What is the Rochdale actually like?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Well here we are waiting to go through Standedge, but lock 9E is still closed and looks like it will remain so for at least another week - a week when we have the in-laws staying on the boat. Curses, don’t want to wait 5 days to go through (with no certainty as to when it will open). So booked to go back through the tunnel on Monday and retrace our steps. So now the only way over the Pennines is via the Rochdale. A lorra locks down to Manchester and then even more and wide locks to get back to the same level we are now. And the E side of the Rochdale seems a bit squeaky water wise. But I’ve heard tales of how nasty the Rochdale is around Failsworth etc. Is it really that bad? Especially now the school holidays are starting. Timing couldn’t be worse! At least they have once again cancelled our Liverpool booking for 20th August so that is one less thing to stress about.

But it’s either that or go back south to where the canals mostly work and are vaguely navigable and life is less stressful!

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well here we are waiting to go through Standedge, but lock 9E is still closed and looks like it will remain so for at least another week - a week when we have the in-laws staying on the boat. Curses, don’t want to wait 5 days to go through (with no certainty as to when it will open). So booked to go back through the tunnel on Monday and retrace our steps. So now the only way over the Pennines is via the Rochdale. A lorra locks down to Manchester and then even more and wide locks to get back to the same level we are now. And the E side of the Rochdale seems a bit squeaky water wise. But I’ve heard tales of how nasty the Rochdale is around Failsworth etc. Is it really that bad? Especially now the school holidays are starting. Timing couldn’t be worse! At least they have once again cancelled our Liverpool booking for 20th August so that is one less thing to stress about.

But it’s either that or go back south to where the canals mostly work and are vaguely navigable and life is less stressful!

Thoughts?

The Rochdale is worth doing in its own right, not just as a way through.

Tuel Lane and the summit are on restricted opening at the moment, but shouldn't be unduly constraining.

The reputation for nasty bits is undeserved. Rochdale centre is a bit grotty, but not that long a section to pass through. I've not had problems on the section from Failsworth into Manchester, but I think CRT will still organise a volunteer accompaniment down this section if you want it. Ian Mac of this parish was the CRT volunteer when Fulbourne made the passage a few years back.

There are a lot of locks, but most of them aren't any heavier than wide locks elsewhere. And you can share if someone else is going the same way.

We took my American daughter-in-law's family on a day boat trip from Hebden Bridge most of the way to Todmorden and back last month and they absolutely loved it.

Go for it!

(But as a Hebden Bridge resident, I'm probably biased).

I've only done the "fearsome" lower 9 on the Rochdale which, as you're aware, you'll turn right just before. However, I did the Ashton last week, mostly in the rain.

First thing, be aware that there are a few very low bridges between Dukinfield Junction and Ducie Street Junction, plus an unavoidable willow close to Fairfield Junction at the top of the Ashton 18 which will give your roof a damned good sweeping! We just cleared one by a few mm and literally (not figuratively!) scraped under another.

We were the first boat through, starting the top lock (all 18 are single locks) about 0800 on Friday morning. The first thing we found was that only our spare handcuff key fit the lock on the paddles.  Looking at out regular key, it is a wee bit fatter and that's why it wouldn't enter the keyway deep enough, but it's never had an issue elsewhere.  Many paddles are very stiff to operate, others wind themselves closed again if you don't refit the anti vandal flap, and a handful of the paddles don't work: one if those is indicating open, but I don't think it is. Some of the lower gates open behind you as you leave.  As I said we were first down and we passed four boats coming up - which momentarily cheered us up,  only to dash our hopes repeatedly as only the final 2 locks were in our favour. 

