day boaters on the ropes we got as far as lock 12, but no further. Currently grounded in the middle of the channel below lock 12, hoping some water appears tomorrow. CaRT have been out but wouldn't let any more water down, so we're blocking the channel until things change.

I don't think there will be much opportunity for cruising between Tod and Hebden during the closure, and maybe not even for the next few days unless CaRT can do something.

Thanks. So we have at least three forum members up here!  Will be no problem if we have to moor up for a month, looks like lots of good hill walking in these  parts. Will  aim for Tod over the next couple of days. Top priority is to find a water tap to fill up now, and then would like to find a spot not too far from a tap (or a friendly local who will sell us water).  There's still lots of water on the summit and its still coming in but maybe its all going down the Littleborough way. The boat that arrived yesterday has just set off (they thought they were going to Sowerby till we told them about your post) and we are going a little later so there are two lock fulls of water heading your way. What is Walsden like?

...............Dave