We encountered only friendly folk but most of the area had feeling of neglect - CRT appear to have embraced that feeling for their infrastructure. The least enjoyable flight we've done in a while (including the Rochdale 9 the day after), just because it was bleak and hard work: it might feel different in the sunshine! :D

If it's a peaceful night you're after before turning up the Rochdale, Thomas Telford Basin in Picadilly is very pleasant and secure - so secure you'll have to ask a resident for the key code if you want to get out and explore. From the sign it looks like there's no mooring, but read on and it permits one night.  Prior to that, between lock 2 and lock 1, there's a lift bridge beyond which is Islington basin. We couldn't work out whether that was an accessible mooring to the general boating public as research was conflicting - one article cited it as one of Manchester's best kept secrets. I'd agree with that!

Hope that's of some use.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I've only done the "fearsome" lower 9 on the Rochdale which, as you're aware, you'll turn right just before. However, I did the Ashton last week, mostly in the rain.

First thing, be aware that there are a few very low bridges between Dukinfield Junction and Ducie Street Junction, plus an unavoidable willow close to Fairfield Junction at the top of the Ashton 18 which will give your roof a damned good sweeping! We just cleared one by a few mm and literally (not figuratively!) scraped under another.

We were the first boat through, starting the top lock (all 18 are single locks) about 0800 on Friday morning. The first thing we found was that only our spare handcuff key fit the lock on the paddles.  Looking at out regular key, it is a wee bit fatter and that's why it wouldn't enter the keyway deep enough, but it's never had an issue elsewhere.  Many paddles are very stiff to operate, others wind themselves closed again if you don't refit the anti vandal flap, and a handful of the paddles don't work: one if those is indicating open, but I don't think it is. Some of the lower gates open behind you as you leave.  As I said we were first down and we passed four boats coming up - which momentarily cheered us up,  only to dash our hopes repeatedly as only the final 2 locks were in our favour. 

We encountered only friendly folk but most of the area had feeling of neglect - CRT appear to have embraced that feeling for their infrastructure. The least enjoyable flight we've done in a while (including the Rochdale 9 the day after), just because it was bleak and hard work: it might feel different in the sunshine! :D

If it's a peaceful night you're after before turning up the Rochdale, Thomas Telford Basin in Picadilly is very pleasant and secure - so secure you'll have to ask a resident for the key code if you want to get out and explore. From the sign it looks like there's no mooring, but read on and it permits one night.  Prior to that, between lock 2 and lock 1, there's a lift bridge beyond which is Islington basin. We couldn't work out whether that was an accessible mooring to the general boating public as research was conflicting - one article cited it as one of Manchester's best kept secrets. I'd agree with that!

Hope that's of some use.

Thanks for that, although in truth we too have done the Ashton canal with similar feelings to you, and overnighted in Thomas Telford basin. But we then turned left, whereas now we may need to turn right!

46 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Thanks Alan, you make it sound not too bad! Maybe we will get some record for ascending the Pennines twice in a week!

45 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The Rochdale is worth doing in its own right, not just as a way through.

Tuel Lane and the summit are on restricted opening at the moment, but shouldn't be unduly constraining.

The reputation for nasty bits is undeserved. Rochdale centre is a bit grotty, but not that long a section to pass through. I've not had problems on the section from Failsworth into Manchester, but I think CRT will still organise a volunteer accompaniment down this section if you want it. Ian Mac of this parish was the CRT volunteer when Fulbourne made the passage a few years back.

There are a lot of locks, but most of them aren't any heavier than wide locks elsewhere. And you can share if someone else is going the same way.

We took my American daughter-in-law's family on a day boat trip from Hebden Bridge most of the way to Todmorden and back last month and they absolutely loved it.

Go for it!

(But as a Hebden Bridge resident, I'm probably biased).

Thanks, not too bad then!

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

We did the Rochdale several years ago and although it was hard work in places the scenery was wonderful. 

Go for it! 

Haggis 

Yes I’m gradually taking Jeff round to it. But having gone up the Hud  through the tunnel and a day down the E side, a day back up, then back down the W side, then up the Rochdale and down the other side, that is a lot of locks and Jeff might get lock refusal syndrome like he did once before!

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes I’m gradually taking Jeff round to it. But having gone up the Hud  through the tunnel and a day down the E side, a day back up, then back down the W side, then up the Rochdale and down the other side, that is a lot of locks and Jeff might get lock refusal syndrome like he did once before!

The answer is obvious! Jeff steers and you do the locks! Or if you are steering, you tear yourself away from the tiller and do your share. I don't know if you do or not but if Iain stayed at the tiller going through locks he would be looking for another wife :-). I am always amazed by how many men stay holding the tiller while their good lady does all the work.  OK if the are physically unable but what is to stop them getting off and doing their bit? 

haggis

Edited by haggis

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

The answer is obvious! Jeff steers and you do the locks! Or if you are steering, you tear yourself away from the tiller and do your share. I don't know if you do or not but if Iain stayed at the tiller going through locks he would be looking for another wife :-). I am always amazed by how many men stay holding the tiller while their good lady does all the work.  OK if the are physically unable but what is to stop them getting off and doing their bit? 

haggis

We do swap around but I mostly steer and Jeff mostly works locks. Because I am better at steering and Jeff is better at locking. That said, when steering going down I normally close the top gate and going up I normally open gate, close paddles, move boat out and close gate. So as the steerer, steering is not all I do!

But yes, I can see I shall have to do my share of paddle winding over the next week or so!

18 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We do swap around but I mostly steer and Jeff mostly works locks. Because I am better at steering and Jeff is better at locking. That said, when steering going down I normally close the top gate and going up I normally open gate, close paddles, move boat out and close gate. So as the steerer, steering is not all I do!

But yes, I can see I shall have to do my share of paddle winding over the next week or so!

Hardly a 50/50 division of labour! You need to get that windlass working. On narrow locks, going down, I open the gate and close the paddle on my side and when iain has the boat in he lock, he gets off, closes the other top paddle and opens the bottom paddle on that side and if I am not there yet, he crosses and opens my paddle too. When the lock is ready, he opens gates, closes paddles gets back on the boat and leaves the lock, stops and shuts gates.   I meanwhile have the next lock ready. On broad locks, I often just work the paddles on one side. When Iain brings the boat in he hands me the centre rope which has a nice loop on the end and this I put over the bollard nearest the top gate. With the boat is slow ahead she comes in and sits obediently at the side while Iain gets off and opens the paddle etc. I have shut the top gate and walked to the next lock. 

It helps if you have an obedient boat :-) . In narrow locks she is always positioned against the gates and we open the paddles about 4 inches, pause a second or two while she gets herself into position and then whack up the paddles. 

Just a suggestion but more paddle winding by you will no doubt make Jeff a lot happier :-) 

haggis

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Bribe him while you are on the Hudd - go to Rumpus in Slaithwaite for an awesome burger!

I'd advise asking local CRT staff about the Rochdale - when we came down the Ashton last week we met a couple of boats who had tried and failed to get up from Manchester.

If you are really brave, cross your fingers on lock 9E opening and do all the Huddersfield (narrow & broad), do the top of the Calder & Hebble and do the Rochdale on the way back over the Pennines :)

It's actually easier to go from east to west on the Rochdale, as you carry water down through Chadderton.

Well worth doing, we really enjoyed it.  Just do an absolute minimum of revving the prop in the 29 locks from the Rose of Lancaster down into Manchester, or you will spend longer down the weed hatch than steering

Do it, it is simply stunning as well as being a challenge. It's hard work and the stretch from Manchester through Rochdale is not the most salubrious, but still interesting nonetheless. If you're lucky enough to find a boat to share with it will make the trip much easier. If you want my journey log from last year I can send you it, and we did it this very same time last year.

Just now, rgreg said:

Do it, it is simply stunning as well as being a challenge. It's hard work and the stretch from Manchester through Rochdale is not the most salubrious, but still interesting nonetheless. If you're lucky enough to find a boat to share with it will make the trip much easier. If you want my journey log from last year I can send you it, and we did it this very same time last year.

Thanks, all information is good information!

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Thanks, all information is good information!

Day 1 Piccadilly Basin to Rose of Lancaster  8hrs

Day 2 Rose of Lancaster to Littleborough       7hrs

Day 3 Littleborough to Walsden.                        6hrs

Day 4 Walsden to Hebden Bridge.                     7hrs

Day 5 Hebden Bridge

Day 6 Hebden Bridge to Sowerby Bridge.         4hrs

We then carried on to the Calder and Hebble and back over the Leeds and Liverpool but, of course, this won't be an option in a couple of weeks time.

8 hours ago, rgreg said:

Day 1 Piccadilly Basin to Rose of Lancaster  8hrs

Day 2 Rose of Lancaster to Littleborough       7hrs

Day 3 Littleborough to Walsden.                        6hrs

Day 4 Walsden to Hebden Bridge.                     7hrs

Day 5 Hebden Bridge

Day 6 Hebden Bridge to Sowerby Bridge.         4hrs

We then carried on to the Calder and Hebble and back over the Leeds and Liverpool but, of course, this won't be an option in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks. If and when we manage to get over the Pennines we’ll come back via the Trent.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Thanks. If and when we manage to get over the Pennines we’ll come back via the Trent.

The rgreg plan is a good one. Generally I would prefer the Rochdale as it's possible to double up with another boat on most of the locks (look for the signs on the ones you can't). The summit and Yorkshire side are very scenic, breathtakingly so. The issue currently, according to local knowledge, is the low pounds between Hebden Bridge and Sowerby Bridge. The long pound above Tuel is usually shallow even when it's raining. Some friends turned back a fortnight ago because of the hard going in low levels. I'm down at the Boat Club this weekend so I'll see if there's any more up to date local info.

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well worth doing, we really enjoyed it.  Just do an absolute minimum of revving the prop in the 29 locks from the Rose of Lancaster down into Manchester, or you will spend longer down the weed hatch than steering

I'd second this, but include all the way through Rochdale too. Come in to the locks slow and minimise the amount of reversing to stop. Same with leaving, minimise the engine speed and don't stir up the horribleness. It seems that the locals still use the canal as the municipal tip. Never encountered that much rubbish, or spent that long down the weed hatch anywhere and I've done much of the BCN. Nice people otherwise for the most part. East of Rochdale, the canal is a delight.

Jen

16 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Nice people otherwise for the most part. 

Jen

I imagine them as being like Gracie Fields or Bill Oddie - or, if you're unlucky, Sir Cyril Smith.

I think I may be the sole voice against the Rochdale. We did it in April from east to west before the nice weather and had low cloud so didn't see any scenery. We picked up rubbish around the prop in Rochdale itself which required a whole new propshaft. My wife does the locking and found them to be very stiff and heavy - often impossible to open on her own and she is a determined sort. The only highlight was to have help from volunteer Ian on the run down into Manchester.  Maybe we were just unlucky but we won't be doing it again.

29 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Maybe we were just unlucky but we won't be doing it again.

Other than an unavoidable transit to get elsewhere, I see no reason to revisit the Manchester canals. They look and feel like no-one really cares about them and the canal, even at the vaunted Castlfield, appears to be seen as a place to get hammered through drink or drugs. Sad.

1 hour ago, Nick D said:

I think I may be the sole voice against the Rochdale. We did it in April from east to west before the nice weather and had low cloud so didn't see any scenery. We picked up rubbish around the prop in Rochdale itself which required a whole new propshaft. My wife does the locking and found them to be very stiff and heavy - often impossible to open on her own and she is a determined sort. The only highlight was to have help from volunteer Ian on the run down into Manchester.  Maybe we were just unlucky but we won't be doing it again.

My mooring is at the very eastern end of the Rochdale, below Lock 1 (when I can get back to it - the boat was last there in April 2017).  Up to a few years ago I'd not been further than Littleborough, but decided I really should traverse my 'home' canal.   I'm sort of glad I did it, but like you I won't be doing it again.